Complete lack of Immersion

stevehoos

Grandmaster Knight
Best answers
It has been quite a while since its publication ( Dev Blog 18/01/18 ) however it is interesting to reread some devblog from time to time. Steve Negus's Q&A devblog is, of course, interesting. :iamamoron:

What has this guy been doing exactly for the last 8 years? There's a week's worth of generic dialog in this game. I am not sure what is going on here, there's some massive disconnect somewhere.

Terco_Viejo

Spanish Gifquisition
Sergeant Knight at Arms
Best answers
What has this guy been doing exactly for the last 8 years? There's a week's worth of generic dialog in this game. I am not sure what is going on here, there's some massive disconnect somewhere.
These are the facts and only yours the conclusions :iamamoron:

MostBlunted

Sergeant at Arms
Best answers
A decent writer shouldn´t need more like 2-3 hours for one those companion stories which are already in the game. I mean, it´s not like that have they some epic stuff to tell you. It´s also not very long. I don´t understand this too. But I don´t really care about all those random companions either so :grin:

Rungsted93

Sergeant
WBWF&SVC
Best answers
And even just doing seperate dialogues depending on the player's relation, renown and title is apparently too difficult to do.

Ettenrocal

Baron
Best answers
Yeah i totally agree seperate dialogues depending relations should not be that difficult just need a Trello board and diagrams to organize the thing, coding wise it's really simple.

Revverie

Knight
Best answers
It has been quite a while since its publication ( Dev Blog 18/01/18 ) however it is interesting to reread some devblog from time to time. Steve Negus's Q&A devblog is, of course, interesting. :iamamoron:
Wow that is a nice read
Also, more lords have backstories and those backstories matter more in how the game unfolds
I think he meant the lords who instantly give their backstory to a complete stranger worth 1 paragraph of reading and never touch the subject ever again, yeah that is definetly exciting and immersive.

I miss Warband

stevehoos

Grandmaster Knight
Best answers
Wow that is a nice read

I think he meant the lords who instantly give their backstory to a complete stranger worth 1 paragraph of reading and never touch the subject ever again, yeah that is definetly exciting and immersive.

I miss Warband
I have to laugh at this too. If there's one thing about this game that is lacking it is immersion. What game is he is talking about? There's not one dynamic element to companion interactions. There's nothing in the game remotely resembling this. Here's your answer in this third sentence as to why nothing has been done.

"Also, more lords have backstories and those backstories matter more in how the game unfolds."

"To that end, we've taken out some of the pre-scripted companion interactions in favor of a more dynamic system."

“I'm working from California, not Turkey, so my day is less structured than much of the rest of the team. I consult with Armagan twice a week and then write dialogs, code or development documents as the need arises.”

Last edited:

Revverie

Knight
Best answers
The companion system is probably the worst idea they had, there was nothing wrong with having the old same companions because it felt like people that belong in a world, these guys are all uninteresting and have no comments, have nothing to say, it enrages me so much all the poor ideas they have to "improve" the game, all they had to do is to improve in the old system, make characters have even more stories instead of deleting every single one. Everyday I grow more dissapointed with this game, 1 year ago I was geniunly excited, damn dude I hope they pull the NMS technique out of this game and make it good and fun, and if they dont well **** it, I'll try modding myself

MostBlunted

Sergeant at Arms
Best answers
The companion system is probably the worst idea they had, there was nothing wrong with having the old same companions because it felt like people that belong in a world, these guys are all uninteresting and have no comments, have nothing to say,
I agree, give me like 20 "good" companions with a real background story and a personality instead of 100+ boring, random companions.

And for god´s sake, please fix "XYZ the surgeon" has 1 int as a stat....

stevehoos

Grandmaster Knight
Best answers
I agree, give me like 20 "good" companions with a real background story and a personality instead of 100+ boring, random companions.

