Companion like and dislike [spoiler]

Users who are viewing this thread

Noctis Lux said:
I think we may lose something by disable companions interactions. Perhaps can we improve this system by making those characters relations more visible, or logical ? There are some ideas :

- Those who are from the same "nationality" may not dislike one of the same origin and would mostly hate one of the "historical" enemies of his land. With this we could simply pick some companions of a same land and not worry about their relations.
- In order not to simply chose a faction and to save diversity, make one companion liking his opposite in an enemy faction (for example a serious Briton noble liking a happy Saxon thief).
- concerning foreigners, they should dislike other foreigners, I think they should be something like bonuses to complete your britanniæ party leading a britanniæ army.

I hope it's understandable.

I like your points, but I still think it should be an option to disable companion complaints. I mean... I can't see why warriors would leave a warband if they are being paid well and aren't getting their asses handed to them every few days. Yet they leave because of a catfight with another companion, one person in a hundred man army. There are 99 other people to interact with!!!!!

Uhtred Ragnarson said:
Noctis Lux said:
I think we may lose something by disable companions interactions. Perhaps can we improve this system by making those characters relations more visible, or logical ? There are some ideas :

- Those who are from the same "nationality" may not dislike one of the same origin and would mostly hate one of the "historical" enemies of his land. With this we could simply pick some companions of a same land and not worry about their relations.
- In order not to simply chose a faction and to save diversity, make one companion liking his opposite in an enemy faction (for example a serious Briton noble liking a happy Saxon thief).
- concerning foreigners, they should dislike other foreigners, I think they should be something like bonuses to complete your britanniæ party leading a britanniæ army.

I hope it's understandable.

I like your points, but I still think it should be an option to disable companion complaints. I mean... I can't see why warriors would leave a warband if they are being paid well and aren't getting their asses handed to them every few days. Yet they leave because of a catfight with another companion, one person in a hundred man army. There are 99 other people to interact with!!!!!
That and you would expect that after fighting side by side for months it would simmer down after they learn to trust each other to watch their back.  Companion interactions are too much black/white at the moment.  Even if I buy every type of food available, win battles and tournaments constantly, and so on their morale will still drop to 0 and they'll interrupt me every other day to say they are leaving.

Uhtred Ragnarson said:
we really need the option to disable companion complaints.

OR, which is imho better, they tell you when you ask them to join who they hate: "My lord, I will serve you well, but I tell you, having a faithful christian like me and that pagan XY in the same shieldwall will have dire consequenses".

(1866 western mod is similar. I you are a mexican, and want to hire an american gunslinger he says "no hablo espanol, now buzz off" or something along these lines)

Hmm. Maybe a script could be attached to the companions to check the companions currently in your party. The highest leveled companion can act as an adviser and remark something like 'Sir, it might not be a very good idea to have person X in our band as, without a doubt, they will have issues with person Y.'

Kind of like when one of your troops - or companions - asks you what should be done with the town/castle you've just conquered. (When you're king.)

xyp said:
Hi all,

Here you can find Brytenwalda's companions comparison, with all their likes and dislikes, based solely on game files, so I believe everything's 100% true.
I spent two very long evenings learning how files work and how to find interesting data in long strings of numbers but I hope it's worth it, mainly because Brytenwalda is worth understaning it.

This is the full version of comparison, based on initialize_npcs part of scripts.txt:

ndoq5l.gif

I haven't found what do the numbers in "kingsupport_argument" mean. Morality value - probably the higher, the more NPC will attach importance to his moral standards (dependent on morality type). The rest should be quite understandable.

Here's a shortened version of the comparison in alphabetical order of NPCs names:

15gpnw6.gif

and here you can download the full XLS (Excel) file (so for example you can sort the data in the way you want):
http://www.mediafire.com/?gqd3v1jqxpi8lsv
(the file has 3 sheets with the two tables from above and some source data)

I haven't ascribed every dislike to each NPC as others earlier did, because one NPC can only dislike two other NPCs and even if there's more than two companions which don't like him (Eadfrith Cearling) it IS important if two NPCs dislike each other or if just one dislikes another, so you have to check each companion's dislikes.

Talking of Eadfrith, I think the fact that his so unpopular is connected with Inka's popularity - 4 NPCs like her, but I think it makes the hole thing more realistic and fun (also the fact that Eadfrith dislikes Matui but Matui likes Eadfrith...).

I hope it will help some of you to have more fun from the game, rather than get irritated by companions, which always have some problems, though you know you need them but you don't want to spend another hours just finding out who should you choose, especially that it's not easy to find every existing companion in such a big world of Brytenwalda.
I also hope authors of that great mod (the best I've played so far) will understand my motives and let this post lie here :smile:

Wow, impresive work. Thanks.

hey guys,

I need your help!  :sad:

I am King atm and want the other factions zu accept my "right to rule" but they dont.. is it because i send the wrong companions to them, or why?

I send Orosio (10 persuade skill) who is benevolent and noble. Ok.
Than i also use Ultan (10 also) and is cunning (so inteligent) and noble.
Why dont it work? Who is better of them? Is there a ultra Diplomat out there?

My right to rule is already like 80 <
And i have renown 1400 + honor 118.
My faction is a lot more powerful than the one i want the "right to rule" and on top of that they have war against 3 other..

So whyyyyy?  :cry:

Ps: its not only the "right to rule" but also Diplomatic treaties, like making someone ally with me or trading treaty.. they just dont accept anything just "normal" peace after war or ending war ,that works. But i want to make them my ally or tade with them.

