Concern: Multiplayer Ban Distribution Method

Users who are viewing this thread

Good afternoon.

After arriving home from the coffee shop, I launch Bannerlord, per my usual daily routine, and find that I am banned from multiplayer for one day for the reason of team killing and friendly fire. This is concerning to me, here is why.

My questions are as follows:

1. How are bans decided?
A. From what I can tell it is due to how many reports are filed on a player, if this is the case then this method of banning is highly inefficient, mainly because a clan, or group of friends can simply all file a report on the same person if they are not on good terms with them, or hold grudges, leading to the appearance of wrong-doing when in fact nothing may have happened at all.

2. Who distributes bans?
A. Is there a said person in charge of going into player reports and evaluating the integrity of the reports, or is it simply a matter of quantity over validity? This should be addressed in my personal opinion.

I am very disheartened that I cannot play Multiplayer, as a leader of one of the only active, and largest NA clans, this is difficult for not only me but my other members that expect clan matches and to be mentored, taught, and more. I do hope that we can get a clear answer as to how bans are distributed so we can better prepare ourselves for wrongful-reports in the future.

Thank you for taking the time to read over this @Callum

- ChristopherR

Last edited:
Recently, other people in our clan have been muted/banned as well despite nothing having been said that was toxic. It is a little confusing with a lack of transparency and people being punished that have done nothing wrong.

I used to play with Christopher in Bannerlord and he has never been an intentional TKer. Back when I played with him, he was an offensive archer and would rack up some team damage because of his aggressive shots, but that's about it. I have routinely met trolls and career TKers ever since the game came out, and where are their bans? I still see them every time I get on to play the game, but Chris, who i've never seen intentionally teamkill, gets the banhammer?

I really hope you don't hand out bans just from player-reports because if thats the case, you're going to have a lot of people abuse the system.

Also, thank you for Bannerlord - Sincerely, a long-time player of Warband.

yes getting a bunch of random people to come here and speak in your favour is sure gonna do something. same as tagging an account thats been offline for 12 years :--D
looking at the rest of your posts I have a lot of doubt your ban was unjustified but since you have posted here, Im sure someone will review your punishment and let us know :smile:

Oh gee golly, who could have seen such issues arise with a report system disenfranchising players?
Jul 21, 2020
1. Reporting systems have not worked fine on countless numbers of games, as evidenced the massive controversies across almost every multiplayer genre from RTS to FPS in esports communities.

2. If people could distinguish the difference between hate speech and regular speech to any type of regular consensus we probably would have had world peace by now. This is an incredibly silly and indefensible argument.

3/4. Taleworlds may make official server rules according to Turkish standards, and if you think censorship is exclusive to China and the Asian region as a whole you are in for a very rude awakening. Also, once Taleworlds begins to censor any type of speech they become a "publisher" for any speech on their game instead of a "platform". When one becomes a "publisher" as opposed to a "platform" they are responsible for any speech on their platform according to US law. When this occurs Taleworlds will probably be responsible for ALL SPEECH including on the custom servers they allow to be hosted (probably, this becomes a pretty big legal grey area)... If you cannot see the repercussions that would occur from this type of occurrence then I do not know how to explain it in a way you can understand, to put it shortly, people make their own rules on custom servers, as they can range in anything from some form of angsty teenager medieval roleplay from a type of roast-like comedy club. If Taleworlds makes the decision to ban people from custom servers by allowing them to be reported and building this into the game, they WILL be killing their entire NA custom server community, probably also snuffing out the possibility for any mods similar to PW until this foolish policy would be changed.

Here is a solution: add a mute button where people can permanently choose not to participate in the speech of others.
(Point three in that one has more to do with the context of the thread it was in -- with report system being implemented on custom servers as a possibility in the future)

Yeah but that is not really professional (and who is in charge with mutes and bans? Taleworlds doesent tell us)... Usually games have some sort of very clear instruction on how to appeal mutes/bans and a dedicated appeal system feature...

He makes a point that there probably should be a way to appeal mutes and bans besides complaining on the forum on the off chance a TW employee notices...

Edit: Sad!

Yeah @FearSpear I just don't get how they can ban someone for team killing, if it's excessive and repetitive I'm all for it but accidents happen and I invest all of my online time to playing multiplayer. It's the only game I play currently, and has been such for the past 3 months. At least give me a screenshot or evidence of my wrong-doing and give me a platform to dispute it and argue my case. Otherwise it's just he said she said report and "justice" is served.

If Taleworlds wants Bannerlord a triple A multiplayer game, they certainly have to develop some sort of dedicated area/process for appealing bans/mutes, along with the accused having the ability to see the evidence presented against them.

I have a few ideas of how they can accomplish such an appeal process, but I think they should be focusing their effort on making their game playable considering they wont have anybody to ban if game development continues to crawl along like it is currently.

Back
Top Bottom