Comments: 3.0 Released

Users who are viewing this thread

oppai, I've seen that before - changing Commander, which some other mods allow you to do - but it might be a bit... overpowered in this mod.

What I mean is, if you build Yoshio with a full STR build and give him your very best equipment, he becomes an insane archer and swordsman. That's just in the AI's hands... But if you controlled him... Oh god, OP

Typically, I'm actually a lot weaker than my companions in a few regards - they have higher levels of STR, Power Strike, Ironflesh and Power Draw, so they can tank more. And in Yoshio's case, not only would his STR outstrip yours after you level him up for long enough, but he has 400 in 2H and 400 in archery...

If you could control Yoshio, Gonnosuke or Youmu, they'd turn from "really good fighters" into outright killing machines. Having a character controlled by the player tends to do that - my own player character in the hands of the AI would probably only take out 10 people each fight, not 50.

Are lords supposed to keep their fiefs when they defect to another clan? Playing as a lord in Lady Imagawa's Tokugawa clan, I've seen her lose Sendai & Edo when a couple of lords defected to the Amako (on the other side of Japan no less) & Uesugi and she didn't do anything about it. Nothing. I had to flat out persuade her to declare war. It just seems weird that a clan leader would allow her underlings to run off with 2 entire cities with absolutely no consequence. Strangely enough, other factions' lords don't seem to keep their fiefs when they defect over to us. What gives?

Well, I had this mod back in 2012, and I got it again. It has come so far in terms of development and refinement, it's amazing. I got the mod again after uninstalling my game due to a weird glitch, so I reinstalled it. Found this mod again and I can't say I've regretted getting the mod.

I've even started an AAR because I enjoy playing it so much. From my knowledge, is the first AAR for Gekokujo. You can find it here

unkowned said:
Roran 13 said:
There were some very early ones though. Fuselock ones, just like the guns. (Right term? Unsure)

the one your talking about were called Flintlocks those were the guns after the Matchlock (muskets)

Flintlock Rifles and such replaced the Matchlock Muskets though i dont think they had flintlocks during the sengoku era i believe they were still using matchlocks

I wasn't. Flintlocks use a flint to light the gunpowder, and I literally translated the word in Dutch into English for a matchlock. "Lontslot" Which literaly translated is "fuse-lock", hence my confusion. Those were fired by a lighted fuse being tilted onto the gunpowder by the trigger's movement. Unless I'm wrong with using correct words again... :razz:

Roran 13 said:
unkowned said:
Roran 13 said:
There were some very early ones though. Fuselock ones, just like the guns. (Right term? Unsure)

the one your talking about were called Flintlocks those were the guns after the Matchlock (muskets)

Flintlock Rifles and such replaced the Matchlock Muskets though i dont think they had flintlocks during the sengoku era i believe they were still using matchlocks

I wasn't. Flintlocks use a flint to light the gunpowder, and I literally translated the word in Dutch into English for a matchlock. "Lontslot" Which literaly translated is "fuse-lock", hence my confusion. Those were fired by a lighted fuse being tilted onto the gunpowder by the trigger's movement. Unless I'm wrong with using correct words again... :razz:

That sounds about right, the fuse mechanism is called match-lock. I'm not sure if a hyphen should be there though. Also, I can't remember where I read this but cavalry rarely used firearm on horseback because the matchs tended to be put out in the wind, being much more likely when atop a horse.

Mmmmm, I agree that a matchlock or flintlock gun would be pretty damn hard to use on horseback...

But by THIS point, Wheellock guns would have been around for ages - both as pistols and muskets. The wheellock mechanism was comparatively easy to reload, and FAR more usable in windy and rainy conditions due to the spark being ignited by the friction of the wheel, and not a fuse or a match - and best of all, the mechanism allowed for early pistols.

I'm not sure when the Miquelet was invented - probably much later than this time period - and that's the only other common classical gun type I can remember being good for cavalry. But a wheellock carbine or pistol would be an insanely good weapon for a mounted samurai, and as far as my research has told me so far, the samurai absolutely LOVED guns and embraced them - so I imagine if the Dutch and Portuguese were selling them the technology, that they'd make full use of it.

Talinoth said:
Mmmmm, I agree that a matchlock or flintlock gun would be pretty damn hard to use on horseback...

But by THIS point, Wheellock guns would have been around for ages - both as pistols and muskets. The wheellock mechanism was comparatively easy to reload, and FAR more usable in windy and rainy conditions due to the spark being ignited by the friction of the wheel, and not a fuse or a match - and best of all, the mechanism allowed for early pistols.

I'm not sure when the Miquelet was invented - probably much later than this time period - and that's the only other common classical gun type I can remember being good for cavalry. But a wheellock carbine or pistol would be an insanely good weapon for a mounted samurai, and as far as my research has told me so far, the samurai absolutely LOVED guns and embraced them - so I imagine if the Dutch and Portuguese were selling them the technology, that they'd make full use of it.

