Users who are viewing this thread

Version number
Branch
Beta
Modded/unmodded
No, I didn't use any mods.

c77

Recruit
It's not balanced or fair for nobles to only die in user-controlled battles (live-action). AI vs AI battles never result in deaths.

From what I heard, the death rate is at 10% which is way too much considering nobles would never be killed back then.........as they are worth more alive than dead . It's been a thing for 2 months now.

Literally every battle I play in, there are 1-4 nobles/companions (and I'm putting Tier 6 armor on my companions) dying. Honestly ruined the game for me. I lost it when Lucon died (faction leader) after constantly seeing nobles die.

Do you have a save file of session that you experienced this issue? With your save file, we can reproduce the issue much easier and faster. You can find your save file here:

C:\Users\username\Documents\Mount and Blade II Bannerlord\Game Saves

You can send your save files to us via upload.taleworlds.com site. Please write your username and this threads URL into the description box so that we can find it easier.
Thanks for reporting and sorry for any inconvenience!

It's not balanced or fair for nobles to only die in user-controlled battles (live-action). AI vs AI battles never result in deaths.

From what I heard, the death rate is at 10% which is way too much considering nobles would never be killed back then.........as they are worth more alive than dead . It's been a thing for 2 months now.

Literally every battle I play in, there are 1-4 nobles/companions (and I'm putting Tier 6 armor on my companions) dying. Honestly ruined the game for me. I lost it when Lucon died (faction leader) after constantly seeing nobles die.
This is being worked on, they plan on reducing it to 2% soon for all situations but they have a bug they are trying to solve, once it is fixed, it will be reduced to 2% for all

This is being worked on, they plan on reducing it to 2% soon for all situations but they have a bug they are trying to solve, once it is fixed, it will be reduced to 2% for all
Yeah I think 2% would be perfect, and only if everyone is affected. Not just human-played battles. Hopefully that comes in soon.

Yeah I think 2% would be perfect, and only if everyone is affected. Not just human-played battles. Hopefully that comes in soon.
Yes will be for all, player run battles, simulations and missions, they just have to nail down a terrible bug it is causing at 2%

if anything they don't die enough...I don't get it. and I doubt about those 10%. now I have to deal with their ****ty brats on top of them.

2% is still high. Think about it for a moment: if an NPC lord wins half of his/her battles against other NPCs, then s/he will die after 100 battles against other NPCs, on average. Given how frequent battles are, no NPC lord who fights battles will live for longer than perhaps ten in-game years.

2% is still high. Think about it for a moment: if an NPC lord wins half of his/her battles against other NPCs, then s/he will die after 100 battles against other NPCs, on average. Given how frequent battles are, no NPC lord who fights battles will live for longer than perhaps ten in-game years.
They should add a surrender mechanic as well for AIs like this one mod has.

if anything they don't die enough...I don't get it. and I doubt about those 10%. now I have to deal with their ****ty brats on top of them.
Dude, have you even played the game or read the post? They only die when you actually play inside the battle (not simulations), which even if you think they don't die enough.......is a severe balance issue.

They should add a surrender mechanic as well for AIs like this one mod has.

Yes; currently, if I'm fighting a lord I don't want dead, I have to carefully pick off his men around him (or her), tell my men to hold fire and stay away, kill the lord's horse, dismount, and then punch my opponent out with my hands. I'm doing this on a regular basis, and it's ridiculous.

Honor is one thing, but it's a little crazy that none of the lords will ever surrender, even when they are facing down a hundred crossbowmen alone. It wasn't a big problem when they were only being wounded when defeated, but now...

And to make matters worse, there's no way to instruct your men to not shoot the lord, the way you easily could if they were real people ("shoot the archers and cavalry first, and don't shoot their commander!"). This makes it more difficult than it should be to keep an enemy lord alive, when you want to avoid killing him/her.

Last edited:
Death rate is not as bad in 1.57 as it was in 1.56. Still, companions dying is extremely frustrating and worth a reload to replay battle. I have done two army vs army fights involving about 11 or 12 lords and only 1 lord died. Can we please get an option to disable battle death while keeping death from aging active.

