Companion revision 3 - retinue system.

Users who are viewing this thread

After abusing the brainpower of my brain, I think I'll go along the line like this:
5 lord like NPCs for each of the previously mentioned regions/cultures. You can recruit them as a lord and promote them to lords.
5 commoner like NPCs for each of the previously mentioned regions/cultures.  You can recruit them as a lord but can NOT promote them to lords. I'm hoping that later on they will be recruited with in other means as well. I have a few ideas, that I need to consider.

So 10 companions for each of you peasants. Not so bad, eh? Perhaps more if you can conquer other regions and recruit local lords from there as well.

DrTomas said:
After abusing the brainpower of my brain, I think I'll go along the line like this:
5 lord like NPCs for each of the previously mentioned regions/cultures. You can recruit them as a lord and promote them to lords.
5 commoner like NPCs for each of the previously mentioned regions/cultures.  You can recruit them as a lord but can NOT promote them to lords. I'm hoping that later on they will be recruited with in other means as well. I have a few ideas, that I need to consider.

So 10 companions for each of you peasants. Not so bad, eh? Perhaps more if you can conquer other regions and recruit local lords from there as well.

Thumbs up!

Sounds very good!

I Just have 2 questions - will you be able to send them out in order to gain renown and/or send them out to improve relationship with a certain region (dialogue option "Do you have any connections you could use to our advantage" or something)? Not that I've used either of these options anyway, no need for it, I just ask out of curiousity.

Orchid said:
^ Indeed, what he said.

And is there any formula by which you'll be able to  obtain extra companions as you gain extra provinces?
pseudo code:
Code:
If (!punyCrushedCultures.Contains(newlyConqueredFief.culture)
    foreach (NPC npc in NPC)
    {
        if (npc.culture == newlyConqueredFief.culture)
            System.Warband.World.Campaign.Map.Party[0].Add(npc);
    }

Lordique said:
Nice idea nicely debated, aye!

When can we try this system, eh :?: :twisted:
Sorry. Things are moving kinda slow over my side. I'm not sure when I get the time to do it now. :neutral:

I like this system! I do think that we can do a lot more though! Maybe if the player has enough renown, NPCs can begin to approach the player to ask to fight under them? After all, Little John came seeking Robin Hood when he heard of him didn't he?
Also, (and I'm thinking around the lines of Total War games here) the player could get followers who don't necessarily participate in battles but act as skill modifiers? i.e. a Shield-bearer who increases your Shield skill or an Architect who reduces building costs and increases your Engineering skill.
Maybe there could be a trait system as well. For example, if your player owns X number of enterprises they can gain a "Trader" trait that gives them a bonus to the trade skill and Charisma. Or, if your player has been through quite a few battles and taken some hits (as we all do) he or she could gain the trait "Scarred" which gives them a Charisma and Strength bonus and maybe some skills could get a bonus too. There could be bad traits too (or we could call them character flaws) like... idk... Paranoid, which reduces your relation with NPCs by 3 points or even perhaps things like diseases which affect performance, for example Epilepsy or Polio which could affect Agility and Strength negatively?

You should. Now my current ideas is to have more non-noble companions(Those who you can't promote to lords) and less noble companions(Those that you can promote to lords).

Some of the non noble you should get from the very beginning(i'm thinking of redoing the character creation somewhat). The rest you get when you become a lord

Hi guys, great stuff as always. I always enjoy reading people's suggestions.

I would welcome the idea of having more companions as you gain renown. Maybe just having them show up at your castle.

But, has anyone thought of the idea of not only having close friends as your companions, but also maybe some of your own kin.

Such as your brothers, or your cousins and even some of your sons who have come of age. Perhaps even the sons of your other companions.

As indeed this kind of kinship would create more reason for the whole group of companions to be so close in the first place. Blood is thicker than water and all that.

Also, one other thing.

Maybe if you have certain soldiers in your army they might after time become familiar to you, even well known.

Eventually becoming available as a close companion. Meaning that should the player manage to keep his armies alive for extended periods of time, he might be lucky enough to recruit a better trained companion.

P.S. I also agree that ~ 30 companions is too many.

I'm sure some things are easier to code for than others, but would it be difficult to code for an extra layer of choices attached to companion character creation?

Maybe just leaving it to the player to specify if the companion is a relation of the main character.

Or at the very least to be able to change their name so that even if the game dynamics dont see the companion as a relative, the player could at least name the companion, and thereby 'pretend' that they are.

Just a thought. It might add a little to the immersion factor of the game.

Anyway, thanks.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I was thinking something about having relatives in the mod, but probably not anytime soon.

However, I got some free time and things finaly started to get moving with the new companion system. Huzzah!

Anyone would be willing to help me out with companion stats? It's preaty simple, but somewhat time consuming and I rather focus on other aspects of the mod. :smile:

DrTomas said:
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I was thinking something about having relatives in the mod, but probably not anytime soon.

However, I got some free time and things finaly started to get moving with the new companion system. Huzzah!

Anyone would be willing to help me out with companion stats? It's preaty simple, but somewhat time consuming and I rather focus on other aspects of the mod. :smile:

ive got some time to do it, at least i can give it a shot.

just tell me what to do...

There was some complications, so I reverted back to the original plan.
5 cultures. 6 companions per each. In the future I might change a few things in all this and expand the companion more.

I saw that you just released the new system,thanks :grin:

So far no bugs with the companion system it's working great, i have a small question
though.
How can you know which companion does what exactly?I mean that they all have names
and so far i have recruited a knight and an engineer.But i didn't know it until i took them in my party and looked
at their stats.

PS: I don't know what happened but now the nights are much more clear, you can actually see something.
And something else when you speak to the tavern keeper it gives you the option of
sending messangers to recruit companions.Speciffically alexios the greek was an option.
What will happen if i select to send a messanger?

DrTomas said:
There was some complications, so I reverted back to the original plan.
5 cultures. 6 companions per each. In the future I might change a few things in all this and expand the companion more.
What will be if I collect companions from one culture, then leave the king and join to another culture? Will the companions desert? Will I be able to get another?

PS: I don't know what happened but now the nights are much more clear, you can actually see something.
And something else when you speak to the tavern keeper it gives you the option of
sending messangers to recruit companions.Speciffically alexios the greek was an option.
What will happen if i select to send a messanger?

I tried to sen a message to alexander-correction from above^,i waited two days
and the message was delivered.Then the green message appeared saying alexios had arrived.
I went in the tavern except alexander wasn't there, or maybe he was discuissed as a beligerent drunk :smile:
Any way i saw that in the companion names in the camp menu a lot of names appear which aren't the known
ones.
After that the "wait here for a while" option that you have in castles and towns dissapeared.
Thought i mention it :grin:

Back
Top Bottom