Complete lack of Immersion

Users who are viewing this thread

It's easy. The games are more and more mass-product now. It's not the thing for niche kind of people or audience. Everyone now more or less plays the games. And MOST people tend to prefer their games being casual and not very deep. Pretty graphics and easy to learn controls and you're done.
This is why good games are hard to come by now

You must buy very few games...
I bought a lot of games over the past 40+ years, but don't buy more than 1-3 in any given year. My game library includes a lot of strategy games, open world RPGs, and city/empire builders, mostly things with near-infinite replay value. Examples I own:

Morrowind
Oblivion
X3:Terran Conflict
Hearts of Iron III
Victoria 2
Mount & Blade (and Warband)
Europa Universalis III
Close Combat 1-4
Chariots of War
Sparta

Every one of those games is suitable for replay with a different character, culture, or course of action, allowing you to play it over and over and get a different experience each time. I simply have no interest in most linear "once and done" games, where your choices don't make fundamental changes in the course of the game. M&B (and Warband) allow you to play your character in entirely different ways from the previous run, to choose a different faction to join (or remain independent), and to affect the course of events in ways that aren't pre-defined and the same every game. Without player agency, there's no point, in my opinion. Problem is, while Bannerlord allows a lot of freedom to choose, most of those choices currently don't do anything meaningful, so it gets tedious and there's a lot less reason to repeat the experience.

The later posts about the changing game market are an understatement. In the past, computer games were a niche market for the few technically inclined individuals who were willing and able to operate one of those complex and daunting computers, and most of them highly detail-oriented and/or compulsive micromanagers. As computers became mainstream and operating systems allowed easy point-and-click operation that even children could understand and do, simpler and less confusing games were latched onto by the new users, and it became profitable to sell simpler games or simplified versions of previous games. In essence, the techies who started the trend and the more detail-oriented new users were left behind by the industry. They're still around, and still buying games, but very little is being made for them anymore. Rather than having a major share of that little "cupcake" of a niche market, everyone wants to compete with the hundreds of other developers for a sliver of that full gaming market pie.

I really hope Taleworlds will get it together now after the refactor and put some serious resources towards fleshing out the game, as it stands bannerlord is shallow as a puddle. Outdone by the likes of warband and viking conquest as evidenced by that other thread

The 87% positive review score (on steam at least) is all from people who left meme reviews within minutes of the game releasing. I honestly think people should be forced to play at least 2 hours of the game before reviewing, and get prompted to leave a review if they refund it. Otherwise it just amounts to a shallow popularity contest.
You keep saying that, but it's still not true. :sneaky:
If you sort by playtime of over 10h it's 89% positive reviews.
Over 100h it's 86% positive reviews.

This has been explained many many times. Modding the game is not the same as developing the game. Mod makers have one very specific goal to achieve and do not need to worry about any repercussions it might have. Does it bloat the game files? Does it cause lag? Does it effect any other component of the game? Does it support future content? Does it work with up-coming changes? Do these changes need to be agreed before implementation with management?

All these and more are questions which never pass through a modders head.Yes they do good work but all they do is change 1-2 lines of code and call it a day. Thats not game development - that's slapping a bandaid on. I am glad modders do their work but people need to stop making the comparison.
well said

After lords are defeated, within 4-5 in game days they again attack with same quality and quantity troops. why?
Why so fast? how they manage to gather 3-5 tier fresh troops even 6 tier sometimes.

You keep saying that, but it's still not true. :sneaky:
If you sort by playtime of over 10h it's 89% positive reviews.
Over 100h it's 86% positive reviews.

That's not exactly what I was talking about. If you sort by playtime, about 75% of the reviews are made by people who had less than 4 hours (i.e. a single session). This suggests that most people were using the reviews as a way of "boosting" a game they want to succeed, rather than actually critiquing the game.

That's not exactly what I was talking about. If you sort by playtime, about 75% of the reviews are made by people who had less than 4 hours (i.e. a single session). This suggests that most people were using the reviews as a way of "boosting" a game they want to succeed, rather than actually critiquing the game.
Except that it's not.
Added image for easy clarification
qeUJmIb.jpg

Last edited:
After lords are defeated, within 4-5 in game days they again attack with same quality and quantity troops. why?
Why so fast? how they manage to gather 3-5 tier fresh troops even 6 tier sometimes.
They spawn with a small core army but the "problem" is that they can recruit from each village, even raided villages. Or villages you´ve recruited all troops 10 seconds before. 5 AI lords can go to the same raided village within 2 seconds and all of them can recruit the same amount of troops.

