Computer Keeps Powering Off

Users who are viewing this thread

My computer keeps randomly shutting off, and, while a big annoyance, especially in the middle of competitive games, I'm afraid something serious is wrong with it. It doesn't close all my open applications then slowly turn off like I've clicked "Shutdown," but it instantly turns completely off and makes the little hum sound, just like it does when the power dies. My brother said that he's checked the cords and they're plugged in tight, so I'm not sure what's going on. Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be, and how I could go about fixing it?

Could be anything, need more details to narrow it down a touch. Like, does it only happen when gaming? How long is the computer usually been running when it happens? With the cables mention I'd presume it's not a laptop, but confirmation on that might help as well. How many watts can your PSU output? Do you have anything else plugged to where the compy gets the power and do they cut out as well? Posting compy specs in general probably wouldn't hurt either.

Could be something overheating and forcing an emergency shutdown or power supply not being able to keep up with whatever's happening. Or could just be some hardware on its way out.

Not a laptop, no. Happens when it's idle as well as when I'm gaming, it's shutdown when I've had my computer on for ages, and when it's only been on a few hours, PS3 and TV are plugged into same place computer gets power from, but they never go out when it does, 500 wats.

http://gyazo.com/96b9bd96ab8c32809e66cf7138a9b160

http://gyazo.com/6d123ff3c49fe9ee75a8350b3fd74f1d

An instant power failure is likely a hardware problem, up to and including overheating. Check everything you can, and try to replace with known working parts if possible to troubleshoot the malicious component.

Can hardly think of anything else except an overheating problem. When was the last time you cleaned it? Electronics attract dust like cake shop draws fatties. You can use a normal vacuum/hoover to get all the dust out, just be careful not to hit anything with it.

Back
Top Bottom