Competitive Mount & Blade has made its way to Facebook!

Users who are viewing this thread

Tonight we have the qualifiers for the European Championship Fives
Teams will fight for a place in the group stage of the tournament. We asked Thunderbolt Ferrets’ captain, Berta, about his team and what he thought of the upcoming  match against Venture Knights.

We're called Thunderbolt Ferrets and we've decided to form a team for the EC5 tournament for fun, that doesn't mean we're not going to try to win though, this just isn't our main objective. Our roster consists of 7 players: me (Bertalicious), Volcom, Levhan, Tom54p, Zahari, Peter Avastrat and Oragon Verroll.

Since it might be interesting for some people, the name for our team was created by me and Volcom, we wanted to have something sounding powerful and also an animal as a mascot, so I took my favourite pet and Volcom added the other part.

About members:

me (Bertalicious) - I'm a main-class-ranged from Poland, and I decided to start competitive Warband when I was invited to the Warriors of Quiperland team, by Robin, who was my close friend since then. Playing in the tournaments helped me develop my English skills and in addition I've made lots of new friends. I think my most treasured Warband memory is everything connected with people, these small situations happening every time I join a teamspeak - to play - competitively or not. I love gathering up with friends just to enjoy whatever we do at that moment.

I would prefer if every member could describe himself here, because I have no idea how to express their personalities the best. However, I will do my best to say how I perceive them. To begin with, they are all super nice and friendly people.

Peter Avastrat, from UK, is a very expressive person, who loves talking about everything, at any time, which is both a good and a bad thing. We're always laughing hard when he's telling us a story - and this is so confusing when we're in a match! Furthermore, he can imitate various voices perfectly, probably because of his vocal talents - he sings very pretty.

Volcom, from Netherlands, is a veteran player probably known by most of the community. Definitely a calm and very helpful person, experienced as a cav, inf and ranged. He's both a programmer and a musician.

Tom54p, from Italy, is a pizza-pasta-man. I met him in my beloved clan - Wolfpack, in which I spent the best Warband time. He's decided to help us in the tournament by using his superior infantry skills. Tom is a great team player and even greater and loyal friend, always had fun with him!

Oragon Verroll, from Israel, and Levhan, from Norway, are good, old friends of mine. Played with me in the past and joined back for the tournament after a longer break. Looking forward to playing with them again!

Zahari, from Poland, is the least known person by me, comparing to people mentioned above. So far he's showed commitment and skills necessary for such tournaments, he seems to be a very calm and friendly person. I suppose the future will show more!

About match:

We're playing against Venture Knights, and this won't be the first time we've played against them. Since we won our last match, we're looking forward to win this time as well. We feel quite confident but still see a danger in our opponent, it would definitely be unwise to underestimate them, they can be a serious threat. Let's just hope for good and even fight!

Teams will fight for a place in the group stage of the tournament. We asked Panda and Friends co-captain, RaGe, about his team and what he thought of the upcoming  match against Independent Warriors. His reply was short and sweet:

We collected this team a few hours before the registration was completed. We do not pursue any goals, we play just for fun. Any victory in this tournament will be luck.

ru.gif
RaGe (Cavalry/Infantry).
ua.gif
Kassia (Infantry)
kz.gif
Tork789(Cavalry)
ru.gif
Corsario_Negro (Infantry/Cavalry). He is a Cuban who moved to Russia.
ru.gif
Thunderball (Infantry)
ru.gif
Free (Cavalry/Rangers)
ua.gif
Eldar (Rangers)

Teams will fight for a place in the group stage of the tournament. We asked Venture Knights co-captain, GrafBlade, about his team and what he thought of the upcoming  match against Thunderbolt Ferrets.

I am GrafBlade (Germany) - Allrounder (used to be main inf, but going for ranged nowadays, tho’ I'll most likely play cav in our 5v5 team xD)

My previous clans are: Wonwokie, Bloodravens, PoP, for WNL5 with Order of Knights and for WPL2 with Forlorn Hope (both own teams made for this tournaments), RF currently
I'm a calm player, who's used to feint himself 

Our chances of winning: As we have a new formed team and just played 2 training matches, our chances are just average. But at these Training matches we were able to improve our communication.

We have done some experiments with setup and also know a bit about our opponent, as we played against them on Monday. We lost, but we had some really intense rounds, so we'll see what we can do tonight. I'd say both teams are on a quite equal level in terms of individual skills, our problem is the missing of a real main cav player.
That could also be the key to win tonight: to keep away their cav from our infs.

My most treasured Warband memory? I have no clue  I have several awesome memories, not only from Native.
In general I can say that I had the most fun on the Wolfpack_Siege Server, still my uncontested favourite server in Warband, one where I've spent myriads of hours, with nice players like Pepper or the Wolfpack members. Such awesome moments were the last stands on maps like Helm's Deep or the 300 map "Hotgates"  :party: :party: :party:
Yes, I'm a real Siege Enthusiast 

VK-Players

Oz played for OoK and FTW. His nationality is also German. Most often he plays infantry but can also play archer a bit. His greatest highlight was the feeling of the first multiplayer siege sessions, where about 200 people fought each other.
Avantro played for BR and some other clans. He comes from Germany. He Most often plays as cav or infantry. Good man for a crucial 1v1 for round win (and for TKs)
Bullez played for Fearless and Malta and comes from Germany. His main classes are archer and infantry. Haven't played with him before this tournament.
Sigmar played for FH and comes from Switzerland. His main classes are infantry and archer. Tends to get separated from the team xD
(LordMetzger isn't there atm, so I can't get information about his Warband history)

European Championship Fives: Final - AE_Gold_Deacon

Tonight we have the Final for the European Championship Fives
We asked AE Gold’s captain, Deacon, about his team, the tournament and what he thought of the upcoming match against Frontline Tactics.

