Compilation of 82 little tweaks to the text files to change your gameplay(links)

Users who are viewing this thread

Could be fun to add a bigger piece of code into the 2nd/3rd defense stages so as to make the amount of defenders random. Like 2-5 per spawn point vs your 5 guys. :grin:
Too bad these mini-games are mostly cramped in really small rooms and it could be  a bugger.

As for having a country of your own without a claimant - was me who tested it out, with the "hack" thing that makes the game think you are serving a pretender. You get the dialogues which you would normally get if you were helping the pretender before he actually becomes a king - which is giving out fiefs and castles. A bit buggy(as you can screw up all your relations with all the lords you recruited), but its working.
And lords sometimes lose their brain if you ever order them around(tell him he's free to do whatever he wants - and he just stands there too happy to move) and I dont think you even get a marshal, ever.

This thread is one of the best on the entire forum. Thanks again for doing this, TheMageLord.

I have a question:

Is it possible to tweak the journal/encyclopedia so that Lords and locations show your exact relation with them rather than the general comments that show up?

hey TML i asked this earlier in the thread but it may have been missed,

is there a way to change how aggressive parties on the world map are, so that they will attack at somethign else than HIGH odds?

for example, 30 pirates right now wont attack my party of 15 huscarls and myself and some heroes, yet there is a chance they can win, but instead they run. what would be nice was if the enemy attacked sometimes when it was at less than good odds, like taking a chance.

another example is when an enemy will never attack a castle unless there is less than say 50 men or so. .

what i am looking for is something that will make the enemy more aggressive, or more likely to attack regardless of odds.

if this helps at all, i am pretty sure this is somewhat related to renown, its seems that the more renown i have the more parties run from me even if they would not have when i had less.

Hinotori,
It's quite easy, actually. Just open up quick_strings.txt and find
qstr_{reg6?:{reg4?{s54}_i {reg6?:{reg4?{s54}_is_the_ruler_of_{s56}.^:{s54}_is_a_vassal_of_{s55}_of_{s56}.^}}Renown:_{reg5}.^{reg9?{reg3?She:He}_is_the_{reg3?lady:lord}_of_{s58}.:{reg3?She:He}_has_no_fiefs.}{s59}
This is where it gets the text for the lord's pages. The relation is already stored by the script (in order to get the line of text that it displays), we just need to add a direct reference to it. It's stored as register 0, so to display the number all you'd have to do is add {reg0}. But let's make it a bit more fancy. Change it to this:
qstr_{reg6?:{reg4?{s54}_i {reg6?:{reg4?{s54}_is_the_ruler_of_{s56}.^:{s54}_is_a_vassal_of_{s55}_of_{s56}.^}}Renown:_{reg5}.^{reg9?{reg3?She:He}_is_the_{reg3?lady:lord}_of_{s58}.:{reg3?She:He}_has_no_fiefs.}{s59}^Relation:_{reg0}.
What I added is in blue. What this does is the ^ makes it start on a new a line, then it says "Relation: #." You could also delete the {s59} if you wanted - that's the bit that gives the general feeling text (like "They are fond of you" or whatever).

Note that this IS savegame compatible, but it won't show up until the notes on that particular troop get updated. This isn't done unless something changes, like if they lose or gain land or something. Changing relation updates it too.

Olorin,
I think I answered that before, but I may have forgot to. The reason they won't attack is it calculates things based on troop strength, not just numbers. Your huscarls are crazy high level, so they're showing up as significantly stronger than the lower tier troops. It makes sense, too - your 15 huscarls alone would wipe the floor with the other guys, even without the help of you and the heroes. Lords will attack castles much more often if they have high tier troops, because those high tier troops count for a lot more in the calculations. You could probably screw with the strength calculating script to make levels not matter as much, but that would likely make the AI do really stupid things - like a party of elite troops run from a party of peasants, or a big party of crap troops jump on a slightly smaller party of elite troops and get their asses kicked. Renown actually doesn't play any part in it - just usually when you have high renown you have top tier troops, thus everyone runs from you. If you trade out your 15 huscarls for 15 peasants, people will attack you.

