***Community Feedback ROADMAP - What Taleworlds still needs to fix!***

Does this roadmap represent your basic wants for Bannerlord?

• Yes

Votes: 387 86.6%
  • No

Votes: 60 13.4%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

This is a collection of feedback from the community, to track Bannerlord's progress on meeting community expectations.
Taleworlds said they want to "bring the game to the level the community expects". Here, those expectations can easily be seen. This list only contains things which Taleworlds somehow led buyers to believe the game would have.

Added content or fixed issues are marked in green.
Issues/content which Taleworlds has confirmed will be worked on are marked yellow.
Deconfirmed features are in grey.

CATEGORY 1: Fixing and balancing existing features to improve gameplay.
This is a list of significant issues, not including minor bugs. TW is aware of some of these issues, but they are listed for the sake of tracking progress.

Overworld
Voting: Most votes can't be changed, even with 150 Influence and 100 Relations. Traits and Relation should affect the AI's vote choice more. The player should always be an option in a fief/leader vote. The AI should not repeatedly call the same vote in a short time.
* War/Peace: The AI constantly declares war on the player faction with not enough breaks for peace. AI kingdoms should not demand tribute if they are losing badly. AI kingdoms should offer peace to the player (Added 1.6.1).
* Nobles and garrisons never surrender and rarely negotiate. The player should have a reason to surrender.
* Siege artillery should spawn in reserve. The AI should only deploy artillery when they have enough.
* Khuzait culture bonus is weak and almost unnoticeable.
* The player needs better ways to increase a settlement's Loyalty.
* Minor factions: Their unique troops don't get used enough. Criminal minor factions don't do crimes. Mercenary minor factions don't have T5 units. Beni Zilal have no backstory (added 1.7.2).
* AI Kingdoms with no fiefs left raid the player forever. They need to be removed from the game after 30 days of holding no territory.
* Autoresolve Battles: High tier troops die in simulations when they shouldn't. AI nobles don't die in simulated battles (Fixed 1.6.3).
* The reward for raiding is not worth the penalties and time (Fixed r1.1.0).
* Strategic AI: AI parties should commit to actions more instead of bouncing between targets (fixed 1.8.) Parties should enter friendly towns/castles when fleeing (fixed in 1.5.9).
* Caravans die too easily, and their profits are too low (Fixed in 1.8.)
* Castles need to be more useful (Added exclusive recruits to castle villages in 1.5.10).
* Imprisoning nobles is unviable as they escape too easily (fixed 1.5.9).
* Player can't control allied parties (Fixed in 1.5.10 with stance and wage options for allied parties).

Roleplaying
NPC Relations: Good relations with nobles has no useful benefits. It should make them much more likely to join your faction. Members of your clan should have good relations with you, instead of 0.
* Skill Gains: Tactics and Engineering level too slowly. Skills level way too slow (Fixed 1.5.10). Leadership, Trade and Roguery are too hard to level (Fixed 1.8.) Charm tree is underpowered (Fixed 1.7.0). Ability to respec perks (Added in 1.8.)
* Skill Effects: Engineering should make siege camps build faster. "Loyalty and Honor" perk should only apply to T4+ troops. Tactics skill should benefit the player in real battles more.
* Companions: Companions/clan members take too long to learn skills. Not enough companions spawn (Fixed r1.1.0).
* Personality Traits: Most traits are far too slow for the player to gain. Traits have no noticeable effect on the AI's behaviour. Executing people doesn't give you the Cruel trait.
* Marriage: NPCs often marry characters that are on the other side of the world from them or are too old to have children.
* Some armor pieces have wrong stats or civilian rating. (17 items fixed in 1.6.2-1.8.)
* Quests: Some quests do not trigger (Fixed? 1.6.1). The mid game lacks quests (improved in 1.6-1.6.1 with "Conquest of City", "Noble Revolt" and "Revenue Farming").
* Dialogue: Many lines of text have grammar/spelling/consistency issues (fixed in 1.8.) Tavern keepers have no dialogue (Fixed 1.7.2). Player should be able to talk to prisoners (Added 1.7.2). Dialogue should reflect recent events (Added 1.8.)
* Smithing: 2H maces lack parts (Fixed 1.8.) Smithing is repetitive (1.6 Orders mode adds variety). Items sell for ridiculously high prices (Fixed 1.7.0).
* Trade: Camels aren't purchasable (Added 1.8.) Some weapons and armor are worth far too much money (Fixed 1.7.0).
* Tournaments: Need better rewards to make them more worth it in mid-game. (Fixed 1.6.5).
* Upgrading a unit should use the cheapest horse the player has, not the most expensive (Fixed 1.6.3).