In my opinion they respawn way to fast and also escape to fast if you take them as a prisoner. So the only valid option to get rid of them is to chop off their head. But then of course everybody hates you :smile: .

the "problem" is that they can recruit from each village, even raided villages. Or villages you´ve recruited all troops 10 seconds before. 5 AI lords can go to the same raided village within 2 seconds and all of them can recruit the same amount of troops.
Neither of those things is true.

The game specifically disallows AI lords from visiting looted villages. The only exception to that is if the player physically drags them into the village as part of an army, in which case yes they can recruit from looted villages (which should be fixed). Otherwise there is no way for them to enter a fully looted village.

Likewise, the game checks to make sure there is a recruit available in a specific slot before letting an AI lord recruit from it. If there are no recruits in slots that have been unlocked by the lord, then the lord cannot recruit anything.

The game specifically disallows AI lords from visiting looted villages. The only exception to that is if the player physically drags them into the village as part of an army, in which case yes they can recruit from looted villages (which should be fixed). Otherwise there is no way for them to enter a fully looted village.

Likewise, the game checks to make sure there is a recruit available in a specific slot before letting an AI lord recruit from it. If there are no recruits in slots that have been unlocked by the lord, then the lord cannot recruit anything.
I´ve seen it, but it was on 1.4.1 or even 1.4 not sure.

I´ve seen it, but it was on 1.4.1 or even 1.4 not sure.
If you've got a video of it happening, I'd love to see it.

We're also talking about recent/present patches. What I said is definitely the case for 1.4.2 and 1.4.3, but I don't know how far back it applies. It was likely the case for 1.4.1 and 1.4.0 too, but I'd have to redownload old patches to say for sure.

[...]
The games are more and more mass-product now. It's not the thing for niche kind of people or audience. Everyone now more or less plays the games. And MOST people tend to prefer their games being casual and not very deep. Pretty graphics and easy to learn controls and you're done.
[...]
This video very well explained what is going on with gaming and why at the moment (and its an old video). It was in my recomended 2 days ago.
Sad thing is, i recognize this in the rethoric used for Bannerlord - "it would be too complex for the new players" :neutral:

Last edited:
This video very well explained what is going on with gaming and why at the moment (and its an old video). It was in my recomended 2 days ago.
Sad thing is, i recognize this in the rethoric used for Bannerlord - "it would be too complex for the new players" :neutral:

Apparently formations are getting revamped in the next update so maybe we can expect more depth into the game in the following patches, I think they should add way more dynamic mechanics that influence one and another. Dealing with fiefs should be soooooooo much deeper, being a vassal it's boring and it's just waiting for the next war to happen and defend your castle against hords of enemies only to retake it again and again and again. And being a mercenary is just plain nothingness and struggling to get your wages paid, and that is not a deep difficulty is just a void frustration

On another note, the tutorial section on that video is quite interesting, and it reminds me that Bannerlord's tutorial is very very bad "interaction is disabled during tutorial" is probably the laziest writing I've seen in my life since you could just easily make those peasents say "go talk with the notable" or something that a professional writer could do with just putting some creativity into it, but on the other side, I feel like they could teach the player about formations and how to deal with certain kind of enemies by just putting characters that give that kind of information. In Brytenwalda there was a lord that was a famous tactician and gave the player the info that he needed, like how shield wall worked against what kind of enemies. For example, I dont have any idea of what difference there is between shield wall and loose formation, if only a character inside this game told me what was this or that for it would make it very easy, and that way I wouldnt have to watch a YouTube video or a long forum text that explained it, it would be included inside the game! This game is very selective on telling you how things works and you end up being in the dark in 50% of everything.

After dozens of hours of playing i finally understood that "clan roles" are in fact "party roles"...

I was expecting far more from clan/vassality system, like you have to follow your liege into campaign if he ask you or special task he orders you. There is no real vassality system in Bannerlord everybody is vassal of the king when it would have been very fun trying to up your lord rank through vassality. Most of the time even if you were a great warrior the most important thing to up your rank in nobility was mariage or conquest or being the only heir of different powerfull families. Mariage in Bannerlord is a joke for now. Also the fact that you can play Bannerlord for several life times could let you try to use different mariages to up your rank in nobility: you start as a lower noble and your grandson is king.

Last edited:
They spawn with a small core army but the "problem" is that they can recruit from each village, even raided villages. Or villages you´ve recruited all troops 10 seconds before. 5 AI lords can go to the same raided village within 2 seconds and all of them can recruit the same amount of troops.

In my opinion they respawn way to fast and also escape to fast if you take them as a prisoner. So the only valid option to get rid of them is to chop off their head. But then of course everybody hates you :smile: .
Did you faced lagging in battanian towns and castles?
Also in few sieges and field battles my game lags and freezes for few seconds, specially in forest areas. I am not using any mods and my laptop specs are latest and high. Playing on 1.4.2

Back
Top Bottom