Complete lack of Immersion

Users who are viewing this thread

Not a single character in this game responds to the player any differently throughout your accession to higher status. You can come in with a feed sack on with 50 dinars and tell the emperor's daughter you are gonna marry her without any negative repercussion. That is pathetic. This RPG (if you can call it that) has a huge problem with personality, that is so dull I don't even know what to say.

I am here for Marriage, Empress? I want to court your daughter......Mind the smell, it's just my feet.

latest

Last edited:
Bannerlord (And M&B in general) is VERY VERY weak as an RPG and always was. It's main strength was that it played partly as a strategy with ability to control your hero and immerse in the battle rather than watching small toons do the fight for you as in other strategies. And the horseback fighting is done better than in any other games. That's it. That's about it.

It has lore - but it is unexplored.
It has characters - but they all are same.
It has detailed scenes (beautifully done in Bannerlord) - but there's nothing to do in it.
It has castle interiors - but nothing ever happens inside.

your farmers, your garrison, your city dwellers - no one recognizes you. Cities fall and change owners but nothing ever changes in behavior of citizens. City can be starving but you won't see any resulting grim reality in city scenes. Markets will be as full of products as they are in prosperous cities.

The driving force and magic that keeps the game alive was Mod Coomunity. I remember after spending some time in first games, I was more frequently sitting on the old forums waiting for mods and participating with suggestions and feedback, rather than actually playing the game.

It willbe the same with Bannerlod. There will be mods that convert the game into something meaningful and we will enjoy playing it after it. Meanwhile, all we can do is wait.

I haven't played the game for a few weeks already. Was waiting for the upgrades but judging by the feedback they have added even more bugs than there was before... In my last playthrough I encountered the bug that prevents me to save the game... It was last straw.

Just waiting for the mod tools.

Your lords address you as your highness when you become king ?

I don't expect anything more than that until we get the mod tools, which is all I'm waiting on before diving back in.

Sometimes i wonder how people in TW feel when modders beat them in their own game. But yeah, waiting for mood tools and those big overhaul mods. Then it will be amazing. Now is just good.

I hope they will improve it, not to make it great but better than now. Otherwise I won't be able to understood why they have invested time and efforts to create all these beautiful and detailed scenarios if don't plan to use them in anyway. IMHO it does make sense only if you have plans to make things happen at them.

Sometimes i wonder how people in TW feel when modders beat them in their own game. But yeah, waiting for mood tools and those big overhaul mods. Then it will be amazing. Now is just good.
This has been explained many many times. Modding the game is not the same as developing the game. Mod makers have one very specific goal to achieve and do not need to worry about any repercussions it might have. Does it bloat the game files? Does it cause lag? Does it effect any other component of the game? Does it support future content? Does it work with up-coming changes? Do these changes need to be agreed before implementation with management?

All these and more are questions which never pass through a modders head.Yes they do good work but all they do is change 1-2 lines of code and call it a day. Thats not game development - that's slapping a bandaid on. I am glad modders do their work but people need to stop making the comparison.

I don't know what the purpose of this post is to be honest. It is not realistic to expect developers working various ways, because there would be no focus. Instead, what TW has promised us, is a detailed and sophisticated modding tool that would allow us to create mods better and faster. I am grateful for this because the possibilities will be endless. I look especially forward to a similar version of PK (Persistent Kingdoms), but then better :grin:

It's realistic to expect developers to make an immersive game, not a click and battle simulator. Did Viking Conquest lack focus? Some of you present the worst arguments imaginable, good grief.

What I really dislike about roleplaying in Bannerlord is the lack of impact of relation with other lords. In warband as I went along doing quests for Delinard I felt like my charachter was geniuene friends with him, we fought in battles together, went on campaigns and when I created my own kingdom he came to my aid. Same for enemies-there was always at least 1 lord that really disliked me, always raided my villiges etc.

However whenever I play Bannerlord I find it lacks that element. Whenever it is due to nobles not being the main quest givers anymore(pls make more quests for nobles, especially rescue prisoner)clans being more important than indivduals, or the fact that relation just doesn't seem to effect anything.

Last edited:
I totally agree with Qwezz i was expecting more interactions and more possibilites of interactions in relation with lords and Clans. Some kind of fief management and relation mangement to rise to power. Bannerlord for now is a desert...

What I really dislike about roleplaying in Bannerlord is the lack of impact of relation with other lords. In Warband as I went along doing quests for Delinard I felt like my character was genuine friends with him, we fought in battles together, went on campaigns and when I created my own kingdom he came to my aid. Same for enemies-there was always at least 1 lord that really disliked me, always raided my villages etc.

However whenever I play Bannerlord I find it lacks that element. Whenever it is due to nobles not being the main quest givers anymore(pls make more quests for nobles, especially rescue prisoner)clans being more important than individuals, or the fact that relation just doesn't seem to affect anything.