Wheelock in Europe, yes, in Japan, not so much.

Hazzardevil said:
11sparky11 said:
Wheelock in Europe, yes, in Japan, not so much.
Wasn't that because Japan had closed its borders by the time wheel-locks had been invented? So they had no way of getting access to it without inventing their own?

Actually, it was only the Catholic Spanish and Portuguese that were banished. Trade continued with the Dutch, but I think it has more to do with the fact that the time it took to transport them and introduce them to Japan was too long, and since technology was developing they found it pointless to introduce a weapon that would be quickly outdated. And of course muskets were being mass produced in Japan anyway, so trade was not so valuable anymore.

Greetings!

I have a a few suggestions for Gekokujo after playing through it for about a couple of weeks now. I'm liking it very much. I'm currently playing as Oda and I have majority of my 80-man army as Elite Gunners or Elite Samurai Gunners. I can't recall very well what are they called. Regardless...

Since people have complained about the lack of usage for the shield skill, how about adding parrying daggers or war fans in place of the shields?
You should make its shield coverage low enough for it to become near useless against ranged attacks, but of course, a few lucky blocks on ranged attacks would also be helpful.

And also... I don't know if others share my sentiment about the very small differences in the appearance of armor. The minor differences in appearance must be praised for its attention to detail. It's just that there's no other armor other than those of the Samurai. I know it might not sound realistic, but why not add armors based on:

-Ashigaru (aside from the current ones, how about the haci-gane protector or other chain mail armors in Japan?)
-Ninja armor or clothing
-Geisha or Kabuki? (for aesthetics only?)
-Japanese sandals?

Speaking of ninjas, you better make the kunai usable as a dagger as it was actually "designed" to be a melee weapon rather than a throwing weapon. Shurikens are the ones that are really throwing weapons. There's also a lot of types of shurikens so I guess that should add variety to the weapons.

I'm short on time right now so I'll add other suggestions next time.

Sorry also if I'm suggesting too much even though I don't know anything about modding. I know it's hard to make a game like this, so just treat these as suggestions rather than requests.

Best of luck to you on this project!

ADDITIONAL STUFF (Edited August 22, 2013):

By the way, checking the Yari length... I suggest adding different kinds of Yaris that causes their ranges to vary. I'm not sure if there are any spears of pike length yet in the game. It would be great if there is a variety in length from short spears to long pikes for the Yari. Also... In Fire and Sword, I noticed that the Pikemen have finally learned to kneel when they are in the first row (quite similar to what your gunners are doing). Could you do the same for pikemen?

For the mail armor that I was talking about, here's a picture of it.
Samurai_wearing_kusari_katabira_%28chain_armor%29.jpg

Seeing that naginata reminded me of the onnabushi... Are there any onnabushi warriors hireable in game?
Also, how about Nagamakis?

Eiann said:
Greetings!

I have a a few suggestions for Gekokujo after playing through it for about a couple of weeks now. I'm liking it very much. I'm currently playing as Oda and I have majority of my 80-man army as Elite Gunners or Elite Samurai Gunners. I can't recall very well what are they called. Regardless...

Since people have complained about the lack of usage for the shield skill, how about adding parrying daggers or war fans in place of the shields?
You should make its shield coverage low enough for it to become near useless against ranged attacks, but of course, a few lucky blocks on ranged attacks would also be helpful.

And also... I don't know if others share my sentiment about the very small differences in the appearance of armor. The minor differences in appearance must be praised for its attention to detail. It's just that there's no other armor other than those of the Samurai. I know it might not sound realistic, but why not add armors based on:

-Ashigaru (aside from the current ones, how about the haci-gane protector or other chain mail armors in Japan?)
-Ninja armor or clothing
-Japanese sandals?

Speaking of ninjas, you better make the kunai usable as a dagger as it was actually "designed" to be a melee weapon rather than a throwing weapon. Shurikens are the ones that are really throwing weapons. There's also a lot of types of shurikens so I guess that should add variety to the weapons.

Sorry also if I'm suggesting too much even though I don't know anything about modding. I know it's hard to make a game like this, so just treat these as suggestions rather than requests.

Well most things - if not everything - comes from an OSP Pack, he does not possess the ability to do that unfortunately

OneRing2RuleThemALL said:
Eiann said:
Greetings!

-Ninja armor or clothing
-Japanese sandals?