I m hunting for lords all over the map and their dying rate is absurdly low. and for the companion, they are not so vital. it also allows you to change wives from time to time to get better gears. dying in battle is a great mechanic and if you "played the game" you d know how to protect your men and win without any losses. cutting their head is broken tho, it ruins your relationship with everyone even tho they have been raiding your villages for years it s still somehow dishonorable to get their head off.

I m hunting for lords all over the map and their dying rate is absurdly low. and for the companion, they are not so vital. it also allows you to change wives from time to time to get better gears. dying in battle is a great mechanic and if you "played the game" you d know how to protect your men and win without any losses. cutting their head is broken tho, it ruins your relationship with everyone even tho they have been raiding your villages for years it s still somehow dishonorable to get their head off.

Imagine being this triggered and gloating about "skill" in a SP early access game.

And your defense is an exploit? "oh hey bro just let them die so you can get $500k+ in gear without any work". I purposely give all my companions lvl 6 gear and they still die often. I don't think forcing your companions into archer formation 100% of the time just so they don't die from a ****ing pitchfork is ideal.

A death rate of 10% is too high (even confirmed by the dev mexicco). I don't know if they messed with the death rates in 1.57 from 1.56 but if its at 10%, its a problem.

"hunting for lords"- okay dude, you're so cool. Everybody else sees its a problem but I guess you want to be a hipster. Sorry if regular folks cant compete with Pro-league early access ARPG e-athletes like you

Inappropriate behavior
"Imagine being this triggered and gloating about "skill" in a SP early access game. "
I was quoting you you absolute *bruh*.

Last edited by a moderator:
dying in battle is a great mechanic and if you "played the game" you d know how to protect your men and win without any losses.

I have played Mount & Blade for more than a thousand hours on absolute maximum difficulty; it isn't possible to always protect your companions from danger, if you fight the large battles that are a normal part of late-game play. One can't keep companions safe while commanding troops effectively and also personally chipping away at the enemy, as is often required to win the battle. The only way to keep companions alive in these large, tough battles is to immediately tell them to retreat, so they're effectively non-combatants.

Regardless: whether one enjoys a mechanic or not does not mean one should belittle those who dislike it and who wish for an option to turn it off, particularly when said mechanic is an abrupt, experimental departure from how the game has been for nearly ten years.

I hate that they didnt seperate birth and death, I want the birth, but I dont want the death, I want'em to die of old age etc.(or get their heads chopped of..)

For companions etc I'd advise to put'em into archery to make'em survive most encounters, much less likely to die from my experience.(as in which formation they are in, instead of the default Infantry).

Atleast in Brytenwalda you could tell your companions to "stay back" in dialouges so they didnt engage in the combat, but where "party boosters".

Getting your medical skill helps aswell - read your first companion to hire should be a medic imo.
Even if they arent dedicated "surgeon" in the party, their bonuses seems to help.

Tips for getting your medic skill up abit? dont hire companions, just go about with recruits for awhile, dont bother upgradeing them, fight opponents you know you'll win, but you'll take losses aswell.
Directly you'll get xp from the combat, but also after head into town and heal up.

Overall though, 2% is obscene high for lords tbh.
The number should be 0,2% so its slim to none chance.

Do they really think that lords of that era kept on dieing like flies in combat, vs surrendering then be ransomed?
Generally speaking you'd easily spot the lord on the battlefield - he's the guy surrounded by his own retinue and wears the best gear.

And in the end, there is always the option to savescum though, which can be annoying if its a big big battle.

I stand corrected, i read 10% will stay for now. So Taleworld says deal with it or don't play even though they already got your money, jokes on you. Just like Warband if you really want to enjoy the game look to mods. They plan to create a base vanilla game and let mods make it great. As you can see in this thread, there are multiple people saying different things, 1 it's too high, 2 it's fine, 4 it's not high enough, that right there proves my point in which why can't we have sliders like Civ 6 so you can customize your game to your play style. Everyone is different. But I guess it's easy to just make a vanilla game, get it out there get your money and let others perfect it.
Maybe the developers at Firaxis can teach Taleworld how to customize a game for all instead of throwing a vanilla game out like Warband and let modders to the real work.
Rant over
good night

I have played Mount & Blade for more than a thousand hours on absolute maximum difficulty; it isn't possible to always protect your companions from danger, if you fight the large battles that are a normal part of late-game play. One can't keep companions safe while commanding troops effectively and also personally chipping away at the enemy, as is often required to win the battle. The only way to keep companions alive in these large, tough battles is to immediately tell them to retreat, so they're effectively non-combatants.