We went into this tournament with 3 AE teams. The additional AE teams were formed to allow everyone in the clan to play. We had too many for 2 teams but not enough for 3 without recruiting. I'm aware some have claimed this means the end of AE as we know it but that's nonsense. I'm not concerned about Apis Europae breaking up - Apis Europae will be here long after all the current members are dead and the earth is withering under the blaze of a dying sun.

Picture by Purzelblume

The tournament has been running pretty well and the feedback has been generally positive. I think the defaults earlier on in the tournament were a combination of factors, mainly having 2 matches a week and a roster cap. In retrospect having these both perhaps caused a few more defaults than ideal. I think 2 matches a week can definitely work, although I don't know if it's something I would take forward and definitely not something I would use in conjunction with a roster cap. GSL Groups as a format is tried and tested for Warband in the ECS and I have complete faith in it. I think many of the defaults were given by weaker teams that were just avoiding big losses such as GoG vs KROWA in the 1st knockout round.

Our pick/bans for the tournament have mainly been focusing on our own weaknesses and strengths instead of the opponents. We've tried to pick maps where we can run two cavalry as it's a playstyle that works well with our team. This means we've picked maps like Reveran, Castellum and Naval. Our bans have mainly been maps such as Sandi and Vendetta as these are really poor maps for playing two cavalry on.

Our first opponent in the KO Stage was Affet who we beat fairly comfortably. They're a good side but we were stronger across the board and won fairly handily in the end. Our next opponent was Saracens in the quarters. SRC had just come off an impressive win against Unity so were coming into the match as favourites. Once again we tried to pick open maps which also suited them as they play a really awkward kitey style. We drew the first map which had very unbalanced factions - the standout for me was my (obviously) triple kill with javs although there were a lot of impressive performances on both sides. We managed to score wins on the next two maps Castellum and Verloren and took the game.

Our semi final opponent was KROWA who were the tournament's 2nd favourite. Once again we went in as slight underdogs, with KROWA having crushed all opposition thus far. My personal performance was really poor but I was delighted that my team managed to carry me. It went all the way to Winterburg after we came from behind to draw Verloren 2-2. It was a fantastic match for the spectator and a terrible one for me! Winterburg went all the way to 2-2 before we managed to secure the win. I think we probably could have won the match considerably earlier had it not been for some really poor fumbles. That said it was a great match and KROWA in whatever form are always extremely challenging opponents.

Our opponents in the final are Frontline Tactics who were 8th seed. They have really proven themselves throughout this tournament and I wasn't surprised they beat Requiem to make it into the final. I think they have really gotten to grips with how to play 5v5, probably more so than any other team including my own. They make the correct decisions quickly and they play a very safe style which is hard to take advantage of. They are definitely more than the sum of the parts which is commendable and difficult to achieve. We banned Mountain Fortress after our disastrous performance on the map in the semi final. We then had to ban Vendetta or Sandi as we knew they would pick either one. We plumped for Vendetta as it's difficult and they picked Sandi as their map. They have a very interesting heavy infantry style on Sandi which is very awkward to play against. We picked Naval Outpost after they banned Reveran and Castellum. It should be a really exciting game and Verloren is an excellent 3rd map that suits both teams.

dont know how likely a team pic is as it's been pretty difficult to get our team together. Can't you just use a picture of me as I’m the most important person?

Streams:
AE_Gold v Saracens https://youtu.be/lGvKS-v3a28
AE_Gold v Krowa https://youtu.be/1FLaWyd19zo

Follow MnBComp:
Contact MnBComp Staff:
8tq8qck.gif
Aeronwen
fARbO47.png
nCdbBIZ.gif
Steam
mEyXAms.gif
TaleWorlds
1ELYCbP.png
Twitter
Captain Lust 
nCdbBIZ.gif
Steam
mEyXAms.gif
TaleWorlds
1ELYCbP.png
Twitter
Le Roux
nCdbBIZ.gif
Steam
mEyXAms.gif
TaleWorlds
1ELYCbP.png
Twitter
OGL
nCdbBIZ.gif
Steam
mEyXAms.gif
TaleWorlds
1ELYCbP.png
Twitter

Original article posted on 15th July 2017

European Championship Fives: Final - FT Oliveran

Tonight we have the Final for the European Championship Fives
We asked Frontline tactic’s co captain, Oliveran, about his team, the tournament and what he thought of the upcoming match against AE Gold.

Introduction
Hello, I'm Oliveran from Frontline Tactics (in EC5), currently playing infantry as well as being the main commander in the team.

About the team
I was asked to write a little about my feelings regarding the tournament, the format, the groupstage & knockout stage matches and of course about the team, Frontline Tactics - FT.

I'd first like to start talking about the team. At the start, I actually didn't plan to play in EC5 at all. Charlini initially had a few other players planned for the team - for an example eRRoR and PriNce who ended up playing with Saracens instead - before approaching me, as I was finishing my university studies. I did take the time to play properly though, and as evident from the overall result I do not regret having to stress to manage the time between scrims and my last university exams! So big props to Charlini for not giving up with finding a winning squad so early when most players had already gotten their teams when he lost two of the major players in the team, at the time.

I'd like to give props to Sparta and Fietta, as I really did have some doubt in how they'd fit into the team with their strong differences in personalities and how the performance would be; especially since I at the time had never played together with Sparta in such an environment. However, they've proven to perform really well when it's come down to it, hitting the shots and getting the kills when it's mattered the most. Not to take anything away from my other teammates, Charlini and Dume of course, but I had less doubt in the team atmosphere and performance prior when it came to those two. After only a single scrim I immediately saw the potential, and has really enjoyed the journey to the finals. So a shoutout to Fietta 'the sexy singer' and Sparta 'the marry-me voice' for surprising me in a very positive way!

