Compilation of 82 little tweaks to the text files to change your gameplay(links)

Users who are viewing this thread

Small question:

Is the allowed garrison/prisoner troop limit one of the #s located in the party txt. file or is it hardcoded?

My intent is to increase the number of prisoners I can imprison in a single castle, but if it isn't save game compatible or might cause a "game break" I can do without.

Thx again. 

CBCRonin said:
Small question:

Is the allowed garrison/prisoner troop limit one of the #s located in the party txt. file or is it hardcoded?

My intent is to increase the number of prisoners I can imprison in a single castle, but if it isn't save game compatible or might cause a "game break" I can do without.

Thx again. 

I believe most of the numbers in parties.txt are location information, and setting things like the ai behavior (on towns and castles it's hold, to keep the towns from running off!) and icon. I don't think prisoner or troop limits would be in there. I looked around a bit in scripts.txt and don't see anywhere setting a limit on troops or prisoners though - what is the limit? I know I've stationed around 500 troops in places without any kind of artificial limit stopping me.

Nebless said:
Lord Kinlar said:
Neither of the 1.x versions will update the troop info from troops.txt once you start a new game.

Meaning you can't garrison hero's if you have a 1.x version even if you load the data and start a new game? 

No, you can, though only if you start a new game.

What I mean is, in pre-1.x versions, such as 0.960, you can modify troops.txt anytime you want and the changes you've made will take effect right away after you load your saved game.

However, in 1.x, you can modify troops.txt only once, before you start a new game. After that, the game will ignore the changes in that file. Probably because in 1.x, it saves the whole troop data in the saved game file along with other stuff. And you'd probably have to modify the saved game file using an HEX editor or something if you want to modify the troops in a game in progress, as TML's stated above.

TheMageLord said:
It's actually been this way as far back as I can remember - when you start a new game it saves the entire troops file in your savegame, so any changes made to the troops file after that won't take effect until you start another new game.

In 0.960, you can modify troop.txt anytime you want and the changes take effect immediately and I'm pretty sure about this. :wink:

Instag0 said:
I've mentioned this a few times to people and on the forums, but I still think it deserves saying. Someone should really make a program that lets you tweak these things through a nice, easy to use GUI.

I think the game should store all the game data in XML files. XML would be easier to read, thus easier to modify and you wouldn't even need a program to tweak the game data.

Python supports XML, so it shouldn't be too difficult to change the module system to write the output in XML files instead of obscure numbers in text files. And the game itself can be modified to read the data from XML documents without much effort.

TheMageLord said:
I looked into reinforcements, and it's set to give 2 waves on a normal battle and 7 on a siege.

This can be changed by opening up mission_templates.txt and finding:
2147483678 2 144115188075856126 #
(search for it without the #, I just put that there to explain). That's a check to see if defender reinforcements is below the #. Every reinforcement wave adds 1 to the number, so it sends # reinforcement waves. There should be 4 instances of it: Lead charge, village raid, castle with belfry, and castle with ladder. On lead charge and village raid it's set to 2, while on the castles it's set to 7. Changing those numbers will increase or decrease the number of reinforcement waves available to the defender.

The attacker reinforcements are under
2147483678 2 144115188075856127 #
You'll find 4 instances of this too, all right below the defender reinforcement ones. The numbers here are default 2 for lead charge and village raid, and default 5 for both castles. Changing these will make the attacker get more or less reinforcement waves.

This SHOULD work, but I haven't had time to test it just yet - and I have class in a couple hours so I won't be able to until later.
Works like a charm, as far as I can tell. This definitely makes battles go by faster when you get mugged by an enemy army. Stupid pathfinding bug...

Lord Kinlar said:
In 0.960, you can modify troop.txt anytime you want and the changes take effect immediately and I'm pretty sure about this. :wink:
Yep, I can definitely confirm that .960 let you alter troops (but not lords or NPCs) after a game started.

This thread is lacking weapon scripts:

itm_awlpike Awlpike Awlpike 1  pike 0  6651908 4222131026002688 378 8202 3.500000 100 0 0 0 12 30720 92 0 160 0 287 30

In the blue is the attributes, if you want to swing a glaive like a regular axe on horse back, all you need to do is copy and past the corresponding numbers from an axe script over the glaive script.

Orange is weapon weight.

In light green is the weapon speed; slower speeds are generally better for cavalry weapons, faster for infantry weapons.

In red is weapon reach.

In green is damage and type of damage. However, I never quite figured how this computed into blunt, pierce, and cut damage though.