Battles
* Singleplayer Armour: Arrows/bolts do too much damage to armour, which is unrealistic, makes archers/horse archers very overpowered, and leads to shallow tactics. Armour gives poor protection against melee weapons, which makes battles end too quickly, and expensive armour pointless (Fixed 1.8.)
* Combat AI: Archers cannot hit circling horse archers. Spearmen do not use their spear when fighting infantry. Cavalry rarely couch their lances (Fixed in 1.9). Cavalry will ride off the map to gain charging distance on enemies (Fixed 1.5.10). Troops sometimes ignore close threats to reach their destination (Fixed 1.6.4) or focus on enemies who are too far away (Fixed 1.5.10). Ranged unit AI will not target cavalry at long range (Fixed 1.5.9).
* Singleplayer Weapons: Spears are too slow and weak. Glaives do too much damage. Shields have too much health. Throwing axes are weak. Throwing axes should do more shield damage (Added 1.8.) Pike bracing does not work in Singleplayer (Added 1.6.2).
* Morale is mostly irrelevant, and doesn't let you turn the tide of battle, the way devblogs said it would. Low tier troops can easily get perfect morale (fixed 1.5.9). Visible formation morale (added 1.7.0).
* Troop Trees: Too few troops use braced polearms. Troop trees are not different enough from each other. Tavern mercenaries are very weak (Fixed? 1.9).
* The ability to order troops to attack a specific enemy formation is needed to make battlefield tactics less frustrating to execute.
* Sieges: Siege ladders should be less powerful for attackers. Troops use siege towers and siege ladders very inefficiently (Fixed 1.7.0), and attack castle gates one at a time (Fixed 1.6.1). Artillery often hits allies when aiming at enemies (Fixed 1.5.10 and 1.6.1). Rams block troops (Fixed 1.5.9).
* Assigning hero troops or filtering by high/low tier in Order of Battle system needed (Added r1.1.0).
* Due to collision zones, crowds of units jitter rapidly, and can attack through each other. (Fixed 1.9).
* Retreating from a siege has no penalty and can be exploited (Fixed 1.9).
* Singleplayer Mounted Combat: Horses charging into infantry don't cause enough knockdown (Fixed 1.8.)
* Reinforcements teleporting into the middle of a starting location severely disadvantages whichever side moves forward to attack (Fixed 1.8.)
* Prison Breaks: Need ability to tell prisoner to wait (Added 1.6.1).
* AI nobles/companions die in non-simulated battles too often (Fixed 1.6.3).

Visual/UI/Sound
Balding haircut options, which were in Warband.
* Generated NPC children are clones who look exactly the same.
* Empire nobles wear worse helmets than their troops. Multiple armor pieces are not used by troops (Fixed r1.1.0).
* Music: Unique regional songs rarely play when travelling in the relevant territory (except for Aserai's song). Siege music lacks variety.
* Rain weather effects for scenes are built into the game, but currently do not occur.
* Scenes: Some castle scenes and 66 field battle scenes are still unimplemented. (Many added in 1.5.9 to r1.0.2.) Unique town scenes (Completed 1.5.9-r1.0.2).
* Battle Ambient Sound System and Quad Ambiences improvements to sound system.
* NPC conversation animations glitch when they loop. (Fixed? r1.0.2)
* Vlandian culture lacks shoulder armor models (Fixed 1.8.) Aserai culture lacks armor models (Fixed 1.6.2-1.8.)
* Frequent sound for relation gain is annoying (Fixed in 1.6.3 by reducing frequency of emissary relation gain).
* Helmets are the incorrect size for characters' heads (Fixed 1.9).
* NPCs do not blink in quick talk screen (Fixed 1.7.2).
* Rulers of a faction should look like rulers (great crown models added in 1.5.10 - r1.1.0).
* Upgrading large quantities of troops in the UI is irritating. (Fixed 1.6).
* Greeting/main quest voiceovers. (Added 2.0 official release).