Regarding the tournament format; my personal opinion is that there should be a wider variety of high-rated players to give vote to the seeding (note: the more experienced, the better). The seeding turned out okay, although I think it could've looked a bit different, though mostly re-ordering between the top "14 highest" seeded teams. The system allows for the "best teams" to fight each other, by battling "lower vs upper" all the way up to the top; a lot like grand slams in tennis - it also allows for some underdog stories which is a nicely added bonus. Note that seeding can always look different, just like how a different shuffle could've set my team (FT) against AE Gold in the top 16 of knockouts, rather than the grand finals; and so on, creating a totally different end result. There's obvious disadvantages in the system, as there's no point-to-team/player rankings to work with initially. It makes the seeding a bit more of a personal opinion than a true performance indicator. But as I said, I think it's worked out well anyway. I also like the GSL-style groupstage format, as it gives teams "a second chance" after losing to still get through.

I don't personally like 5v5 over 8v8; but the format does bring forward different strategies, and makes people value players differently as the individual skill comes forward a lot more over teamworking, awareness-based play that we've grown used to over the years. I do like that more, but it's also both important (and fun) to recognize that there's other types of ways to play the game to be explored.

Top 16 match:
Going on to talk a bit about the matches, I'll just skip to talk about the groupstages entirely as I saw us going the moment we saw our group, and I think nobody was surprised either. Our first match in the knockout stages (top 16) was against AE pink - the old boys Wierdo, Anders, Morii and Blivandefar coupled with the still-active Azan and Mitchell. We felt that on a skill level, due to the inactivity of most of their roster before to the announcement of the tournament (disregarding their successes as players prior to it), we had an advantage. However, Azan's always proven to be a thorn in the side of all teams, always commanding efficiently and working the time and flags very well. While we did mess up on Mountain Fortress, causing us an eventual draw going into a third map, they still played well. Especially noteable is that we had actually wanted to drop Verloren as a map to play at the start of tournament, deciding to pick it up later as we grew more confident as a team. Overall, seeing how both teams played, I think the result was fair and it was very fun to see the last generation AE's coming back to prove they got fight in them still! Overall 2-0, there was still 3 maps and we were definitely caught a bit off-guard with their playstyle and performance.

Quarter finals match:
The more surprising match was perhaps against AE black. We scrimmed a lot, and came in with a lot of confidence and felt prepared. I personally think AE came in half with overconfidence, half with being unprepared due to not being able to scrim enough prior; it was the most noticeable perhaps on San'di'boush, rather than Castellum, as they've been working around their two cavs a lot anyway. Feeling extra confident, especially with our infantry advantage on closed, saw us getting out ahead 2-0 in two maps in the match. Watch for Fietta's javelins in the match, ended several rounds early when an infantry or cavalry went down before the fight even started in Nords v Vaegirs, A lot of bets lot in this match, to be sure!

Semi finals match:
Going into the semi final against Requiem, we knew they'd be a very awkward team to play. Having their major strength in the shooting and their cavs, we still risked letting through Castellum. While we as a team all agreed we underperformed on Castellum when we lost the map, there's still nothing to take away from Requiem as they got a chance and properly took it, rather than letting us mash forward into a 2-0 victory. However, again, the infantry advantage on Mountain Fortress proved to reign supreme as we went 4-0 as Swadia against Nords. Want to give a little shoutout to Sparta's great performance on Naval Outpost, grabbing 6 kills as the Swadian xbow! 2-1 felt like a fair result considering our underperformance on Castellum.

Summary of the matches
Overall, along the matches, it was clear that teams preferred to play more open maps against us seeing as we're only 5 rather than 6 or 7, lacking an extra shooter and an extra cavalry at times. However, as 5v5 requires more individual performance makes it a bit more sensitive, the positions you fight in, favouring the teams making less mistakes (which, in the end, is how you always win; but not choosing the wrong options). Also, all the teams we played against (and will play against, in the final) has had two cavalries with noteable performances of their prior matches in the tournament (like Peter+Shema, Mitchell+Azan, Watly+Slade) and strong shooters (especially Berg and Razer, constantly active and keeping their skills sharp, considered the crème de la crème in the shooter class).

Going into the grand final:
The grand final will look similar, with a team favouring their cavalries to do the damage. However, AE Gold has strong infantries in DarkLight, Anchor and Deacon; which will be a new strength to battle against. I see ourselves coming in as favourites personally, but do not underestimate AE Gold and their both active and strong roster for one bit! Watch for the cav initiations, the spearwork from both teams, and the archer+infantry vs cavalry+infantry battle that will be the strongest points of both teams.

I'm surprised AE gold let San'di'boush go through, considering our results in both scrims and officials; we'll most likely see some sneaky snake tactics on San'di'boush, perhaps Anchor taking out a hammer; be prepared for some fun moments! Can't wait to see what they have planned for us to deal with on the map.

Streams:
Frontline Tactics vs Requiem https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RznKXceK2XE
Frontline Tactics vs AE Black https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c6lIqp9N0c

Follow MnBComp:
Contact MnBComp Staff:
8tq8qck.gif
Aeronwen
fARbO47.png
nCdbBIZ.gif
Steam
mEyXAms.gif
TaleWorlds
1ELYCbP.png
Twitter
Captain Lust 
nCdbBIZ.gif
Steam
mEyXAms.gif
TaleWorlds
1ELYCbP.png
Twitter
Le Roux
nCdbBIZ.gif
Steam
mEyXAms.gif
TaleWorlds
1ELYCbP.png
Twitter
OGL
nCdbBIZ.gif
Steam
mEyXAms.gif
TaleWorlds
1ELYCbP.png
Twitter

Original article posted on 16th July 2017

K9s00gP.png

graphic by Belendor

The Quarter Finals for the #WBSummerCup see the 1st seeds from each group playing the 2nd seeds from another group as that is how the group stage played out. This week’s Match of the Week is Frontline Tactics v Polish Eagles. Frontline Tactics won every match in their Group Stage while Polish Eagles lost only to AE. In the Knock Out Stage teams factions are fixed in advance but teams pick the maps via 2 ban 1 pick system.