Well most things - if not everything - comes from an OSP Pack, he does not possess the ability to do that unfortunately
Hate to correct you but a lot of things are not from an OSP pack and he made himself thus it is possible would just take time the things from the OSP packs were lower in quality then what we currently have.

besides saying "if not everything" sounds rude the towns the castles the siege were all made from scratch keep that in mind thats A LOT of work more than armour more than weapons
not only that next update the religion system as well as the court system will also be in place these are also from scratch (bare bones) so if i had to say only a small amount of things will be OSP packs once 3.0 is out there will also be new weapon variations as well which is also not from an OSP.

What i mean is in v1.0 near enough everything was from OSP
2.0 Marty replaced the OSP items with ones he made himself
3.0 Many more new items as well as new systems in place

Thus Marty DOES have the skill to do it but he will do it only if he wants to as for using kunai as a melee thats such a simple thing to do >_>

A kunai was a farming tool. Not a dagger, not a thrown weapon.
A shuriken would be useless against any armour starting from a leather cloak.
Using daggers as shields has been done before in M&B, but the problem lies within the shield skill itself. The higher your skill, the higher your coverage. Even with neglible coverage a dagger with 10 shield skill would block arrows in a pretty ridiculously wide radius. Thereby, it looks bad.
There are ashigaru armours already. Ashigaru basically used no armour to cheap and mass-produced versions of samurai armours. You are right about the rarer mail vests though. Currently there are no real mail suits or leather armours in-game.
The sandals in-game are Japanese sandals afaik. Unless you mean barefoot sandals, which were not used for travelling or fighting I would dare say.
I fully agree on geisha clothing, but I'm kind-of allergic to Hollywood ninja clothing and anything hollywood ninja-like. If they are incldued, I hope they are realistic, just like this mod is untill now. Stealthy spies and saboteurs. Perhaps even assassins, but no god-like olympic champions beating samurai on a battlefield while watching TV and cooking some sausages.

unkowned said:
Eiann said:
Greetings!

-Ninja armor or clothing
-Japanese sandals?

Hate to correct you but a lot of things are not from an OSP pack and he made himself thus it is possible would just take time the things from the OSP packs were lower in quality then what we currently have.

besides saying "if not everything" sounds rude the towns the castles the siege were all made from scratch keep that in mind thats A LOT of work more than armour more than weapons
not only that next update the religion system as well as the court system will also be in place these are also from scratch (bare bones) so if i had to say only a small amount of things will be OSP packs once 3.0 is out there will also be new weapon variations as well which is also not from an OSP.

Thus Marty DOES have the skill to do it but he will do it only if he wants to as for using kunai as a melee thats such a simple thing to do >_>

I appreciate the design of the castles greatly! I think even Brytenwalda's castles can't compare to the multi-layer courtyard castles here.

If that's what's in the next update - by all means, Ignore my useless blabbering! I'd rather have that instead.

Roran 13 said:
A kunai was a farming tool. Not a dagger, not a thrown weapon.
A shuriken would be useless against any armour starting from a leather cloak.
Using daggers as shields has been done before in M&B, but the problem lies within the shield skill itself. The higher your skill, the higher your coverage. Even with neglible coverage a dagger with 10 shield skill would block arrows in a pretty ridiculously wide radius. Thereby, it looks bad.
There are ashigaru armours already. Ashigaru basically used no armour to cheap and mass-produced versions of samurai armours. You are right about the rarer mail vests though. Currently there are no real mail suits or leather armours in-game.
The sandals in-game are Japanese sandals afaik. Unless you mean barefoot sandals, which were not used for travelling or fighting I would dare say.
I fully agree on geisha clothing, but I'm kind-of allergic to Hollywood ninja clothing and anything hollywood ninja-like. If they are incldued, I hope they are realistic, just like this mod is untill now. Stealthy spies and saboteurs. Perhaps even assassins, but no god-like olympic champions beating samurai on a battlefield while watching TV and cooking some sausages.

I'm fully aware that the kunai is a farming tool, but when it came to practice, it was really used for melee rather than as a throwing weapon. And for the shuriken, why not add it still (if it's in the pack he is using that is). Maybe have its damage so low that when your are wearing armor and get hit with it, it would say "Received 0 damage" and it won't even flinch you. Shurikens were not used to kill, right? It's only to disorient the enemy.

About the shield skill, what if we increase the bonus damage of arrows and any other ranged weapon against shields except kunais so that it would easily destroy the war fan/parrying blade, and only melee weapons would be blocked by the fan? We could also lower the durability of the fan so that it would discourage its use?

About the ninjas, would shogun 2 total war ninja types be at the very least acceptable or are they far too unrealistic?

unkowned said:
Eiann said:
Greetings!

-Ninja armor or clothing
-Japanese sandals?

Yeah I feel like a dickhead now anyway. But what I didn't specify was the armour and how he probably wouldn't have the time to make and model them if he is still only making this by himself.
EDIT: And texture to a good quality.
EDIT2: And code the flags for the Ashigaru armour.

Back
Top Bottom