Computer freezes after Windows logo

Users who are viewing this thread

Frosty

Grandmaster Knight
Specs: i5 3570, GTX 970, 8GB RAM, Windows 10 64bit

Started my computer today, was running fine and everything and then it just freezed and I had to turn it off by the button. Restarted, now it keeps freezing on the startup logo (with the five twirling dots) or it will get past that and my TV will lose signal(like my HDMI is not connected), but my PC is still on.

The only way for my PC to work is if I enter the BIOS and double click the hard drive and it boots up fine, it will just randomly freeze my pc though and I'd rather fix it.

My guess it could be a hard drive fault. Hoping it's nothing to do with my graphics card because that would suck.

I have done a windows 10 reset and it booted fine leading me to believe drivers are to blame, as it started again when I restarted to apply updates...

Any advice would be great!

Disclaimer:
I am no tech or a computer expert so take my advice with a grain of salt. However, I am a DIY computer guy and what I lack in knowledge I just bludgeon with ceaseless internet research. I built my own system and never take my PC into a repair shop. Those guys usually do a half ass job anyway.

First, I would open the case and check to make sure everything is connected properly, HD, GPU, CPU fan, Memory is seated properly etc.

In the past, I have used event viewer to find problems like slow boot times etc. I think once I had a similar issue with newly installed software that was giving me errors on post. Event Viewer can help you ID any software that is causing you post problems. In my case I just removed the software because it was more trouble than it was worth, problem solved.

Use Windows 7 Event Viewer to track down issues that cause slower boot times

Anyway, PC problems are solved through trial and error. i.e. check one thing; move on to the next.

Here's a good guide to get started if you want to do it yourself:

Fix: Windows 10/8/7 Hangs or Freezes

PS. i would ignore the recommended download on the above site.

Good Luck!

Splintert said:
No, really, not using Windows 10 solves so many problems. I can't even imagine how you guessed to turn off integrated graphics, good troubleshooting.

True I guess, but it's the only major I've had so far so I'll keep going for now. It is annoying when it downloads drivers with windows update, whose idea was that??

People who don't understand that the operating system is the basic building block of the modern PC and its very easy to mess up, I suppose.

You can at least disable automatic updating if you go through some hoops and rings of fire. Fortunately they have an option to set wireless networks as "metered connection", making Windows not automatically download updates. Of course that option isn't available for wired networks, so not much use for a desktop.

Back
Top Bottom