Engine/Multiplayer/Technical
Multiplayer servers are unstable and players complain they crash often.
* Official multiplayer servers for South American players.
* Replay system for Multiplayer.
* General bug/crash fixing. (Ongoing in every patch - TW tracks bugs in this thread)
* Improved voice chat for Multiplayer.
* Mod tools and their documentation need to be completed (improved in 1.6.1 - r1.1.0) and the modding community have requested the code to be more easily accessible (done in 1.6 - 1.6.5).
* Steam Workshop support for modding (Added 1.9)
* Custom servers for Multiplayer (Added in 1.8.1.)
* Bad performance needs fixing/optimising (Mostly fixed since 1.6 onward, most PC users now report decent performance.)
* Single-life "Battle" mode for Multiplayer (Added 1.7.2).
* Various mechanics in the game are poorly explained, and could receive more information in the Encyclopedia. (Added 1.7.2).
* Ranked matchmaking system for Multiplayer (Added 1.7.2).
* Aesthetic customization system for Multiplayer (Added 1.6.2).
* Choosing which troops are used in Custom Battle (Added in 1.6).

CATEGORY 2: Adding features that were in previous M&B games, or mentioned in dev blogs.
By using the Mount & Blade name to sell Bannerlord, Taleworlds created an expectation it would have what people liked from M&B Warband. TW also hyped up buyers by talking about new features in the developer blogs. So they should deliver on those expectations.

Overworld
Kingdom Court: In Warband, your kingdom had a Court where nobles would visit and offer to join you.
* Minor Faction bases: Shown in the 2016 demo. A place for minor factions to recruit their troops and the player to hire them.
* Manhunters: Neutral bounty hunters with special troops, who spawned to fight bandits when there were too many. Demo
* Civil Wars: A claimant recruits you and other nobles in a war to try and take control of a kingdom they claim to be the rightful ruler of.
* Ability to promote companions to nobles as a faction ruler. (Added in 1.6.4)
* Choosing to accept a ransom offer for a noble, or keep them prisoner (Added in 1.5.10)
* Reasons for support for war or peace (Added in 1.6.1)
* Suggesting to allied nobles to attack/defend a specific location without you. A similar feature, ordering allies to act defensively or offensively, was added in 1.5.10.

Roleplaying
Feasts in Peacetime: Warband let nobles and the player hold feasts, which added roleplaying options, made it convenient to talk to lots of nobles in one location, and increased immersion.
* Skill Training: You could pay money to get experience in a skill faster in Warband.
* Criminal Enterprises: Taking over an alley from a gang to create your own profitable criminal operation (Added in r1.1.0).
* The ability to retire the main character (Added in r1.1.0).
* Cutscenes: Animations for important events (Added in 1.8.)
* Sandbox Mode: Option to skip the main quest and choose your own starting situation (Added in 1.5.9)
* Ironman Mode: Option to play a save where you cannot quit without saving (Added in 1.6)
* Companions with story interactions and unique persistent personalities, appearances and stats.

