Computer crashes when using Direct3D 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Amagic

Baron
Basically in the title. Whenever I run something that uses DX10 my computer screen goes black and nothing functions, so I have to restart. I haven't touched any of the hardware and software, reinstalled DirectX a million times and checked my drivers. The GPU is an ATI Radeon HD 4870 and has worked fine for the past 2 years, the problem only came up recently.

I've tried running a bunch of tools like VMT and Kombustion. The problem disappeared for a while, I thought reinstalling DirectX fixed it, but it came back only hours later.

Running older games works fine, but anything with DirectX seems to crash my computer instantly.

I would prefer helpful advice that didn't include "get a new graphics card lol", thank you.

No. I think DX9 worked before, but I must've messed that up as well when I fiddled around with stuff to fix my problem.

I'm no expert but perhaps fully troubleshooting the video card should come before reinstalling the entire operating system.

Troubleshooting told me that my video card is 100% functional, which is horse****.

ancalimon said:
Does this happen also with a newly installed Windows? (To rule out software problems you did this?)

I'll probably try to format.

A virus scan probably wouldn't hurt, either. Can't say I've had video card failures from viruses, but I have had programs simply refusing to launch because of one.

Do you have an integrated GPU? Try enabling it and using it if you know how. If DirectX works there, it's a driver/hardware issue with your GPU.

If not, uninstall DirectX and your video drivers, then reinstall both and see if any simple game works.

If not, nuclear option.

My graphics card is an ATI Radeon HD 4870. I actually discovered some windows updates that I hadn't applied (55 of them, wtf), but halfway through my computer crashed the same way when I try to use DirectX. I have a feeling that uninstalling and reinstalling them will still make it crash. Might as well give it a try though.

Try to complete your Windows updates, definitely. It's not good to let them pile up that much. :razz:

I leave my automatic updating off completely, it rather irritates me, but I still make sure to turn it on at least once every couple months.

Thing is, I've always kept mine on. Constantly buggering me about installing and restarting my computer and I let the process go through. Now it tells me I got 55 ****ing updates and that I haven't done **** since ****ing 2012. It's bull****.

And I try to update but it keeps crashing. I'm guessing at the part where its updating video card stuff.

I don't think Windows updates video cards.

Go here: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+7+-+64

The link is for a Windows 7 64-bit installation.

Back
Top Bottom