We asked BlackHawk, leader of Polish Eagles, how they felt about their loss to AE and what they thought about the upcoming match.

Blackhawk: We think that we lost to AE because of many mistakes that we made. We have tried to fix them. If we will do it, we have slight chances in the upcoming match.

We banned Frost Haven and Reveran Village because we just don’t feel fully confident on these maps. We are really aware of FT's cav so we thought that banning opened maps is wise choice. We picked Legacy Town because on this map we turned around the match against Sacrosanct so we feel we can give FT a decent fight on it.

We think FT banned River Village because it is a pretty unbalanced map and they were afraid of losing rounds because of some tactical issues. I think that they had some bad memories about playing on Fort of Honor so they didn’t want to play on it. To be honest, I’m not sure why they have done it. On Castellum I believe that they want to give a lot of space for their cavs.

Of course we know rival's skill level. It will be very difficult to win against them, but we believe that we have chances against FT. If we do not make any major mistakes and give them a hard time we can even win the match.
⚔️ ? ⚔️

Charlini, leader of Frontline Tactics said
Charlini: We'll be missing most likely: Dume who has performed really well lately and playing each time more consistent, sadly his computer broke 2 weeks ago and won't be able to play on Sunday; Sparta, he's absent this week also because of tech problems, if he comes he'll probably not play unless he solves his issue; Fietta who has also been performing good lately in our main infantry squad.

We were happy with last week’s match, we've made a few important changes in the team in order to become more solid and minimize mistakes, and it worked out fine last week. Now I'm commanding the team (since ** match) and really trying to adapt a bit to my own style, just hope that we can keep improving and find some consistency in the matches to come. Everyone overall in the team is performing good individually and developing some teamplay around each other.

I wasn't here for the Pick/bans and I had my team to do it on time. We're really concerned about Polish Eagles’ strengths and tried to pick around them and our own good points. So basically banning River Village and FoH was mainly because we believe that they're 2 type of maps that are really good for rangers and javelin throwers, which is something really respected in some PE players. And about our pick, Castellum, we just believed that it was a great option with these factions for this match up.

PE made good choices overall, banning Frosthaven and Reveran shows that they believe our strengths rely on the cavalry and archers, and wanted to counter it. The bans around these thoughts if you look at it that way, are really good. And about picking Legacy Town well, I see it as an option similar to Fort of Honour, where javelins can become really effective in Sarranid side and with Swadia a good positioned crossbow can do a lot of damage, so it’s a good pick as well.

We don’t underestimate anyone and Polish Eagles have shown that they can beat every single team in the tournament, they got a lot of rounds against AE even if most of them were by the end of the match, but they also did beat Sacrosanct which was a skilled team that almost got the win against AE. We are really gonna go 100% on this match trying to not make a single mistake and really focused in the game. We believe that PE can really give us a hard time if they play how they want to do it and we're going to play at our best level to avoid that. Good luck to them.
?? ? ??​

Watch the match at 20:00 BST, Sunday here  streamed by Greed

This weeks map bans and picks
MAP 1: Nords vs Rhodoks  MAP 2: Swadia vs Sarranid

Match Team Veto 1 Veto 2 Pick
QF A Apis Europae River Village Castellum Verloren
QF A Aequalitas (randomised) Mountain Fortress Fort of Honor Frosthaven
QF B Frontline Tactics River Village Fort of Honour Castellum
QF B Polish Eagles Frosty Battle Reveran Legacy Town
QF C Unity San'di'boush Castellum Naval Outpost
QF C Ferocious Trident Wielders Frosthaven River Village Fort of Honour
QF D The Castellans frosthaven Castellum San'di'boush
QF D Tilde Turtles reveran village Fort of Honour Naval Outpost

Last weeks WSC MotW was posted on FB but not here - here it is for completeness

amKeZQT.png

graphic by Belendor

The Semi Finals for the #WBSummerCup see the 1st seeds from each group playing each other. This week’s Match of the Week is Unity v Apis Europae. Both teams have won all their matches so far. In the Knock Out Stage teams factions are fixed in advance but teams pick the maps via 2 ban 1 pick system.

We asked Unity’s captain Paulo about his teams bans and picks this week...

Paulo: About Sandi, this map is mainly random and we don't play for random things, all is planned! And we banned Fort of Honour because it may be one of the map we don't control enough in my opinion and AE are strong on it.
We picked Frosthaven because we have a good feeling on it and factions were a good things for this map (Sarranid v Nord is pretty unbalanced).
⚔️ ? ⚔️

AE’s Captain, Deacon, was as usual quite down to earth...
Deacon: we basically just ban the maps we don’t want to practise.
River Village we haven't played in ages because we got crushed a few times on it years ago and have banned it ever since. Similar deal with Castellum.
We picked Verloren as it was one of the only closed maps left after they banned Sandi and Fort of Honour. We tend to do well on closed maps historically because we have a good depth of infantry talent. Although we will be missing Scar tonight which is big of course. Also if someone is banning a certain type of map against you it probably means you’re doing something right on them!
?? ? ??​

Watch the match at 20:00 BST, Sunday here  streamed by Purzelblume

MAP 1: Sarranids vs Nords MAP 2: Swadia vs Rhodoks

SF A Unity Fort of Honour San'di'boush Verloren
SF A Apis Europae Castellum River Village Frosthaven
SF B The Castellans Frosthaven Castellum San'di'boush
SF B Frontline Tactics Fort of Honor Legacy Town Reveran Village

bBT2fjW.png

graphic by Belendor

The Grand Final for the #WBSummerCup is this week’s Match of the Week, Unity v Frontline Tactics. Both teams have won all their matches so far. In the Knock Out Stage factions are fixed in advance but teams pick the maps via 2 ban 1 pick system, for the final a 3rd map is randomised from those not banned or picked.

We talked to Paulo, the captain of Unity and Charlini, captain of FT about their map picks, tournament so far and what they expect from tonight’s match.

