complaint to whoever's responsible for the bans in-game

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be completely honest, hohol, according to wikipedia is a 2 sided word. Both for slur and for duck. I never read the code of conduct, never claimed to know it. However as no one prior to my reply made any comments or pointed out it out to prove Arni wrong I assumed it isn't included.

However I do think to force a player to change their name on every game : (as steam name affects every multiplayer game where you don't create a nickname for yourself) is still an abuse of power. Especially so if the ban will be prolonged if they don't change it. Therefore I still think it is not okay for the game to force change their players name when it is not exactly, undeniably a racist slur.

Perhaps there should be in-game nicknames solely for the purpose of this little dispute. But that's also stupid, to write pages of codes to settle one dispute.
Oh yes I'm sure the person known for DDoSing servers and using racist remarks plenty of times on other platforms meant to say they're anti ducks and not anti ethnic slur.
Keep making a fool of yourself. The fact that you think "oh its not in the CoC" is a valid argument to justify bad behaviour is really quite sad.

The fact that you think "oh its not in the CoC" is a valid argument to justify bad behaviour is really quite sad.

That's pretty much how the rules work, if something is not written in the rules, you are allowed to do it as long as it's not written in the rules. it's quite simple innit?

as for everyone else with their assumptions: keep them to urselves.

That's pretty much how the rules work, if something is not written in the rules, you are allowed to do it as long as it's not written in the rules. it's quite simple innit?

It doesn't say the rules are exclusive to the ingame chat either.

Communications Abuse
Respect fellow players
. Treat people how you want to be treated. There’s no excuse for in-game harassment, offensive language, hate speech, threats or bullying in any shape or form. The TaleWorlds community accepts and welcomes everyone, no matter their colour, ethnicity, nationality, religion, gender identity or sexual orientation.

i would like bans to be a public polls rather then a few people being in charge of the ban,
No. You're essentially proposing that not the host of the party is the one to decide who has to go, but rather the entire party, including those people that were not invited and are just there to trash it.
Vote kicks are easily abused, vote bans on public servers would be absolutely ridiculous.

Regarding this particular case, it's a plain old case "If you can't do the time, don't do the crime".
Arguing against a 24h ban for some trolling and, to my understanding, use of an offensive term is generous and not submitting to the consequences of your actions indicates a character flaw. which you further exemplify when you choose to go around and attempt to troll.

On a more general note:
If you want "a good laugh" or "the thrill of doing something against the rules", don't be surpised when you're held accountable for that behaviour and own up to it.

TW chose to use steam names instead of custom in-game names. If you want to administrate names then you should've let people use custom names and not steam names.

Also, how does this work for EGS and wherever you sell this game? You can only change your name once every 2 weeks on EGS and earlier you couldn't change it at all.

Taleworlds made a choice and they should live with it or change the system, not half-arsed "we want to use steam names but they cant be bad!!! WHEEEE" as that is just retarded. You chose something outside of your platform so deal with it.

It doesn't say the rules are exclusive to the ingame chat either.

Would be nice if we would have some clarification from the member of TW staf which is the reason I created this thread, you quoting rules doesn't automatically makes it correct. I mean, I would go and play any multiplayer game on my Steam library and I wouldn't get banned for nicknames here. on top of that, let's say that I used it as racist slur, there's a player with similar nickname that isn't banned and still playing the game on daily basis to my knowledge, at least, which makes the ban rather weird.

R9VDHx3.jpg

TW chose to use steam names instead of custom in-game names. If you want to administrate names then you should've let people use custom names and not steam names.

Also, how does this work for EGS and wherever you sell this game? You can only change your name once every 2 weeks on EGS and earlier you couldn't change it at all.

Taleworlds made a choice and they should live with it or change the system, not half-arsed "we want to use steam names but they cant be bad!!! WHEEEE" as that is just retarded. You chose something outside of your platform so deal with it.
Code of Conduct states no hate speech in any shape or form. Your point is invalid.

Inappropriate language
Code of Conduct states no hate speech in any shape or form. Your point is invalid.
What? I'm not talking about the CoC, <snip>

My point is that they don't administrate steam names, as they don't own steam. They chose to use steam names so they should live with it, or change it and let people use custom names as then you can actually have a say in it.