Regardless: whether one enjoys a mechanic or not does not mean one should belittle those who dislike it and who wish for an option to turn it off, particularly when said mechanic is an abrupt, experimental departure from how the game has been for nearly ten years.

ok guys, I don't understand you. there IS an option to disable it. it s right in the beginning. now yes, like zorion says, it does put birth and death in the same category, but to avoid demographic explosion, and since they didn't figure out yet how to add death in automatic battles without breaking the game, it has to be high (or it will break your game in the exact other direction, even with 10% death rate I have a hard time getting rid of some families after 18 years and I ve been trying since the beginning).

but saying everyone think the same and spamming that it has to change with a complete arbitrary number while 1) you can disable it, 2) there is plenty of people who welcome this mechanic, 3) what you propose is equivalent of disabling it (granted, without the births). is the worst idea

I am not in favor of reducing arbitrarily that number.

I do think they can separate those functionality and give people who want to test the education system a way to allow birth for their character/character's wife. so no other lord can spam kids, limit the number of lords in a reasonable way.

the slider might be the best idea for both dev and players as it allow to get some actual data on the issue.

ok guys, I don't understand you. there IS an option to disable it.

I don't understand how you don't understand. We're clearly talking about an option to disable it without completely removing aging. We currently cannot disable it without effectively breaking the game (in the form of losing the desired aging feature). I feel like you're feigning that you don't understand this, as a sort of straw-man; I hope I'm wrong about that.

The solution to the extremely long-term demographic explosion is to reduce the insane number of births, not to force death in battle on everyone who wishes to play with aging on. The birth rate is at least double what it ought to be, from both a gameplay perspective (since it's manufacturing the population problem to begin with) and from a historical perspective.

Currently, in-game, there can be two pregnancies per woman per year. That isn't even physically possible in the real world. I'm not sure if twins are also possible in Bannerlord, but even without, most married women in the game end up with around ten children in about as many years, and all of them are guaranteed to survive to adulthood. Hence the projected population problem a hundred game-years down the line.

Now, the solution isn't to force all players who like the aging feature to inadvertently kill off the majority of the named characters (including companions, who don't reproduce like rabbits) over a few decades of warfare, but rather to reduce the over-the-top birth rate. A maximum of one pregnancy per year, and an average of perhaps once every four years (to represent the historically high child mortality rate), would be a good place to start.

Another thing that'd help prevent any long-term overpopulation would be to fix the bug that causes completely unrelated clans to hate you when you execute a given lord. Death in battle being effectively forced on players who don't want it is very much not a necessity for preventing the noble population from rocketing out of control.

even with 10% death rate I have a hard time getting rid of some families after 18 years and I ve been trying since the beginning)

I find this incredible. I'm accidentally wiping out entire families whom I don't wish to destroy. For example, King Dethbert now has zero surviving children after about one year of my faction fighting the Vlandians, and I actively tried to avoid killing them.

On average, when you defeat a particular lord on the field ten times, that noble will die. So if you're having a hard time getting rid of families, you can't be defeating them on the field many times. Or you're having some extreme streaks of luck.

There are currently 23 adult nobles of Khuzait culture left living in my game at the 12-year mark. And only about 5 of those game-years were played after the patch that introduced death-in-battle, so I ~halved the Khuzait gene pool in less than 6 years of war with death-in-battle on. At this rate, all nobles of Kuzait ancestry (including the children who grow up) will be wiped out within twenty or so years of dedicated warfare against them, and that's without even executing any of them.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if twins are also possible in Bannerlord,
yes they are, first one I got were twins. happened once. maybe a bug tho, who knows...

age 43

I ve been chasing mercenaries factions and all I got so far are the lake rat and forest idiots...most of them are not even touched, the karakhergit, I have no idea how many time I beaten them up, but a lot, and nothing. not one death. I have no idea how you do it or if my files are corrupt but there is something wrong here. the number of people a manage to kill is insanely low. I wonder if it s affected by your medicine skill now... if it is, that would explain it. ( I never do auto-resolve)

anyway, this playthrough is pretty much over anyway, I m going to try without any point in medicine.

Back
Top Bottom