Charlini:
Banning Frosthaven and River Village was under the reasoning that we've practised a lot in Castellum & Reveran, considering that Unity are good in open we wanted to ban open maps and there were really no better options than securing to play somewhere where we feel comfortable. We expected them to first pick an open map, but considering that they didn't, and they picked a mixed map forcing the 3rd map as open, the factions aren't the ones we expected. But still I think this is, on paper considering it's sarranid vs rhodok, a really balanced match up that will be really enjoyable by both sides.

We wanted to secure a good open map for ourselves, with the bans we did that. The moment they first picked a mixed map only closed ones were available for the 3rd map, and yeah, they banned San’di’boush which was our best map during the tournament, so we went with Verloren which is a map where we also feel really comfortable even if they won there against AE.

I think that these were really smart bans by them, they're probably not confident about playing us in close quarters or just prefer to play around open areas, and Sandi and Legacy are the two closest maps of the pool so yeah, logical bans that force us to pick Verloren or Fort of Honour which are wider and easier for Vaegirs. It's definitely a good option. About Naval, it’s a really interesting match up, they wanted to choose where to play the mixed map, and were willing to give up factions that perhaps were good for them in open for this. Again, if they didn't feel comfortable about a possible Mountain Fortress 3rd map, first picking Naval is a really nice choice for them. In the end this map will probably be really intense.

We are really happy about Castellum as the 3rd map but Reveran would also have been good for us, our bans were completely around that, any of the randomisations would've fit our intentions. I think the factions can give lot of flexibility towards the way an open map is normally played. Well wouldn't say it favours any of us, I think it will really come down to the way it's played and that small mistakes can determine really who gets that map. Unity is really strong in open, we've intention to win all of the maps including this one, but again, Unity has proven to be sick in all of these but especially open maps, so we will just try to do our job and not underestimate them just because of the fact that we like the factions and map.

When we adapted the team to the 8v8 scene and knew the roster we had, yeah, I guess we had intentions of reaching the finals at least. Some of us didn't care that much about the result but just wanted to play together, others wanted to reach the semifinals or finals, and some others wanted to win, but overall I would say that reaching the finals was the common goal, now that we are here, we just wanna win the competition, and all of us are really hyped about the upcoming match.

AE is of course a team that we wanted to face (as is Unity). But I'm quite sure that we'll get a chance to face each other in other competitions. To be honest, I thought that they were gonna beat Unity in Semifinals, AE had dominated the 8v8 scene for a really long time, and it's a fact that they always perform in officials way better than in trainings, so I really expected them to eliminate Unity. So yeah I was surprised to see them fall, again, I guess they also had lot of problems recently, they lacked training time, they lacked members specially Scar who was performing absolutely sick in the past weeks for them and I guess all combined and a few mistakes decided the match against a really good team which deserved the win in the end. Good luck for AE after the tournament and I hope to see them in the finals in the next tournament they take part in, whether FT is included in these finals or not.

My most memorable moment is the win against Castellans, we were really surprised about the one sided result and satisfied about it, it was probably one of the best moments for us in the tournament, reaching the finals with that kind of performance. Probably the match against Aequalitas during week 5 was also one of the best, I started to command the team the same week, and it was really nice to see that we started to play better and more consistent after a while not really in our best level. I hope that we still get to save some good moments in the upcoming match though, Great luck to Unity, they look really strong and consistent and deserve the spot in the finals that they earned beating AE. Let's expect the finals are a good show.
?? ? ??​

Paulo:
We banned maps (San'di'boush & Legacy Town) where the results can come from luck, in our opinions we think that two maps can be win just by the luck of flags or from factions. We try to make news tactics to surprise our opponents; after so longtime, in some tournaments, tactics become much the same for all teams, we want to make new moves and these two closed maps don't let us act in this way. Naval outpost in our last big tournament had always been a good choice for Unity and players like it because being first at the flag position don't give an advantage as the flags are quite open. This final must look like a spectacle! A show for all the Warband players! I really hope for a match with the doubt of the winner until the last second!
FT banned Frosthaven and River Village because we are the best team in these two maps, they were quite afraid to fight against us on it - haha
They picked Verloren because we didn't play so well against AE during semi final but I think they make an error, we learned from our mistakes and they let us have a map on which we will have had two weeks of training.

The  third map, Castellum is not a bad map for us. Their Cavs are dangerous for sure, it could be a advantage for them, but Unity is at its best level so far (And I think we can get even better in future) our archers and infs are really sick.

Honestly, I was sure to go far like we never did in this tournament, I was profoundly sure we would win against AE last week, the same feeling as I had in WNL 5  the last big tournament before I went to China.

Today is the last match of the tournament, Unity will give everything tonight to claim the trophy!

We had a lot of memorable moments in this tournament, the pleasure to play again with my friends, to be stressed before a match, to lead again. I was afraid all of this would be lost after my year in China but every Unity member was here at my return and ready to fight together again.

I am also glad to have met new guys like Kane and Menethil, to see Bruce, Khefren and Ciiges come back in my team! (Legend and Unity)

I am also glad that Unity keep the mind to not be only a team but a family

I hope long life to Unity and never forget

#OneGoal
⚔️ ? ⚔️

You can watch the pre match special at 19:00 BST tonight
and the match at 19:30 BST on here
Streamed by Purzelblume & Greed with Raven & Nevino.

