Companion wages problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Hired Kalata the Shieldmaiden because I'm roleplaying a Viking. New game, not a lot of money around, not tryna use exploits. Her wage is 26 per day... I have a group of 20 soldiers that all together cost 92, once I hired Kalata my daily gold negative went to -118... Start of the new game...

On top of being expensive with little skills (She is only good at two-handed lol giggity) the game doesn't tell me before I hire her how much her daily wage is.

Do yall see the problem here?

UPDATE: Kalata got wounded to 0% health in the first encounter with looters... Not recommended.

Last edited:
Yeah. If companions don't have anything unique like medicine 120 or some other skill to provide their wages are just to high to be useful.

They are priced like tier 5 troops but it would take a LONG time to get them to perform anywhere near as well as those and you'd need to buy all the equipment they use.

Companions are just too expensive when the Imperial Legionary doesn't take long to make from a recruit and some looters but he has 10k denir armor and good skills making him close to peak companion at drastically less effort.

Yeah. If companions don't have anything unique like medicine 120 or some other skill to provide their wages are just to high to be useful.
The problem with companions that have something like 120 in medicine is that their focus points and/or attributes in the thing they are good at is low. Had a companion with 80 in engineering, only 2 focus points and 2 intelligence.

My main problem is that the game doesn't tell you how much they gonna cost over time. Like yea, they lowered prices of hiring drastically over the last few patches but tbh... I rather pay 2000 one time fee and not have the companion impact my daily gold change than have them cost 500 and add 26 or more to the change.

I agree they definitely need to fit companion attributes and focus to match what they are actually supposed to be good at. When you get a "the scholar" with 120 med he should be putting everything into intelligence and focus in medicine.

Yeah, at the start their wages really matter a lot and they are mostly weak and have no good equiptment...that can be a bit hard in a fresh game.
I just finished a very long game and I can tell you that it gets better though. Its really nice to go through the list at the end of a battle and see your companions having quite some kills...or having them all in a tournament and they all win against their opponents and are (nearly) a real challenge to fight.
I use a mod for attribute points per level though, I guess that also helps a lot with companions :smile:

That's the tricky thing about wages. They are too expensive are the low level and almost free at high levels.

I have conquered almost the whole world of the game before and I know they become practically free but the early game they aren't well balanced. It's easier often just to ignore hiring men and horse kite looters until you hit a certain point partly, because wages are too bad until you reach a certain point and recruits die in mass for more money then they bring in.

I don't know about recruits and what would fit that but if companions want to charge daily the rate should probably be closer to 1 coin per level.

Companions need a lot of work, from base stats and attributes, to cost, to leveling, to how you control them and how effective they are.

They do have their uses like being a surgeon, scout, running additional parties and caravans but yeah....lot of work to do here.

Companion wages, along with the nerf to the 'rescue the daughter' quest, makes it much tougher to get rolling financially at the very start. So, rather than chasing down bandits just to make payroll, you're probably better off doing solo trade runs for a while. It's dumb.

I think they are trying to stop players from recruiting 3-4 companions in the first few days and recruit as and when finances allow...I get that but right now i think companions need loads of work for them to be worth the investment.

Not really sure why they are balancing this right now.

My other problem with companions is... you cannot start a caravan without one...

So while you try to grind out 15k for the caravan at the start of the game, you also have to worry about their outrageous daily wages. You could hire a companion once you got enough money for the caravan but then, I noticed, companions are under-leveled. So you either get them early on or struggle to keep them alive while the level up later on.

I just use the "worst" companion I can get for a caravan because their skills doesn´t matter for this.

Before patch X I used a companion with high steward (if I was able to find one...) then they changed the caravans so that they can only have 30 units.

Also no, workshops are not viable anymore. I had a pottery workshop in a city that has village produce clay and I'm only getting 159 gold after like a month in the game and most of the times other workshops are actually not profitable or very little. For 12k that they cost... they are not worth the money.

I have to disagree on this topic.

Sure 100-200 denars aren´t much, but it´s still safe money. I also think that money isn´t a huge problem in the game, even if the Devs focus on this stuff instead of adding new features...but it´s easier to change some numbers than to do add something.

Also they can add a new line in the patchnotes if they fix some numbers and the fanboys will cheer up. I mean really, look at the latest beta patch, it seems like it is HUGE, but the gameplay doesn´t change :grin:

Workshops are extremely dependent on location and the flow of goods not just in that city but nearby ones. So yes a pottery in a city with clay access sounds good, but one of many other pieces of puzzle. Is that village OK or getting knocked around by raids from bandits or war? Can that pottery then flow to other cities well? What's the overall pottery demand, does half the cities next door also have ones so pottery is over made? pottery is not converted into another common good so is very dependent on demand for any decent price

I also think that money isn´t a huge problem in the game, even if the Devs focus on this stuff instead of adding new features...but it´s easier to change some numbers than to do add something.

Also they can add a new line in the patchnotes if they fix some numbers and the fanboys will cheer up. I mean really, look at the latest beta patch, it seems like it is HUGE, but the gameplay doesn´t change :grin:
My major problem with making money is... I gotta break character most the time to actually get ahead and start being profitable. Yea you can grind out 1000s of looters and maybe earn enough for one caravan or you can become a trader and grind out thousands by trading.

I do think they should focus on implementing features first, so far all the balancing they did just made the game less fun, at least for me.

Edit: And yes you could say I can go a do deliver the sheep quest over and over again but... come on, fetch quests are not fun, to begin with, and having to do them over and over again is just not good game design. I believe there should be more mercenary like quests where NPC pays you good money for destroying a bandit hideout or a large group of bandits. I came across one quest where i got paid 1000 to destroy a hideout and that was quite good but also quite rare.

Also no, workshops are not viable anymore. I had a pottery workshop in a city that has village produce clay and I'm only getting 159 gold after like a month in the game and most of the times other workshops are actually not profitable or very little. For 12k that they cost... they are not worth the money.

A pottery shop in Ocs Hall used to be a good investment. Then they said that pottery shops made too much money. Post nerf they perform terribly no matter where you put them.

Workshops are not "safe money" either. If you belong to a kingdom and a town changes hands you can kiss your workshop goodbye.

Back
Top Bottom