One of them has to be the price, I don't know which one though :neutral:. Can someone fill me in one cost and damage?

Swadius said:
This thread is lacking weapon scripts:

as well as horse scripts.  :smile:

Nobody has shown any interest in my post in the modding section so far, so if anybody here wants a custom horse with different colors here's how to do it.

Let's say that I want to create a new horse type which is as fast as a courser and as maneuverable as a steppe horse and let's call it "Messenger Horse".

This new horse type has different colors/textures (and meshes?) for different types, such as...

Champion Messenger Horse -> White (like coursers)
Spirited Messenger Horse -> Black (like saddle horses)
Heavy Messenger Horse -> Brown (like hunters)
Stubborn Messenger Horse -> Grey (like sumpter horses)
Messenger Horse (Default) -> White (like steppe horses)

Now, all you need to do is to add the line below to the very bottom of item_kinds1.txt and add one to the number at the top of the same file.

itm_messenger_horse Messenger_Horse Messenger_Horse 5 steppe_horse 0  sumpter_horse 4294967296  hunting_horse 262144  saddle_horse 34359738368  courser 68719476736  65537 0 1500 110595670016 0.000000 60 0 40 0 5 150 41 43 0 0 20 0

What the blue part says that this item has 5 different meshes and the default is steppe_horse, stubborn is sumpter_horse etc.
The red part makes this item a horse and merchandisable. The orange part is its price for the standard one. The purple number is the list of available modifiers for this particular item (Heavy, Lame, Swaybacked, Stubborn, Spirited, Champion). The green part is the weight, abundance, head armor, body armor(40), foot armor, difficulty(5), hit points(150), maneuverability(41), speed(43), weapon length, ammo, charge damage(20), swing damage respectively.

Swadius said:
Shatari said:
Swadius said:
itm_awlpike Awlpike Awlpike 1  pike 0  6651908 4222131026002688 378 8202 3.500000 100 0 0 0 12 30720 92 0 160 0 287 30
I don't know about the damage, but I bolded the price for you.

Thank you.

Regarding the damage translating into blunt/pierce or cut...

I don't remember which is which, but it is determined by the number - 0-255 is one type, then 256-511 is another, 512-767 is another (I don't have time to see if they each go to 256 apiece instead of 255, but you get the idea.  I THINK Pierce is first, but I've been using the item editor prett much since I figured that division out, so that I wouldn't have to deal with the math.

TheMageLord said:
I looked into reinforcements, and it's set to give 2 waves on a normal battle and 7 on a siege.

(search for it without the #, I just put that there to explain). That's a check to see if defender reinforcements is below the #. Every reinforcement wave adds 1 to the number, so it sends # reinforcement waves. There should be 4 instances of it: Lead charge, village raid, castle with belfry, and castle with ladder. On lead charge and village raid it's set to 2, while on the castles it's set to 7. Changing those numbers will increase or decrease the number of reinforcement waves available to the defender.

You'll find 4 instances of this too, all right below the defender reinforcement ones. The numbers here are default 2 for lead charge and village raid, and default 5 for both castles. Changing these will make the attacker get more or less reinforcement waves.

This SHOULD work, but I haven't had time to test it just yet - and I have class in a couple hours so I won't be able to until later.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

I have a question

What is it that determines what mercenaries are available and where?  I would like to add farmers to the available list and remove some of the higher trained mercenaries.

TheMageLord said:
I believe most of the numbers in parties.txt are location information, and setting things like the ai behavior (on towns and castles it's hold, to keep the towns from running off!) and icon. I don't think prisoner or troop limits would be in there. I looked around a bit in scripts.txt and don't see anywhere setting a limit on troops or prisoners though - what is the limit? I know I've stationed around 500 troops in places without any kind of artificial limit stopping me.
I'm not sure what the limit for troop garrison is, as like you I have never hit that one :grin:..... but lord/king prisoner limit is 32. It says in red, "party capacity reached", so no other prisoners of any type can be "given" (give button fades out).

I remember seeing a pic somewhere on these boards, of an entire dungeon packed with prisoner lords, so I thought it was possible (not hardcoded).... but the pic was of a small dungeon, whereas the Ryibelet castle's dungeon is pretty spacious..... so maybe it just looked as if there were more in the pic.

I appreciate the extra effort you gave to this one, but don't put yourself out over it. If worse comes to worse I'll just have to try for a city or another castle to store them.

TheMageLord said:

Does this mean there is no need for multiple 'rounds' in battles now?

Back
Top Bottom