Last edited by a moderator:

My point is that they don't administrate steam names, as they don't own steam. They chose to use steam names so they should live with it, or change it and let people use custom names as then you can actually have a say in it.
I mean yeah, custom names would be great, but the absence of them doesn't let you just ignore the CoC. You can say "I'm not talking about it" all you want, it still applies.

You can either have this conversation in a civil manner, or you do not have it at all.
If you feel it is necessary to hand out insults and be genereally disrespectful to other users, you're arguments are automatically invalid.

Custom names would be nice though
Agreed. I do miss the old character profiles from Warband, but soon:tm: there will be something possible in the armory.

I'd disagree on that statement, but I can see where it's coming from. It'd certainly be easier, but ultimately it's not important if person A turns a blind eye to some less than charming decisions and it's perfectly fine for person B to be bothered by it and do something about it.
Your point would extend to developers not being able to ban anyone in the first place, because people use a third party platform to play that game and thus if they wanted to ban anyone, they should do it on their own platform.
Which is obviously not how this works or should work, atleast I've never heard of a gamer being super thrilled about yet another publisher launching their own, separate and super exclusive distribution platform.

Last edited:
I'd disagree on that statement, but I can see where it's coming from. It'd certainly be easier, but ultimately it's not important if person A turns a blind eye to some less than charming decisions and it's perfectly fine for person B to be bothered by it and do something about it.
Your point would extend to developers not being able to ban anyone in the first place, because people use a third party platform to play that game and thus if they wanted to ban anyone, they should do it on their own platform.
Which is obviously not how this works or should work, atleast I've never heard of a gamer being super thrilled about yet another publisher launching their own, separate and super exclusive distribution platform.
I find your reasoning rather special. My point is that TW cannot ban you for an action taken on Steams platform, of course, they can ban you for behaviour on their own platform. Please don't extend my points <snip> thank you.

They take a public name and take offense at it, if they have other rules than Steam has they shouldn't use Steam names. That's it.

Last edited by a moderator:
it seems quite easy to just not choose an offensive name in the first place
My point is that TW cannot ban you for an action taken on Steams platform, of course, they can ban you for behaviour on their own platform.
by using such a name playing the game, the behaviour is on their platform.
they can't force you to change your steam name. they can stop you from playing their game if they take issue with your steam name. these are not the same.

Yeah! and they shouldn't be allowed to ban cheaters because they're using BattlEye (Which they don't own) to detect them in the first place!
and yeah! They shouldn't be able to mute people because they don't own the keyboards they're using to type offensive stuff with!

I know it's not enforced but It's also against steam rules to have an offensive name to begin with, if you go to any steam profile and click the report button, the second option is to report them for an offensive name. So even if your logic made any sense (which it doesn't), theoretically they're abiding by Steam's code of conduct.

The length people go through to debate such a simple issue is astounding. If you want to play the video game, follow its rules. It's just an internet name. It costs absolutely nothing to change it. Just pick a name and you can play again. Problem solved.

They cant mute us! We bought these keyboards, TALEWORLD DIDNT MAKE THE KEYBOARDS THEY CANT TELL US WHAT TO WRITE!
Their game, their rules. People seriously have to stop using freedom of speach as an excuse, clearly they dont know what it is.

My point is that TW cannot ban you for an action taken on Steams platform, of course, they can ban you for behaviour on their own platform.
They take a public name and take offense at it, if they have other rules than Steam has they shouldn't use Steam names. That's it.
Yes, I already stated that I understand that line of argument. It's also perfectly reasonable to take action against such names within the confines of your game, regardless of which platform is used to access it, since it is entirely up to the owners of the server what kind of behaviour and rules they allow on those specific servers.
If TW were to ban someone with an offensive user name on their servers that is perfectly fine and their right to do so. If they were to contact Steam and request a ban of that user from the entire platform for something that occured on their servers, Steam is within their rights to turn that down, ignore it and even allow it, since their servers are their own property.
Furthermore, extending the line of thought of others to make a point is perfectly fine rhetoric and there is no need to be offended by it. If you cannot argue your point in a civil manner and are dismissive of everything contrary to your own limited perspective, then I suggest you reevaluate the necessity and intent of partaking in this conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom