Companion limit

Users who are viewing this thread

saxondragon

Sergeant Knight at Arms
Hello Folks,

Does anyone have the off hand knowledge of when we talk about a limit of 20 companions, does this mean:

A- There cannot be more than 20 defined companions type troops in the game?
or
2- There cannot be more than 20 defined companion type troops in the players party?

Thank you for the answer in advence, much appreicate your insight.

Kindest regards,

Saxondragon

The limit to companions in the party is 32, the same as the limit to troop types in the party. You can have many more companions in the game. (This makes companion death easier to deal with if you include it.)

I don't know about for Warband.

mfberg

mfberg said:
The limit to companions in the party is 32, the same as the limit to troop types in the party. You can have many more companions in the game. (This makes companion death easier to deal with if you include it.)

I don't know about for Warband.

mfberg

hmm... I am a bit confused, so bear with me.  I have some plans to include an additional 6 companions to Prophesy of Pendor, from 20 to 26.  One of my experienced mod collaborators asked me how I had managed to get around the hard coded 20 limit on companions.  (which I have not done as he was referencing a plan, not something that had already been implemented).

This confused me as to my knowledge there was no limit..at least that I could see in the code base.  I have not tested this personally, but have seen several oblique references to this "limit" in other posts.

So.. we have another options "C"..which is "There is no limit". 

Best regards,

Saxondragon

AFAIK, party's slot limit is 32, so we can use up to 32 companions. 20 may be the max number some features of the mod have that deal with companions, like max number of companions so a presentation that display the companion's stats works perfectly.

dunde said:
AFAIK, party's slot limit is 32, so we can use up to 32 companions. 20 may be the max number some features of the mod have that deal with companions, like max number of companions so a presentation that display the companion's stats works perfectly.

I appreciate the reply dunde, thank you.

We still have not answered the underlying question...

What are the limitations for more than 20 companions? What fails or does not work as intended?  Does anyone know?

Thank you...

Saxondragon

Conquest has 22 companions which is notable in being greater than 20.  I don't remember there being any outstanding bugs with companions minus the handful of strings I never filled in for rehiring and whatnot. 

I do not believe there's a hardcoded (engine-side) limit for the number of companions that you can have in the game.  There are softcoded (script-side) limitations scattered around that you'll have to resolve.  The biggest of these (IIRC) is where it sets the companion responses in slots and where it handles companions being unhappy.  It's been a while since I thought about this stuff so YMMV.

kt0 said:
Conquest has 22 companions which is notable in being greater than 20.  I don't remember there being any outstanding bugs with companions minus the handful of strings I never filled in for rehiring and whatnot. 

I do not believe there's a hardcoded (engine-side) limit for the number of companions that you can have in the game.  There are softcoded (script-side) limitations scattered around that you'll have to resolve.  The biggest of these (IIRC) is where it sets the companion responses in slots and where it handles companions being unhappy.  It's been a while since I thought about this stuff so YMMV.

It has been a while since I posted here, and remember fondly some of the exchanges we have had.  Thank you.  Code side issues are easily resolved, and it is good to hear that you have not encountered a hard limit.  I will proceed then with the implementation of full 26 companions andand if I encounter something odd, I will post on this thread the issue and any workaround I implement.

Thanks Kt0, as always your contributions and insight are extremely valued.

best,

Saxondragon

i don't really see a hardcoded problem since i manage to create 29 companions in my test mod. The only thing that could happen is if you run out of banners that's when really problems start to occur. Also dialog could be messed up if your not careful.

I once had 30 companions maximum, that is in my test mod, yet I found this line in module.ini: base_companion_limit = 20, maybe it means something, I dont know.

i am not sure, what the base does, but calradian at war has the most companion i have ever seen he must have added more then 100 from what i can see. So no hardcoded.

Back
Top Bottom