Battles
* Surprise Encounters: Warband had surprise attacks by drunks, bandits, and even assassins, in towns at night.
* Noble Duels: You could insult a noble to challenge them to a one-on-one Duel.
* Escape Fight: Fighting your way out in civilian gear after failing to sneak into a town.
* Banners borne by troops in combat as shown in the 2017 trailer. (Added in 1.9.0)
* Order of Battle: Choosing where and how to position your troop formations before a field battle. (Added in 1.7.0)
* The ability to break imprisoned nobles out of a dungeon and battle your way out. (Added in 1.5.9)
* Fighting defenders in the keep after winning the wall fight of a castle siege. (Added in 1.6.1)
* Tax Collection quest where you must gather taxes (Added in 1.6.1) and fight the citizens if they resist.

@armagan @Dejan @MArdA TaleWorlds @elysebluemoon @Singil @uçanbiblo @SadShogun @Duh_TaleWorlds @lottendill @Callum
The community likes and appreciates much about the game, but these problems cause frustration and prevent it from reaching its potential. If this list can get mostly completed, Bannerlord will be a truly good sequel to Warband, and you'll please the vast majority of your buyers.
Kinda except u gotta take into consideration that this isn’t the round table I mean it basically feudalism not really any true courts.also it does indeed it aligns with my ideas I just want playable bandit camps and back ally ways more crime for immersion and more immersion period.mount and blade should be like a table top rpg for pc and console like DND pretty much in my opinion and is capable of it if they put that extra hard work into it and I guess imperial would have a court meanwhile the rest would be more tribal except the Aserai who r more like early form of capitalism

* The player needs better ways to increase a settlement's Loyalty.

There's one other thing - the AI should make an attempt to increase a settlement's loyalty as well when they expand. This is especially if they capture settlements of a different culture.

A cool feature might be "covert" missions to try to lower another settlement's loyalty the player's kingdom is at war with. Alternatively, it might be possible to add some sort of "scheme" (think something like what CK3 has) to try to do this. The AI should also try to use these features if they are added.

Did not update list to include changes that are relevant to this list in 1.1.1 and 1.1.2:

* Bug and crash fixes

Shortened list significantly by putting all completed items in a spoiler. Should make it easier to read what the remaining big problems with Bannerlord are.

I really would like to see the relationships work and have effect. Make friends and enemies and so consequence's due to this. I am using mods to do this but i would like to see the fixed in this area too.

Thanks once more for your post and effort.
No worries. Thank you for the kind words.
I really would like to see the relationships work and have effect. Make friends and enemies and so consequence's due to this. I am using mods to do this but i would like to see the fixed in this area too.
I was lowkey addicted to making lords' relationship bars go up in Warband. It's a shame that it's almost completely pointless in vanilla Bannerlord.

Such a basic and crucial mechanic that many game systems are built around doesn't do anything. And Taleworlds could fix it with just a handful of number changes.

No worries. Thank you for the kind words.

I was lowkey addicted to making lords' relationship bars go up in Warband. It's a shame that it's almost completely pointless in vanilla Bannerlord.

Such a basic and crucial mechanic that many game systems are built around doesn't do anything. And Taleworlds could fix it with just a handful of number changes.
That's because in Warband was both helpful and immersive. The game rewarded your effort into making that friendship, when I needed to raid a castle, I didn't use my "influence income", a nonsensical feature, I used the actual influence I had over the NPCs that I won by helping them, freeing them from prison, and conspiring against others, so when I say "Hey Lakhem, I need help taking this castle" I know he'll follow me because I WON being followed, then if another friend of mine is about to take a castle, but he's taking too long, I can pressure them into attacking. In Bannerlord all of these possibities just got cut, kill some bandits or a ****ty mercenary group, there get some influence and bam you can build an army with 5 people doesn't matter if you're an unknown worm. The other options of conspiring or the detail that Lords told you specifically that you could pay a visit to their daughters/sisters is out of the question too. Taleworlds took the fun of relationship and now it's all menus and currency. This is the game we got.