Something which, i think, can be improved. Or if it's not, what a pity !

I think that M&B (and Brytenwalda, too) lack of interactions between NPC.

If it's a real RPG, i think it's normal to NPC to speak to each other, and not only to you.

For example, Baldur's gate became very famous not only it was a very good game, but also because there were great dialogs.
what could make Brytenwalda even greater would be to add this part. I don't know if the game allows it, but it would be great.
Of course, it's thousands of line to write, as there are many many characters, but it would be very fun and would diversify the game ...And perhaps some epic quests that you can only get if you have reached a level of confidence with one of your NPC, and some written romance.

This would help to make NPC more unique, too. For now, they are only stats and likes/dislikes.

Uhtred Ragnarson said:
Ogaburan said:
Will 1.34 have new companions?

Yes!

:shock:  yea?! coool...
one nubian guy called Sagramor?  :grin:  just jokin...
will they have different body sizes? like will you be able to have a companion like Steapa?!  :eek:
damn i´m lookin forward like hell to it...

warlord chronicles for the world!!!!!!!!!!!  i always have a good laugh with the settlement names being so similar

I don't want to see spoilers. I get to know my compagnons, what fun is a compagnon if they dont have a story/personality.

I take almost everyone I can find at first. I write down their role: inf/archer and proffession: healer/scout/trainer etc.

That gives me some insight who are important. Then when they start jibberjabbing I can make easier choices as to whose site to choose.

* I couldnt understand though that Caewlin (a saxon!) had problems with pillaging villages

xyp said:
Hi all,

Here you can find Brytenwalda's companions comparison, with all their likes and dislikes, based solely on game files, so I believe everything's 100% true.
I spent two very long evenings learning how files work and how to find interesting data in long strings of numbers but I hope it's worth it, mainly because Brytenwalda is worth understaning it.

xyp, I think you have done a magnificent job. Kudos - much appreciated! Straight from the files, 100% sure information about likes and dislikes. I do hope you will update this once 1.34 is released.

I used the info you extracted to find out the largest stable (ie. the members either have no dislikes or have at most one dislike that is then partly compensated by having also like for the same member) NPC parties in Brytenwalda 1.332 (I used a program I wrote for WFAS):

Party 1: Agasicles, Athrwys ap Gwawrddur, Ceawlin, Connor mac Odhrain, Eadfrith Cearling, Eadwin, Eithne, Frioc, Gwenllian, Inka, Liuva, Lothar, Matui Turthail, Onuist, Osmund, Siwi.

Party 2: Agasicles, Athrwys ap Gwawrddur, Ceawlin, Connor mac Odhrain, Eadfrith Cearling, Eithne, Frioc, Gwenllian, Inka, Liuva, Lothar Matui Turthail, Mihael Ap Cadwalladr, Onuist, Osmund, Siwi.

Therefore, In essence there exists one 16 member stable party in 1.332 but you can choose between Eadwin and Mihael Ap Cadwalladr.

Hengwulf said:
I don't want to see spoilers.

Fortunately this whole thread is marked with
so everyone can protect themselves from companion information simply by steering clear of this thread. For those of us who like to be able to plan for these things beforehand this has been a goldmine, especially xyp's work.

Lohi-soturi said:
Hengwulf said:
I don't want to see spoilers.

Fortunately this whole thread is marked with
so everyone can protect themselves from companion information simply by steering clear of this thread. For those of us who like to be able to plan for these things beforehand this has been a goldmine, especially xyp's work.
Yeah , I meant I like to find out myself. Though I never steer clear of a thread :razz:

I used the info you extracted to find out the largest stable (ie. the members either have no dislikes or have at most one dislike that is then partly compensated by having also like for the same member) NPC parties in Brytenwalda 1.332 (I used a program I wrote for WFAS):

Interesting, both these parties include Eadfrith (who I thought everyone hated and/or hated everyone).

Uhtred Ragnarson said:
Thorgil said:
Uhtred Ragnarson said:
Ogaburan said:

Yes!

will they have different body sizes? like will you be able to have a companion like Steapa?!  :eek:

I love you Thorgil.  :lol:
bromance activated.

covering your left side...  :cool:

Thorgil said:
Uhtred Ragnarson said:
Thorgil said:
Uhtred Ragnarson said:
Ogaburan said:

Yes!

I love you Thorgil.  :lol:
bromance activated.

covering your left side...  :cool:

hopefully my right!  :lol:

DennisBergkamp said:
Interesting, both these parties include Eadfrith (who I thought everyone hated and/or hated everyone).

Eadfrith indeed has a lot of baggage, being disliked by 4 members and himself dislikes 2, totalling 5 different persons (i.e. one dislike is mutual).

If one accepts members having at most one dislike that is compensated by a like (my definition of stable) then one can use the popular persons with small social baggage to offset this.

In Eadfrith's case the key is Inka (who has a mutual like with Eadfrith) for Inka opens up many possibilities for a very small baggage: Inka is disliked by no-one and dislikes 2, is liked by 4 members and likes 1 (totalling 4 different persons).

Of course, if one requires a stricly stable party (i.e. not even compensated dislikes allowed) then Eadfrith is not to be found in any of the 20 different variations of 12 member strictly stable parties in 1.332 ( I didn't post them here since it's a pain to post tables in the forum, and besides, all this info will be obsolete once 1.34 is released with the new npcs...) whereas Inka is featured in 16 out of the 20 maximal 12 member strictly stable parties.

Cheers,
LS

Back
Top Bottom