Competitive changes for future tourneys

Users who are viewing this thread

Just thought I'd get the ball rolling since we're in a bit of a quieter time with no clan tournament happening right now. Would be good to see some tweaks to balance gameplay for the competitive scene. I have three main thoughts but good to hear what people think. Oh, and if anyone says "wait for Bannerlord" when I was trawling through old posts on this topic I see people saying it back in 2015 so don't bother.

1) Azan's serverside stat changes - use them.

From here, Azan proposed some changes to the core stats of troop types. This occurs serverside and wouldn't need a mod. Some people may not know but these stats were used in a lesser fashion in ECS3 here. I don't think anyone had any complaints and changes were considered a minor quality of life improvement. I think the main reason they didn't get used in future tournaments is because everyone forgot.

Obviously, the changes don't need to be exactly the same, but some of it is common sense such as improving the shield skill of Vaegir and Sarranid inf.

2) Remove awlpikes from cavalry.

Again a serverside mod by Azan as posted here, I think this change as a balance addition makes sense. Awlpike cav are obviously much stronger than lance cav (faster hits, more damage). It also removes diversity of tactics for swadia, as why bother with going for tank tactics with round 1 armour, or doing complicated great lance drops, when by far the best move is to just give long awlpikes to your cav for, essentially, free (a shield drop). Removing this would go some way to balancing Swadia who currently are by far the best all round faction.

3) My personal pet bug, remove javelins from nord infantry.

HEAR ME OUT. Factions are supposed to be dominant in some regards but have weaknesses in others, correct? Currently the Nord weakness is ranged, with the weaker archers, but strength in melee and decent cav (though vulnerable). However, the abundance of javs for free (simple cav drops) coupled with high power throw and throwing skill on Nords means that any short to medium range fight e.g. 90% of fights in competitive warband nords actually have a range advantage. On a closed map for example, typically you'll see 4 packs dropped for inf plus 1 pack each per cav, so you're looking at 30 javelins on round 1 minimum. Yes they're not accurate, but they don't need to be as they can be thrown with little risk. In effect that's 30 chances for free damage. What this looks like in practice is teams have to hide from Nords unless they are very, very far away (only maps like Field by the River create this situation really), and since you can't pressure them moving they end up in close engagements quickly...where they also have the advantage with high melee damage and axes. Most recently we saw this with Nords vs Vaegirs on Sandiboush, where not only did Vaegirs typically lose the melee fight due to Nords being Nords, but Vaegirs also lost any ranged skirmish despite having the stronger archers, simply due to the amount of projectiles being rained down on them in the open.

Removing javs from inf would retain Nords having a close range advantage but make them more vulnerable on the move. Keeping them on the cav would retain their speciality of skirmish cav and since Nords are not OP on open maps I don't see a reason to remove this.

This would be done in a server side mod similar to the other 2 options.

what u think

I'm fine with pretty much all of these. I'd want to have a look at the more general changes.

One of the main barriers  would be changing admins between tournaments and changing admin mods. The first one may be hard to avoid but we should do our best to get a consistent easy admin mod to use instead of chopping and changing it as we do now. If we get an "official" admin mod to be used for all tournaments this will be a lot easier to implement and a lot less likely to be left behind. The only issue with this is whether we continue with admin by ID. This makes the mod harder to maintain between tournaments. It does add a useful level of protection also though.

hi, id like to see set flag positions for each round in competetive mound and blade: warband. i was thinking to have more tactical and positional gameplay. for example lets say sandi boush, first flag would spawn graveyard, second middle and third in the alley. imo this would make teams set up around the flag and would prompt earlier fights and less static gameplay before flag spawns. maybe it would make teams set up specific strats with specific comps for that specific flag and maybe another team got a counter strat to that or some ****. dunno what people think about it but i think it sounds cool.

blivandefar said:
hi, id like to see set flag positions for each round in competetive mound and blade: warband. i was thinking to have more tactical and positional gameplay. for example lets say sandi boush, first flag would spawn graveyard, second middle and third in the alley. imo this would make teams set up around the flag and would prompt earlier fights and less static gameplay before flag spawns. maybe it would make teams set up specific strats with specific comps for that specific flag and maybe another team got a counter strat to that or some ****. dunno what people think about it but i think it sounds cool.

i'd be up for that yes

I actually agree with first 2 points and bliv's suggestion.

You see... javs... I don't think removing them (from inf) is the right choice. Indeed, nords do have a superior infantry but lack in archers and partially in cavalry, actually, nord cavalry could be the weakest cavalry in the game if they wouldn't have the javs. Anyway, maybe letting cavs to have only 1 or 2 packs of javs could solve the problem with the infantry... this way, on closed maps, during the normal class setup, cavalry would be able to drop only 2 packs (or 4 packs while sacrificing cav's javs). I don't think removing the javs totally would be balanced. If the second team gets javs, they could use that to their advantage and just spam the javs at nords while basically having no danger from the Nord side, not to mention that you can pretty easily jav hit someone through nord shield (legs). - That's mostly a point for Sarranid faction since they can get javs pretty easily.

My main concern is that it may make the Nords significantly weaker on both, closed and open maps. Making them reliant on infantry fights, which they will end up losing because of the supremacy of enemy archers since there will be no ranged threat from the Nord side. It will also mean that nords will have to switch to standard setup of 4 infantries due to lack of firepower. (Nord cavalry is no threat to enemy archers, the shields are horrible and getting headshot or hit through shield is pretty common. Good archer positioning will also make any cavalry useless against archers unless pushed.

Nords are superior even without javelins, removing javelins is a must for balance. Nords have axes and strong shields with the power to decrease the durability of the opponents shields before the fight because of javelins (or just dismount a cavalry quickly). Removing the Javelins from cavalry is essential for balance (or just make them cost a lot), in return the nord cavalry should be able to at least buy a leather jerkin and a lance (they should be able to buy these and a hunter with 1k). I also believe that if you pickup 1 javelin, you'll either A. have one javelin next round or B. You pay for the remaining 4 javelins (seems complicated to do for warband though). Sharing one javelin to your entire team gives you like 20 javelins for free.

Deacon Barry said:
I'm fine with pretty much all of these. I'd want to have a look at the more general changes.

One of the main barriers  would be changing admins between tournaments and changing admin mods. The first one may be hard to avoid but we should do our best to get a consistent easy admin mod to use instead of chopping and changing it as we do now. If we get an "official" admin mod to be used for all tournaments this will be a lot easier to implement and a lot less likely to be left behind. The only issue with this is whether we continue with admin by ID. This makes the mod harder to maintain between tournaments. It does add a useful level of protection also though.

There isn't any support for reading the IDs from a separate text file in the module system?

Would be easy for a server admin to keep a separate file updated, while avoiding the possibility of accidentally screwing up the mod itself.

or keep the game as it is and let matches play out because factions are going to be stronger in certain situations? it's the entire point of having different factions lmao

I think just make the ****ing module instead of conjecturing. Every time someone proposes a competitive module, nothing ever comes of it. Lets just do it, test it out, and make improvements from there

Back
Top Bottom