MAP 1: Sarranids vs Nords MAP 2: Swadia vs Rhodoks

Final Unity San'di'boush Legacy Town Naval Outpost
Final Frontline Tactics Frosthaven River Village Verloren
Final 3rd Map Castellum
Bronze Apis Europae River Village Verloren Reveran Village
Bronze The Castellans Frosthaven Castellum Legacy Town
Bronze 3rd Map Naval Outpost

Spotlight on… Runaway Scorpions [RS]

In one of our occasional looks at historical Warband clans we go back to Warband Beta and the shaping of competitive play with Black Corsair: leader of the Runaway Scorpions [RS]

How did RS come into being?
First of all, multiplayer which was added to M&B was a brain explosion for every M&B fan. Everyone thought, that – wow I’m so cool in single player, have best armour and army, I will be soooo cool in multiplayer. And then after the first few attempts in multiplayer all those illusions were completely destroyed – PvP is very competitive, and to be effective you really should have hours of practice.
It was fun to play even alone, but it became obvious soon enough, that even 3-5 players who play TOGETHER and cover each other, can destroy an army of players who play alone.
So that was the first reason to start creating a team of competitive regular playing warriors. Runaway Scorpions was founded on Jan 20th 2010. See the founding post on TW here and on rusmnb here.

Here we could found that first clan war was like 4 vs 4 players (1st February of 2010), mainly because it was still closed beta-test, and not many players had access to the game).
I don't remember in details how we choose our clan name, but as I remember we rather soon decide that we will be "Scorpions" - as we loved to make quick sudden attacks - and a bit later we choose "Runaway" (first variant was "Russian", but too boring) - as we often used a tactic of hit'n'run - while opponents "sank in the melee battle" , we were able to regroup and shot from the flank by group of crossbowmen

What were your aims, what did you hope to achieve with this clan?
Regarding aims - it's like with birth of children - first you just trying to get fun, but later you discover that wife is pregnant!
Same here - at first we were just getting pure fun, team play etc, but it turned into a goal of building a strong team (ideally best Russian team), while being respectful to our opponents.
We find each other in game - there weren't that many players and servers at first, so any skilful (or at least serious and ready to learn) Russian player got our attention. Soon we understand that we need a TeamSpeak to communicate during battle to cover each other. So as soon as we start talking in TeamSpeak, it was a matter of time to discuss our tactic, lives, future, battles, Warband features etc).
And later our teammate Nock created site with forum so we got our home, were we can discuss past and future clan battles, our and opponent's tactics, accept applications of new members. So it's really helpful to have such a place.

Who were the main players who helped shape RS?
Neud - who brought the main basis of clan building and teamplay for us.
Nock – who never was the best combatant, but is very disciplined, reliable, he stopped many conflicts, created the  clan site, so he always was some kind of “power behind the throne”
Just4fun – was a true fan of the game, he was the first to learn all new features and moves, and was always at the top.
(and me – most humble person)

What do you feel the clan contributed to the competitive scene?
I don’t have many illusions that we brought very much to the competitive scene, but for a year or two we were that dream team, who was able to win some great clan battles, such as our victories (there were defeats too ofc) vs CoR, 22nd Battalion and a draw with IG. But of course our main pride was the victory in Nations Cup 2010 (damn, six years ago, I m old). So for the first years we were a beau ideal, at least for many Russian clans. It was first Nations Cup, so T-shirts were "invented" a year later and maybe it was hard to deliver it in Russia, so they weren't sent. Much later - 2-3 years later - we got the steam keys of Napoleonic add-on as a substitute. Well, it's no problem - main is emotions from winning. (well if the prize were Ferrari, then totally I could sacrifice my emotions).

Here is for example some videos of clan war from February 2010 (game was in closed beta test) - http://rusmnb.ru/index.php?topic=4672.msg180063#msg180063
At that times of closed beta-test, we regularly did reports to bug-tracker, and some key parts of the game were still changing. For example, I remember the times when throwing weapons have very high throwing speed and damage, so it was real to kill 3 enemies with 3 throwing axes in like two seconds, so Nordic huscarls were gods of war that times.) Players were only learning to do manual blocks, so the guy with two handed weapon who could block few times in a row – was like a legend for others.
I will remember the times of closed beta-test, as a time of real fans of Warband – as I remember we very rarely had any conflicts with other players, while playing public or discussing future clan battle – because that people wanted mainly to play a great game, and not to start a forum battle, which became a popular “sport” later.

Tell us about early Warband
Well, I really don't remember about gamemodes - as I remember we loved "Battle" and I suppose it was always in game. (I was playing since 0.68+ versions) Many of my clanmates also loved "Siege" of course. But I was always a fan of "Battle" - one match, one life - if you die - you can only spectate. It brought a value to your "life" - if you love straight forward rush to die first - well then you will play 30 seconds, and then spectate 4:30 minutes

As for factions - as I can remember - they were pretty same - only "Sarranids" were invented later, and they were a mix of Vaegirs+Khergits. And regarding "Khergits" - they haven't "infantry" class for years. I suppose there weren't any need to add infantry class to Khergits - it made them unique. Oh boy and how EVERYONE hated Khergits on clan battles And we loved them, and never denied to play against Khergits. And only few clans have that level of team play to be able to do something against a bunch of horse archers - one of them was 22nd Battalion of course.
As for us, on Nations Cup we effectively compete against Khergits (as I remember it was match against Italian team), being Swadians. We took crossbows and a bit of cavalry. And a result of each round was determined if we could made 2 headshots to Khergits horse archers before the flags appear.

As for balance - oh, it's really hard to remember.  Many features were only there for few weeks, like some kind of parries, which later became chambers.
What I remember for sure, as I already told - was crazy speed of throwing weapons - like you could made 2-3 kills in 2 seconds only by throwing. And if I am not mistaken - couching by lances were automatical, which made life of horsemen much easier.
Of course, some kind of weapons and armours were added during beta-test also, but I can hardly remember which exactly. The players were only learning to play - to block attacks, to make feints, to shoot correctly with the calculation of the trajectory.

As for other clans - at the stage of closed beta - no, there was not really any competition for us on Russian stage. After release - many of clans appeared, but the only one I should really mention - it's Druzhina, organised by Vanok - the creator of popular rusmnb.ru site. The clan was really huge, largest number of players, which allowed them to choose skilful players for important clan battles. So later, after Nations Cup, when we "rest on our laurels" we even lost clan battle to them.
But later we got a few Druzhina players to our ranks, and the one I will mention here is Chester (Ramon) - who became my nice friend, and he is a talented player and even battle commander.