And for god´s sake, please fix "XYZ the surgeon" has 1 int as a stat....
Yep, their idea of having a more dynamic system is not immersive at all. I don't have any connection to any of the companions back stories, I don't read them they are all generic. 20 good companions and you know who they are each time you play and can base your character off of them. I don't like to sound like I am bashing TW all the time but man..... what were they thinking with this?

Revverie

Knight
Best answers
At this point I am, I still have to see TW response to this issue that has been goint on for the entire week if not the entire month, will they never adress this with the seriousness it requires? How many threads exposing this issue do we have to make in order to make them understand. This is pure frustration my dudes, I now know how the MP fellas felt
And before anyone jumps in my throat saying there are more urgent things to take care of, I do not care if an immersion patch gets released in a week or a year, I just want them to accept this problem exist

Ettenrocal

Baron
Best answers
I was pretty surprised when i understood companions are auto generated at each new game, for this system to work and be immersive i think you have to put some kind of AI for the companions to be realistic/dynamic (which is pretty complicated i think), a good alternative would to be create "template personalities" with backstories that are implemented into those generated companions: they would be the same character "in the inside" but would have different face and name at each new game: that's a little what they've done with the skills "the black, the wronged,the smith, the hunter etc..." They need to do this with human personalities traits that make the companions/npc react differently according to those traits in dialogues.

NPC99

Baron
M&BWBWF&SVC
Best answers
If an amateur in their spare time has been able to write stories for 44 companions in a couple of months, can't imagine how many "generic" stories after >8 years of professional development will be part of a pool to choose from. :iamamoron:
Don’t panic and keep searching every tavern. You’ll eventually find your perfect companion, she just hasn’t been auto-generated yet. TW’s random companion generator is guaranteed to rival Shakespeare quicker than an infinite number of monkeys and typewriters. You just have to have faith and patience. :smile:

Terco_Viejo

Spanish Gifquisition
Sergeant Knight at Arms
Best answers
Don’t panic and keep searching every tavern. You’ll eventually find your perfect companion, she just hasn’t been auto-generated yet. TW’s random companion generator is guaranteed to rival Shakespeare quicker than an infinite number of monkeys and typewriters. You just have to have faith and patience. :smile:

Sure :lol:

froggyluv

Master Knight
NW
Best answers
I have to laugh at this too. If there's one thing about this game that is lacking it is immersion. What game is he is talking about? There's not one dynamic element to companion interactions. There's nothing in the game remotely resembling this. Here's your answer in this third sentence as to why nothing has been done.

"Also, more lords have backstories and those backstories matter more in how the game unfolds."

"To that end, we've taken out some of the pre-scripted companion interactions in favor of a more dynamic system."

“I'm working from California, not Turkey, so my day is less structured than much of the rest of the team. I consult with Armagan twice a week and then write dialogs, code or development documents as the need arises.”
Oh Jesus...TW you've got to be kidding me. Please reconsider this position and give distinct personalities to both Lords and NPC's. Too much loose structure yields shallowness and general disinterest.

sniparsexe

Sergeant
Best answers
I don't know how you add dialogues to game and that kind of stuff. I'm a TTRPG player, you know Dungeons & Dragons etc. therefore I'm good at creating NPCs, I can assure you It wouldn't take me more than 5 days to create every companion in this game with their backstories, personalities, skills. They aren't even detailed. I think I don't need to say I'm talking for what we saw so far. If there is 200 companions with 2 page backstories and branching dialogues waiting to be added, I'll say okay.

stevehoos

Grandmaster Knight
Best answers
I don't know how you add dialogues to game and that kind of stuff. I'm a TTRPG player, you know Dungeons & Dragons etc. therefore I'm good at creating NPCs, I can assure you It wouldn't take me more than 5 days to create every companion in this game with their backstories, personalities, skills. They aren't even detailed. I think I don't need to say I'm talking for what we saw so far. If there is 200 companions with 2 page backstories and branching dialogues waiting to be added, I'll say okay.
Yep, and 8 years to do this? The guy who was hired for this must not be working for TW anymore.