This is the exact problem I'm currently having with Bannerlord. In Warband, characters just felt a lot more alive and camaraderie was real. My greatest experience was fighting under Count Reland as we reduced the Swadians to a single castle and dominated half of Calradia. Lords such as Gharmall, Talbar, and Reichsin were chill dudes that I built relationships with through military campaigns, feasts, and quests. Tansugai was an ******* whom I always quarreled with and finally imprisoned in my castle dungeon. I remember freaking out when the Swadians took revenge and destroyed our once-prosperous Rhodok Empire because Graveth caught the habit of feasting all the time. It was such an amazing experience that little games have provided me.

It seems to me they are catering a different kind of gamers, who prefer click and battle, RNG and a generally speaking arcade-like game.

If you look at the money, TW is right in doing that, the backbone of the player base, people with thousands of hours in Warband, won't be happy off course, but how many are we? A minority nowadays...

I hope TW will drastically change direction or this Title, together with a clean sea, quality products and common sense, will become a thing of the past....

What I really dislike about roleplaying in Bannerlord is the lack of impact of relation with other lords. In warband as I went along doing quests for Delinard I felt like my charachter was geniuene friends with him, we fought in battles together, went on campaigns and when I created my own kingdom he came to my aid. Same for enemies-there was always at least 1 lord that really disliked me, always raided my villiges etc.

However whenever I play Bannerlord I find it lacks that element. Whenever it is due to nobles not being the main quest givers anymore(pls make more quests for nobles, especially rescue prisoner)clans being more important than indivduals, or the fact that relation just doesn't seem to effect anything.

I don't know anything about Warband, but i second your idea. However, i think TW has more important things to do. Fix the bugs, finish the perks, implement new functions (like marriage for your children), new quests and THEN they can take care of immersion stuff. Right now the game is still missing too much of its core elements. And i am an immersion addict!!!

This is the exact problem I'm currently having with Bannerlord. In Warband, characters just felt a lot more alive and camaraderie was real. My greatest experience was fighting under Count Reland as we reduced the Swadians to a single castle and dominated half of Calradia. Lords such as Gharmall, Talbar, and Reichsin were chill dudes that I built relationships with through military campaigns, feasts, and quests. Tansugai was an ******* whom I always quarreled with and finally imprisoned in my castle dungeon. I remember freaking out when the Swadians took revenge and destroyed our once-prosperous Rhodok Empire because Graveth caught the habit of feasting all the time. It was such an amazing experience that little games have provided me.

And the thing is - THIS wouldnt be that hard to implement! None of it requires more than a couple days worth of dialogue/branch texting calculation and it really does go a long way. I wonder if they just see this as really low on the base mechanics priority list or simply plan on forgetting it

And the thing is - THIS wouldnt be that hard to implement! None of it requires more than a couple days worth of dialogue/branch texting calculation and it really does go a long way. I wonder if they just see this as really low on the base mechanics priority list or simply plan on forgetting it
I think the point is functionally there are many more important things that need to be working first; in addition it seems they might be looking to add recordings on for some/all of the dialogue so this is probably also in the works.

I think the point is functionally there are many more important things that need to be working first; in addition it seems they might be looking to add recordings on for some/all of the dialogue so this is probably also in the works.

If they are adding audio files then fully retract my complaint - game sorely needs them

If they are adding audio files then fully retract my complaint - game sorely needs them
If you want a very weird example - the women who gives you the dragon banner quest to restore the empire has voice lines in game already. It takes you by surprise! But yes there was some game files leaked previously where they were outlining the kind of voices they wanted for each faction.

The best part; they were looking for posh sounding british voices to sound Imperial...

EBRp-jbUIAApr2g.jpg

Not a single character in this game responds to the player any differently throughout your accession to higher status. You can come in with a feed sack on with 50 dinars and tell the emperor's daughter you are gonna marry her without any negative repercussion. That is pathetic. This RPG (if you can call it that) has a huge problem with personality, that is so dull I don't even know what to say.

I am here for Marriage, Empress? I want to court your daughter......Mind the smell, it's just my feet.

latest
I had thought about this too. When the player talks to merchants and traders they call the player 'lord' and they are awfully polite. In other RPGs the player is treated like crap, in Morrowind the player is really treated like crap until you earn better treatment. I'm sure if this would work in Bannerlord or if it fits but it is strange how nice people are to the player. Relations points still don't seem to matter in Bannerlord. If you burn down a village how do the peasants talk to the player? Or if you just did something good how do the peasants talk to the player? Not only this but the NPCs should have facial expressions that show how they fell about the player based upon player relation points based upon whatever actions he/she has done.

This has been explained many many times. Modding the game is not the same as developing the game. Mod makers have one very specific goal to achieve and do not need to worry about any repercussions it might have. Does it bloat the game files? Does it cause lag? Does it effect any other component of the game? Does it support future content? Does it work with up-coming changes? Do these changes need to be agreed before implementation with management?

All these and more are questions which never pass through a modders head.Yes they do good work but all they do is change 1-2 lines of code and call it a day. Thats not game development - that's slapping a bandaid on. I am glad modders do their work but people need to stop making the comparison.
All those questions pass through a GOOD modders mind. I've spent over 1000 hours on a project before...... "changing a few lines of code" you say.... lol, please. The primary difference is developers create the product from scratch and modders can add content using the tools provided to them by the developer. Going further would require decompiling the master code, which is illegal.

Back
Top Bottom