By the way, we had rather many conflicts in team - especially after Nations Cup, when many of players lost an interest to the competitive playing. At same time, that was the time of rise of "Guard of Istiniar", and we lost few clan battles to them with crushing score (and our first clan battle ended with a draw). That was the dark time for clan, when we lost some people in conflicts after defeats, and some just lost interest. So nowadays we have maybe only about 25 players who are ready for competitive gaming right now, but these players were checked in many battles, so it's a valuable team 
The last thing I should mention, is that we always tried to be gentlemen in our clan battles - so for example we have the "mute" rule on clan battles - only battle commander could write in chat - to avoid chaos and conflicts.
These rules aren't used by many clans - which turns into mess in clan battles chats, which looks very childish, and for me it was one of the reasons to finish RS clan battles story, because these slang was sometimes used even by some clan leaders while discussing future clan battles.

Best memories of playing with the clan?
That was the great time, when we have a combination of nice skills, team play, and nice atmosphere in team (and time to practice). So that’s the best memories, but for me even more important is that some of us become real friends, so despite the fact that we stopped clan battles few years ago, we still play together some other games, and even meet in real life (and remember, for some of us it’s really hard due to the size of our country).
But for all the years, we haven’t found any worthy game, which could replace Warband. The only salvation was a mod CRPG, which now turning into future Of Kings and Men. But the competition never hurts, so I’m sure that Bannerlord will shine bright.
I hope, my flood of words was useful by any means, and we have a dream to participate in closed beta-test of Bannerlord – it’s a real ideal game for most of us. (So a dozen of keys would be like an Olympic gold for us)
~~​

Follow MnBComp:
Contact MnBComp Staff:
8tq8qck.gif
Aeronwen
fARbO47.png
nCdbBIZ.gif
Steam
mEyXAms.gif
TaleWorlds
1ELYCbP.png
Twitter
Captain Lust 
nCdbBIZ.gif
Steam
mEyXAms.gif
TaleWorlds
1ELYCbP.png
Twitter
Le Roux
nCdbBIZ.gif
Steam
mEyXAms.gif
TaleWorlds
1ELYCbP.png
Twitter
OGL
nCdbBIZ.gif
Steam
mEyXAms.gif
TaleWorlds
1ELYCbP.png
Twitter

Original article posted on 24th December 2017
If you want to turn the spotlight on any aspect of competitive Warband please contact a member of our staff.

Check out the first WNL profile of 2018 here

Updated for 2017
I am sure I missed stuff as many twitch links are no longer working - if you notice someone who streamed a tournament match missing please post with the relevant info :smile:

This is a utility post intended to be a resource for Streamers, tournament admins and all those seeking to promote Warband

For the moment I have concentrated on streamers who show tournament matches. I know I will have missed out quite a few and there may be details I have guessed at or omitted. Please post if you have any updates for this post and I will happily include them.

If there is any demand for it I would include a table of Youtubers as well

Tournament Streamers

5620582193_07207bc789_o.png
StreamerStreamVoD LinkContact201220132014201520162017
BladeCast_TV    ----NC16
ECS3
WPL2
BoB
BRO    ---WNL5WMT2
ECL2
ECS3
NC2017
WNL6
The Cardboard Box    -----WNL6
J7L
Chan 1254  ---NC15
ECS2
-
DoF    ---WMT
WNL5
WWC
WMT2
NC16
WWC
EC5
J7L
Greed      ---20152NC16
ECS3
WMT2
SDI
WNL6
SL2
RTC2
J7L
WSC
EC5
NC17
BoB
Heroes-
Konstrush----NC15NC16
ECS3
NC17
LeRoux    -NC13-ECS2WMT2
MB_TV    WNLWNL2
ECS
2WNL3
WNL4
NC14
NC15
WNL5
ECS2
ECL
-
Nexoner    ----WMT2
ECS3

EC5
BoB
Oliveran  ---NC15WMT2
WPL2
ECS3
WNL6
NC17
Purzelblume    ---WNL6
WSC
EC5
Taleworlds Entertainment    -----BoB
Tq_TV    ----WMT2
Volcom  --WNL4WMT
ECS2
ECL
WNL5
NC15
-
Warband BattleStream  NC12
WNL
NC13
WNL2
ECS
NC14--WNL6
Warband NA    -NC13
UNAC
BIT
UNACS2
UNACS3
UNACS4-
StreamerStream LinkVoD LinkContact201220132014201520162017

[td][/td]
[td]-[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]-[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]NC14[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]-[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]-[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]

[tr]
[td]IG[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][url=https://www.twitch.tv/guardofistiniar]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td] - [/td]
[td][/td]
[td]     [/td]
[td][/td]
[td] - [/td]
[td][/td]
[td] - [/td]
[td][/td]
[td] NC14 [/td]
[td][/td]
[td] - [/td]
[td][/td]
[td] - [/td]
[td][/td]
[td] [/td]
[/tr]

~~x><x~~

Key
twitch_icon.png
  Twitch

beamlogo_zpsp7xz07lv.png
  Beam

youtube_icon.png
  YouTube

P6EEJdM.gif
  Taleworlds Forum

favicons
  Twitter

ler7hzy.gif
  Steam

Details of all tournaments can be found here

2016 BRO also did ECL2 and NC2017 and WNL6 in 2017. Also, the contact links are to the wrong person, could you use:

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BRO_Hippotitis

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/hiphophippo

Finally, we are BRO, not bro.