Is it at all possible to tone down the surgery, wound treatment, and first aid skill, but give it the same properties as trainer so that all that have it will apply to the party? If it's doable with significant scripting that is.

I believe that's all hardcoded. Skills.txt deals with skills, and it has a toggle for them to be party or personal, but that just makes them display as party or personal. The actual skill function is still the same. I couldn't find any scripts or triggers referencing the skills either.

TheMageLord said:
What I added is in blue. What this does is the ^ makes it start on a new a line, then it says "Relation: #." You could also delete the {s59} if you wanted - that's the bit that gives the general feeling text (like "They are fond of you" or whatever).

Thanks a lot! I think I'm slowly grasping how this works, but I just don't want to mess up anything. :smile:

I've gotten plenty of crashes testing tweaks - usually because I forgot to do something or made a typo. You have to either look through the change and figure out what you did wrong, or just hit undo (a text editor with unlimited undo really shines here) and change it again until it works :smile:

Most of the tweaks I posted on here I don't even use - so after I finish testing with it I just hold down ctrl z (undo) until it's back to the default setting.

Hello. :smile:
Can anyone tell me how to interpret these numbers? Are these numbers predefined? I'm planning on creating some tweaks to make the game more realistic, like making the max number of prisoners relative not only to the prisoner management skill but also to the current size of your army.

Well, I don't know if what I'm going to ask is tweakable without module system but I feel like trying.

I know I can make beer and wine work as food and that those drinks are very nutritious, yet it just feels weird to me having them being consumed like that.

1. a) Buying drinks in the tavern for your own party(like when you buy it for the city, not when you buy it in shop), the price being proportional to party size. It would raise Recent Events morale to full.
    b) In Camp Menu/Take an Action, an option to drink beer or wine you have in your inventory, to work like above. It would be consumed 1 unit of beverage for each party member or whatever quantity might be easier to make this tweak.

2. Being able to sell prisoners to Manhunters for half the price.

3. A chance of recruiting some Deserter's Party member, based on your Persuasion skill.

4. Trade with caravans, without any bonus Trade skill might provide.

5. A way to talk with Villager Elder, Guildmaster, Arena master, Tavernkeeper, people inside tavern, training grounds dude, lords inside cities and etc, by the Menu. Just like when you go to a castle and ask the guard to talk outside with a Lord.

I'm aware this is too much and might not be made. I would really appreciate if somebody could say if those tweaks above can be made without module system, so I can compare some lines and try changing **** for fun.

TheMageLord said:
Olorin,
I think I answered that before, but I may have forgot to. The reason they won't attack is it calculates things based on troop strength, not just numbers. Your huscarls are crazy high level, so they're showing up as significantly stronger than the lower tier troops. It makes sense, too - your 15 huscarls alone would wipe the floor with the other guys, even without the help of you and the heroes. Lords will attack castles much more often if they have high tier troops, because those high tier troops count for a lot more in the calculations. You could probably screw with the strength calculating script to make levels not matter as much, but that would likely make the AI do really stupid things - like a party of elite troops run from a party of peasants, or a big party of crap troops jump on a slightly smaller party of elite troops and get their asses kicked. Renown actually doesn't play any part in it - just usually when you have high renown you have top tier troops, thus everyone runs from you. If you trade out your 15 huscarls for 15 peasants, people will attack you.

sorry if you answered it before, i must have missed the post.

thanks for the explanation i really appreciate it! :smile:

leusoj,
I don't think you're really supposed to interpret the numbers. I'm using the .960 (beta version) module system to interpret them, but normally you would just make changes within the current module system (it is WAY easier to read and make sense of, with lots of useful comments) and then compile the module system into the text files. The only reason I'm doing it like I am is because the 1.003 module system has not yet been released for some reason, so most modding efforts are just put on hold until it is.