That's because in Warband was both helpful and immersive. The game rewarded your effort into making that friendship, when I needed to raid a castle, I didn't use my "influence income", a nonsensical feature, I used the actual influence I had over the NPCs that I won by helping them, freeing them from prison, and conspiring against others, so when I say "Hey Lakhem, I need help taking this castle" I know he'll follow me because I WON being followed, then if another friend of mine is about to take a castle, but he's taking too long, I can pressure them into attacking. In Bannerlord all of these possibities just got cut, kill some bandits or a ****ty mercenary group, there get some influence and bam you can build an army with 5 people doesn't matter if you're an unknown worm. The other options of conspiring or the detail that Lords told you specifically that you could pay a visit to their daughters/sisters is out of the question too. Taleworlds took the fun of relationship and now it's all menus and currency. This is the game we got.
right on point buddy! that's exactly it

Yes this correct and this also the problem with bannerlord. Its not as fun as warband but as cool additions like the clan system but it really doesn't use the clan system as well as warband would have.

At what point do we all just actually take stock, realise that we’re probably never going to get a workable version of this game at all no matter how long they string us along for as they have already made their money, and move on? Maybe if the whole community said enough is enough and stopped playing, then they would actually start listening? Who knows. It is just absolutely beyond ridiculous now. So many functions in the game make it unplayable for the vast majority - that in itself is such a ridiculous statement to make about a game in this day and age. Is there actually a single player out there who is completely satisfied with this service? I’ve never ever seen such a backlash from a community over such a poor release of a game, with literally hundreds and hundred of different issues and say that the game is unplayable. Thinks it’s all time we just give up

The game is not unplayable that's an overstatement. But the game is lacklustre for sure. But over all i have fun in battles but would like the relations to work or have more of and effect. I would like more Roleplay over battles in the long run. Events and RP would make a story wile battles are battles and don't really create story but are fun.

Last edited:
Calling the game "unplayable" is completely ridiculous, as many many people have played the game for hundreds of hours. Instead, call some features half-baked and the late game tedious or something. People deliberately saying blatantly that a game they probably played for >100 hrs unplayable or calling a game that has received hundreds (if not more than a thousand) updates a "grift" or a "scam" (not a specific person, there have been several threads about people calling the game a grift) just makes their argument look stupid, hollow and petty. Do complain about the game, there are so many genuine issues with the game, and specify about those issues if you want them to be fixed.

Calling the game "unplayable" is completely ridiculous, as many many people have played the game for hundreds of hours. Instead, call some features half-baked and the late game tedious or something.
Not unplayable but it is unfun/repetitive/frustrating to play for the majority of the time.

Most of us stick around because we know it is so close to being a fun game and just barely falls short of it, mainly due to poor balance/design decisions that can realistically be fixed.
Do complain about the game, there are so many genuine issues with the game, and specify about those issues if you want them to be fixed.
Agreed.

Not unplayable but it is unfun/repetitive/frustrating to play for the majority of the time.
Exactly, I completely agree, and people (not you specifically, you've already made and remade a list like 10 times now) should specify why exactly they feel it is unfun/repetitive/frustrating if they want the game to get any better.

I'm saying this because I think that this forum is just too overly negative most of the time to the point of disrespect and verbal harassment towards the devs. It's definitely not an unsalvageably bad game that people have to torture themselves to play for hundreds of hours, as people on this forum like to imply. It's a good game that's rough around the edges, with some edges being rougher (especially the late game).

Most of us stick around because we know it is so close to being a fun game and just barely falls short of it, mainly due to poor balance/design decisions that can realistically be fixed.
That's what make it so sad to return to this forum almost 3 years later and notice the same issues we have been pointing out since day one are still unchanged. It's hard to keep optimistically giving suggestions we know are not going to be taken into account, i commend your resilience.

It's a good game. I do play with like 40 mods tho.. still I've sunk thousands of hours into the first.M&B, warband and Bannerlord. The statement of "falls short" is probably the best review. It's so close to being the best thing but it's just missing that immersive rpg elements and it has improved endgame slightly.. like those cool cut scenes.. but the yearning for more is there and that feeling I fear isn't going away. Remember it's a Sandbox style game so you're not going to get an A-B story. That would be boring AF.

Back
Top Bottom