Cool post though, appreciate the effort :grin:

WNL6: Team profile ~ Frontline Tactics ~
Week 5 of the WNL6 has been spread out over christmas, one of the remaining matches to be played, Frontline Tactics v Geese Pack is the most anticipated match of the week. MnBComp spoke to Dume about his team and the upcoming match.​

What do you recall of the first 4 matches (v  DoF, EK, Wolfpack,  GWB)?
After WSC, we made some new additions to our roster, our first match against DoF was nice chance to try out our new additions and see how we worked as a team. We won the match, while getting to see some of our new players in action.
In Weeks 2-3 we played some teams that we didn't really know how to face them. Eat What You Kill has Harman as caller maybe bringing unexpected tactics, and Wolfpack has been out of the scene and after they beat FTW we weren't sure what to expect. But the matches were good, they allowed us to learn and correct some of our mistakes, before our match against GWB.
All due respect to our other opponents, GWB was intense and the score doesn't reflect that. They got really unlucky in the closed map, where they had 2 players, Bendetto and Shingen, that lost connection in 2 different rounds 1 each round. Our biggest fear going in, was the closed map, but after seeing how the game was going we became more motivated, and we played to a great level. Results don't always show the intensity of a match, and in those types of matches, anything can really happen at any time.

Tell us about your team?
Frontline Tactics came out for the first time in WSC to the 8v8 format with the idea of just setting up a pretty competitive team that could grow bigger with time until we became consistent. After some good results we found consistency so we decided to stick together for this WNL edition and we're quite positive about playing together after the tournament no matter the outcome.
We've made some additions since WSC to reinforce our roster with which, at the moment, we're quite satisfied as we picked players who really adapted well to our style and the way that we play. We were able to develop some teamwork and the infantry squad seems quite balanced. We have some aggresive infantries, Gibby and Fietta, that fit pretty easily with others more balanced, Eder, Charlini and Habimana.
These guys are complemented by a group of great cavalries SirAlecks, Dume, Firunien and Ciiges that can basically play in whatever style they're asked to, performing really great. To end the  squad we meet the rangers which are pretty much the same than in WSC, we're very glad to have the one that we consider best archer in the game at the moment, Rainbow, followed by 2 other excellent archers, Rayden and Sparta that are always performing great and meeting all the expectations that we could ask for.
All combined at the moment really delivers a squad that we're very glad to have and that is still developing and learning daily how to perform better as one. It would be really hard to choose notable moments for each player, to be fair we pretty much have everyone involved in every single win and sometimes some players pull out the big performance and some other times others, in the end we're playing as a team and we're adapting a lot to the strengths of the faction we're playing. That's why when our archers get good rangers and they get to shoot always have an insane impact, same way that our cavs literally can determine who wins the round just by getting a bit of space. Not to forget that our infantries have always performed at a really good level and acted as a wall when needed. Each player in the team has had a great impact on our games and those who didn't really get to show off that much I'm quite sure that their time to show their best level to the rest of the team as I’m certain that they're capable of really great plays.

How do you feel about the upcoming match against Geesepack?
We have good expectations for the upcoming match, we feel strengthened after the match against GWB, we expect our performance to be on the same  level as in the match against GWB, we need to not get overconfident as there are still 3 matches to be played before the Knockout Stage.

Will it be hard?
Without a doubt. All of our previous matches were tough, even if the  scores were one-sided it doesn't mean the matches weren't complicated.

Who will win?
Obviously we want to win and whatever is best for our team, but it will be a difficult match since GP is a tough opponent.

Which player(s) will you have to watch out for?
Our main concern is their team in general, we will have to wait and see how Oliveran planned the match and what tactics he prepared, but we are sure that he won't go easy on us.

Tell us about the maps and factions in this week.
Well the maps on this week are Reveran Village and Verloren. For the Reveran we find some offensive factions and we believe that these kinda lead to rushed engages and situations where crashes can really escalate quickly and that may fit the cavalries of GP. We'll get to see a lot of action by the infantries in terms of survivability and aggression not to mention that the variety of efficient setups that can be taken with this factions may get us to witness scenarios with 1 ranged, 2 or even 3 in an extreme case to surprise the opponent.
We believe that this map is the most important as depending on the outcome of it the team morale will have a lot of impact on Verloren, a closed map where we have some  factions that are normally displaying a great show on open maps. We meet similar circumstances on this closed map as lot of setups can really work. We will get to see a lot of actions by the ranged players which will surely be the main source of damage in both teams amongst with the cav.  Yet the infs will have a really tough time that probably won't be related with statistics, but with other functions really enjoyable for a spectator to watch closely as the survivability and the control for the fights are gonna be really key on every single result of a teamfight in this match.
In the end we would've liked to have the factions reversed as in my opinion they fit more our preferences and style but in the end we don't dislike any match up currently in the game and this ones allow lot of openings and setups which we enjoy. I'm sure we will display the best performance we can, no matter our circumstances. Geesepack is a really nice team and we hope the best luck for this  match and the ones to come. Hope we deliver a good show.

If you could get Geesepack any present in the world what would it be?
A hoe for Kiano so he can farm more potatoes and a wheelchair for Grandpa Oliveran.

Follow MnBComp:
Contact MnBComp Staff:
8tq8qck.gif
Aeronwen
fARbO47.png
nCdbBIZ.gif
Steam
mEyXAms.gif
TaleWorlds
1ELYCbP.png
Twitter
Callum 
nCdbBIZ.gif
Steam
mEyXAms.gif
TaleWorlds
1ELYCbP.png
Twitter
Le Roux
nCdbBIZ.gif
Steam
mEyXAms.gif
TaleWorlds
1ELYCbP.png
Twitter
OGL
nCdbBIZ.gif
Steam
mEyXAms.gif
TaleWorlds
1ELYCbP.png
Twitter

Original article posted on 1st January 2018
If you want to turn the spotlight on any aspect of competitive Warband please contact a member of our staff.

Check out the next WNL team profile here

Updated for 2019

I am not including streamers who do not save their streams and therefore theer is no record they streamed. I do not really know whether to include players that uploaded their recording afterwards. If anyone thinks that I missed out someone who ought to be on here please post with info and links if possible.

Tournament Streamers