It's probably best to just wait until it is released (hopefully soon...) before you do any modding, as learning to interpret the numbers - although interesting - is not a very useful skill once the module system is out :smile:

Zundum,

#1 would be possible by adding to conversations.txt (for the tavern keeper side) or to the camp menu in menus.txt. You'd just have to call up the change_player_party_morale script with the number to add, and put in something to erase either money or units from the ale/wine from your inventory. The tavern keeper one would be the easiest, all you'd have to do is copy the buy drinks dialogs and change them a bit - it already has the part taking the money from you so you'd just have to add the script call. To figure out the number to reference the morale script you could go into the check_friendly_kills script and pull it from there, that's where it cuts your morale down due to losses in battle. The other would be a bit more complex, as it'd have to cycle through your inventory to see if you had wine/ale as a condition of the menu, then cycle through and consume some of it with a further check to determine your party size and such.

#2 you could do by changing the manhunter dialogs. You'd just have to make a dialog that opened the prisoner trade window, the same way Ramun or the ransom brokers do. If you wanted the prices to be half then you would have to go and make a special exception in the prisoner prices script to check if they are a manhunter and reduce it. I'm not sure how selling prisoners on the worldmap works, though - I've never tried it. It all seems unnecessary though, since manhunters are harder to find than slave traders most of the time. Plus I already have a tweak to make tavern keepers buy prisoners, if you really wanted to sell them easier.

#3 Do you mean like recruit them instead of kill them? I guess you could probably do that with more dialog. It seems kinda pointless, though - just knock them unconscious and recruit them from your prisoners.

#4 You'd have to somehow determine what the caravans have for trade. The goods they drop when you kill them is just random, and all the trading they do is just virtual - they pop up and travel but don't actually buy or sell goods to the shops, it's just done behind the scenes with functions changing prices and generating revenue and such. This would probably be a mod in itself, and not something to easily do without the module system.

#5 You could probably adapt the castle menu option for use with all this. You'd just have to expand it somehow and change the troop references it calls up. You'd have to use a function to get the appropriate npc slot for that town.

I may play around with #1 and #5 in the future, but for the next few weeks I'll likely be very busy - I have a 20 page research paper to write and two exams to complete (take home exams that they gave me yesterday and today, really nasty ones haha). Someone else who has been making tweaks might do it, though :smile:

ivan-the-viking,
It has been asked several times before, but I wouldn't know how to do it. My programming experience is next to nil, I don't even know python - I just wing it :smile: One of these days I'll take the time to learn how to make programs.

Olorin,
Sure, glad you're satisfied with the answer :razz:. I actually don't see the exact spot that determines whether or not a lord attacks a party, but that might be hidden somewhere in the area determining if they attack castles. It's hard to make heads or tails of some of the AI script stuff. A while back I was trying to figure out a way to make them not chase parties when they were following you as the marshall (to prevent the annoying thing where they run off while you're prepping for a siege), but I couldn't find the right spot to edit.

TheMageLord said:
I believe that's all hardcoded. Skills.txt deals with skills, and it has a toggle for them to be party or personal, but that just makes them display as party or personal. The actual skill function is still the same. I couldn't find any scripts or triggers referencing the skills either.

You mean that changing this:
Code:
skl_prisoner_management Prisoner_Management 3 10 5 Every_level_of_this_skill_increases_maximum_number_of_prisoners_by_%d._(Leader_Skill)
skl_first_aid First_Aid 18 10 5 Heroes_regain_7%%_per_skill_level_of_hit-points_lost_during_mission._(Party_skill)
skl_surgery Surgery 2 10 5 Each_point_to_this_skill_gives_a_5%%_chance_that_a_mortally_struck_party_member_will_be_wounded_rather_than_killed._(Party_skill)
skl_wound_treatment Wound_Treatment 18 10 5 Party_healing_speed_is_increased_by_30%%_per_level_of_this_skill._(Party_skill)

would only make the text change?

