Complete lack of Immersion

Users who are viewing this thread

Still an intern should've been able to do 50+ companions with detailed backstories, dialogues, special events, secret quests in max a few years and that's working part-time. Lets not forget these people are supposed to be doing this for 7-8 hours every day.

This is really strange indeed. Considering the amount of time the game has been in development, aswell as the ease with which what you just wrote can be done, it is baffling that there isn't literally 50+ companions with handtailored backstories. Hell, I could probably write 50+ companions with detailed backstories in a couple of weeks, if I was working on it 7-8 hours a day.

I only dislike the invisible walls. I want to explore. I see ruins on a hill. I want to go there. also I want a stash chest in my small castle.

I honestly expected NPC's to have daily cycles like Oblivion/Skyrim and even some kind of interaction. That was the impression their early videos gave atleast, but might be me completely interpretting that wrong.

Now the player has no connection to his companions that he hasn't designed in his head. I can't understand how TW thought that that people would be more invested in these types of companions. Generic generic generic.

Now the player has no connection to his companions that he hasn't designed in his head. I can't understand how TW thought that that people would be more invested in these types of companions. Generic generic generic.

Agreed. Distinct personalities are a must. Totally random personality and culture dont make the game more sandbox-y, they just make for a less interesting sandbox experience. Imagine giving someone whose never played Chess a Chess set and when he asks what each piece is and how do they work you said "Oh, they can be called and move however you want.."

Agreed. Distinct personalities are a must. Totally random personality and culture dont make the game more sandbox-y, they just make for a less interesting sandbox experience. Imagine giving someone whose never played Chess a Chess set and when he asks what each piece is and how do they work you said "Oh, they can be called and move however you want.."
I would like to think that this generic companion system is yet another placeholder. Hopefully, we will see unique companion designs in the future, you know, in Warband style.

A little bit goes a long way when it comes to fleshing out companions/NPCs and giving them personality and life.

To this day, there's still memes being made about Warband's Jeremus.

Just some food for thought.

One of the most engaging bits of Warband (and good mods of it) that I miss is the feeling of 'raising' your band of companions. Planning your party, grooming some for eventually becoming lords, knights, sergeants, etc whilst building some to help you performing specific roles for your party that you chose for them based on talents and personalities and equipping them appropriately, also making their contribution essential to your success.

In bannerlord, so far, it appears to just go and grab your pre-made generic dudes with very specific skillset without creating any sense of them being really relevant to develop for your campaign. This plus the lack of relationship building with lords make it more of a battle sim than anything else (really fun battles). I can't remember companions or lords names at all which is a bit sad to me and subtracts a lot from my desire of starting a new campaign.

Hopefully, the development team will try to steer the game into a more immersive experience at some point (fingers crossed), as we are still in the 'early stages' of the early access. If not, I just hope the modding tools will provide enough liberty to transform the game!

P.s. Also the economy and constant war scenario force your hand on an almost constant battle state to success without allowing for focusing in much else

Last edited:
I just played some Bannerpage 2.0 mod, Bannerlord has better graphics than this mod does, but Bannerpage is way better. Bannerpage crushes this game in terms of ideas, immersion, and options. Remember, this mod is primary made by one guy, not a 80 man team. Bannerlord is just not the game I thought it would be, I just have to admit it at this point. Unless there's some great immersion fix and some knockout feature like custom troops I won't be playing this much in the future. Even just a feast at this point where you can interact with other lords would suffice. This game is barren, it's not a matter of it being in EA either in my opinion. I have 0 immersion in the history of Calradia or any lore in this game, the same brother and family each play through (linear RPG not sandbox), atrocious random % marriage which has nothing to do with your characters standing, grinding random smith parts, fighting looters/bandit parties selling the exact same things, and the generic companions and back stories. I just can't play it anymore.

I completely agree with you. Many Warband mods, including Prophesy of Pendor, Perisno, Bannerpage and Nova Aetas, offer much more engaging and interesting gameplay than Bannerlord. Even though Bannerlord has better graphics (with horrible optimization though), it presents very inadequate immersion in almost every aspect. Of course advocates of Taleworlds will deny this; they will play the "Early Access" card and yada yada yada. I guess they fail to see that the problem is beyond the issues associated with Early Access.

I suspect that some guy who really knows Excel, is pulling the lines at TW (if you pay, you speak!), pity that this guy doesn't have a clue about gaming or this specific game and is "suggesting" the Devs to implement what he thinks people want.

In this case it could have been like : "you can't propose the same stuff that was in your old game,that's unacceptable, we need INNOVATION! let's see what my surveys say...hmmmm ok, I got it, RNG, hack and slash and MP, go do it monkeys! And forget about all that useless stuff nobody wants, immersion, dialogues, you crazy?? That takes time and money, just give them shiny lights and MP..." .
If you see how much the game sold, that guy really knows his excel, but the quality paid the price....rings a bell??

So yeah, I am super critic about the state of the game, but I suspect the Devs are victims too....their fault in case, is that they accepted a deal with "the devil".

I don't know that it is true to suggest most players want the click and fight game, though as the dialogues are so boring, this is the only way to play it at this time. Based on this thread, it sure seems that most people feel very strongly about the need to improve the backstories, dialogues, and immersion. I feel the same way. I know (based on what they've told players) that at least to some degree, increasing the immersion is on their task list, but sadly, I am betting it is not a very high priority and will come much later toward the end of the EA period.

I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope that the end version comes with a lot more depth. While I'm sure there will be great mods, I think it is important that the native game is also entertaining and immersive. I certainly enjoyed Warband for countless hours, but even in that game I felt like the immersion lacked luster. They have an opportunity here to make something that is truly great. Personally I think it being like WB is a poor target to hit. They should set their sights much higher.

For all the problems bannerlord has this one is the most significant? I mean alright, its lacking some flavour. Yet the combat is better and funner then ever. Also since when did warband have an "immersive rp and dialogue"?

If this bannerlord's ads were 'warband with modern graphics and bigger battle sizes' I would have bought it only because I played warband for 600+ hours and I don't mind investing on that. Not to mention as soon as they release mod support what will it matter anyway?

For all the problems bannerlord has this one is the most significant? I mean alright, its lacking some flavour. Yet the combat is better and funner then ever. Also since when did warband have an "immersive rp and dialogue"?

If this bannerlord's ads were 'warband with modern graphics and bigger battle sizes' I would have bought it only because I played warband for 600+ hours and I don't mind investing on that. Not to mention as soon as they release mod support what will it matter anyway?

You must not play much Warband or any of its mods.

Is the TW forums always this toxic?

It is a game in early access and it can go a ton of ways over the years in its development cycle. What the hell is wrong with you guys? I keep reading these toxic childish posts everywhere. What is the point of these posts? Is this your crying corner? Do you have a constructive thing to say?
If not, well then you made a mistake in buying the game. Next time, be careful in buying a game and get a life.

I don't understand what you want. Do you want us to go and assasinate the devs? Do you want us all to cry together over your dissapointment?

Is the TW forums always this toxic?

It is a game in early access and it can go a ton of ways over the years in its development cycle. What the hell is wrong with you guys? I keep reading these toxic childish posts everywhere. What is the point of these posts? Is this your crying corner? Do you have a constructive thing to say?
If not, well then you made a mistake in buying the game. Next time, be careful in buying a game and get a life.

Is this really a constructive thing to say? Next time be careful on a game forum, people have opinions. :iamamoron:

Back
Top Bottom