Swadius,
You can change a couple things in the skills file that take effect in game, but not the way the actual skills behave.
skl_prisoner_management Prisoner_Management 3 10 Every_level_of_this_skill_increases_maximum_number_of_prisoners_by_%d._(Leader_skill)
The 3 is where flags for the skill are set. In this case the 3 is the base attribute (charisma is 3, int is 2, dex is 1, str is 0). It can also have a flag to determine if it's displayed in the party skills list or not. If this is the case, that number will be +16. Like the wound treatment skill has an 18 there (2 for int, +16 for party skill). Then the 10 is the maximum for the skill. All skills are set at 10 max by default, but you could change them to 5 or 20 or whatever - you'd still need 3x that in the base attribute to raise it that high, though. The rest of the text is the description you get when you mouse over it ingame. It has no actual effect on the way the skill works, only the description you get.

Whether or not a skill is displayed in the party skills list doesn't affect the way the skill works in the slightest - even if you make leadership a party skill and get companions with 10 leadership, you can still only lead the same number of troops. It's the same way with inventory management. It would show the skill in the party screen as if it was doing something, but nothing would happen.

Most of the skills are hardcoded in function, but some can be edited in the scripts. Leadership COULD be made into a party skill, since the factor determining your party size is a script - you could change it to search through your party and get the highest skill, just like it does with engineering. Inventory management, on the other hand, is hardcoded (or at least I couldn't find any script that set your inventory size based on it). So even if you made it display in the party skills list, it still wouldn't increase your inventory size - the engine is specifically checking YOUR inventory management skill.

TML, after I applied the tavernkeeper slavetrader tweak lots of weird mercenaries have been showing up in taverns, such as "Weaponsmith", "armorer". I can hire these, but I haven't tried as I am afraid it would crash the game. There's usually 2 tavernkeepers aswell, one behind the bar and one on the floor. Is it possible to remove these fake mercenaries?

I just noticed, but I also asked if the relation the player has with locations could also be shown in the encyclopedia. I'd assume it'd be something similar.

I'm guessing you'd add the text at the end of the following line:

Code:
qstr_{s2}Its_prosperity_i {s2}Its_prosperity_is:_{s50}

but I'm not sure which variable to use in the relation line.

First off the obligatory thanks for all these tweaks, make the game more fun. :smile:

I've been searching around and can't seem to find the tweak I'm after, hopefully someone here can help. I've used the listed tweak to increase the bandits spawns from once every 36 hours to once every 24, however this still isn't providing enough neutral weaker NPCs for me to prey on. Theres a lot of Mountain Bandits and sea raiders but still struggle to find any looters.

So my question is, is there a way to increase the frequency of specifically Looters and Forest Bandits spawning? Theres enough Sea Raiders and Mountain Bandits.

Rocksaw said:
First off the obligatory thanks for all these tweaks, make the game more fun. :smile:

I've been searching around and can't seem to find the tweak I'm after, hopefully someone here can help. I've used the listed tweak to increase the bandits spawns from once every 36 hours to once every 24, however this still isn't providing enough neutral weaker NPCs for me to prey on. Theres a lot of Mountain Bandits and sea raiders but still struggle to find any looters.

So my question is, is there a way to increase the frequency of specifically Looters and Forest Bandits spawning? Theres enough Sea Raiders and Mountain Bandits.

Looters can be hard to find, but you wont have much use of killing them later on. However, if you're a beginner at early lvls and sea raiders/mountain bandits are a bit too hard, then you should run from Dhirim>Reyvadin>Rivacheg>Khudan>Curaw and back, there's always looters in that area, especially around reyvadin and Yruma Castle. For forest bandits, they only spawn at a certain area, which is the mountain pass between Elberl and Praven, it's just north of praven if you can't find it. LOTS of forest bandits there.

Back
Top Bottom