Comments: 3.0 Released

Users who are viewing this thread

Zeqe, those ideas are absolutely amazing.

Part of the reason why I love With Fire & Sword so much is not the guns and grenades, not the different take on combat, but all of the quests and political intrigue between the 5 factions.

The lords gave out "special missions" for the factions, involving stuff like delivering caravans loaded with arms past enemies, taking a ridiculously overpowered horse to the Polish king and being ambushed by angry Cossacks three times along the way, rescuing a lord's daughter from the Swedish king, breaking out of the Tsar's jail in Moscow to avoid being executed and more - all along more traditional "Assassinate Local Merchant" quests, hunting down spies, receiving a spy's information, etc etc.

Yeah. More quests. That's what I'd like to see in Gekokujo. God, I know it'd be ****fully hard to code, and it might seem like it's more trouble than it's worth - but I think it'd add even more gameplay to what we already have.

Metalfist said:
You cannot reload a muzzle loading gun on a horse because its just too complex an operation to do it.

Ahh, you mean it's because of the mount and blade warband programming codes that don't allow such things? I see I see.

While we're on the topic of possible improvements, the tournament system that is used in Floris is available as a standalone mod and is heavily customizable. As a default, it allows you to bet on a per-round basis about the number of enemies you will defeat that round. If this isn't perfect for Samurai culture I don't know what is! Additionally, it allows you to set weapon parameters (also per round!), and make it so that enemies in tournaments scale to your level. It also comes with 9 custom scenes with amazing terrain variability, all that needs to happen are some wall swaps.

And, since I love suggesting more work for our courageous leader: what about non-combat tournament competition options? The code is there, dormant in the game (from field training) for feats of skill: archery, horsemanship. It even tracks success conditions. Allow gambling, maybe no renown or little renown, but have it grant entry into feasts, or alternatively, grant morale to troops? I have always found it puzzling that my troops didn't seem to take pride in their commander dominating a tournament...
Also, why can't I buy sake for my men at a tavern to improve morale?

The Shimazu clan (in purple) at the start. With the Otomo Clan to the north and the Ryuzoji to the north west.
kppq.jpg

The Shimazu Clan after conquering Kyushu and invading Shikoku. My army was at the front lines for most of the campaign and I was present at every major battle. The war makes me a hero in the clan:
zzk7.jpg

Great lord Shimazu angers me and fellow vassals by passing us over for valuable fiefs to often and keeping them for himself. Our quarrel drives me to revolted and sparks a Civil war (my faction is in red):
3j8q.jpg

After a long and bloody civil war my faction conquers Kyushu and brings the Island totally under my control. The remnants of the once great Shimazu clan flee to their last stronghold at Kochi in southern Shikoku  while I sit on the throne at Kagoshima.
lxel.jpg
6un6.jpg

The success of the war gives me confidence and now I thirst for more power. With the Shimazu out of the way I can plan my invasion of Shikoku and eventually Honshu. Taking my first steps in conquering Japan and becoming Shogun.

I'm so addicted to this game. Best ****ing mod ever. You can also notice the weaker clans getting wiped out on other parts of the map.

What I finally decided to do is to restart a character and have him ONLY act as a retainer to various lords until either 3.0 comes out or I hit 5 years worth of direct retainer time. After I hit the 5 years I am going to retire him for use in 3.0.

Edit: It's working out awesome, btw. By sticking with a lord until his kingdom inevitably falls due to player interaction in battles causing FAR more losses on both sides than autocalcs I have successfully presided over the fall of Clan Otomo, Clan Ryuzoji, Clan Shimazu, and Clan Miyoshi.  I'm like the kiss of death.  Find faction leader, become retainer, clan falls.

Awesome mod! But I got a small problem. When I join an army as a retainer, the game crashes when the army I'm in besieges a castle/town.

Any suggestions?

JoelMB12 said:
I was just wondering when are court faction system going to come into places, and same merchant and priest.
the court faction system will be in place in the next update though its the bare bones (not certain marty can clarify)

Dharcness said:
Metalfist said:
You cannot reload a muzzle loading gun on a horse because its just too complex an operation to do it.

Ahh, you mean it's because of the mount and blade warband programming codes that don't allow such things? I see I see.

Ehh no he doesn't. He means that it's just impractically difficult to carry a matchlock musket on a horse, let alone firing and reloading.

If phlpp *wanted* to, he could program it in. There's already an animation for reloading a carbine in With Fire & Sword on horseback, and probably the same in other mods.

But I'd say that reloading a MUSKET on a moving horse would be incredibly difficult. You have to remember a musket is usually a considerably long gun in the first place, and reloading it fires the user to stand fully upright to put the powder and the bullet into the tube.

You can't stand fully upright on a horse - not in this game. Reloading the musket is impractical because it's just far too long to be practical. That's why carbines, shorter versions of muskets, were made - they were made for use on horseback.

So no, I wouldn't want MUSKETS to be reloadable on horseback, and I sincerely doubt it will happen
---
Just an unrelated question, how common were pistols around this time period? I actually really want to pick one up for my next character, if that's historically viable :razz:

There really weren't any, I imagine you could have a gun merchant that has imported in some exotic firearms, such as a pistol though.

Roran 13 said:
There were some very early ones though. Fuselock ones, just like the guns. (Right term? Unsure)

the one your talking about were called Flintlocks those were the guns after the Matchlock (muskets)

Flintlock Rifles and such replaced the Matchlock Muskets though i dont think they had flintlocks during the sengoku era i believe they were still using matchlocks

Talinoth said:
If phlpp *wanted* to, he could program it in. There's already an animation for reloading a carbine in With Fire & Sword on horseback, and probably the same in other mods.

But I'd say that reloading a MUSKET on a moving horse would be incredibly difficult. You have to remember a musket is usually a considerably long gun in the first place, and reloading it fires the user to stand fully upright to put the powder and the bullet into the tube.

You can't stand fully upright on a horse - not in this game. Reloading the musket is impractical because it's just far too long to be practical. That's why carbines, shorter versions of muskets, were made - they were made for use on horseback.

So no, I wouldn't want MUSKETS to be reloadable on horseback, and I sincerely doubt it will happen
---
Just an unrelated question, how common were pistols around this time period? I actually really want to pick one up for my next character, if that's historically viable :razz:

In Nobunaga Ambition series you can have a squad of emm "Qi Qiang Bing" (Mounted Gun Troops ? ).  Basically these are troops on horses that carry guns.

On the topic of pistols and firing matchlocks on horse, the japanese manufactured  the bajōzutsu in this period, it was basically a shorter japanese matchlock in the form of a pistol used by mounted samurai. I imagine these were available in a lesser quantity and more expensive since they were intended for samurai usage.

On a side note I'm a little confused with the availability of Dutch matchlocks as the Dutch would only arrive in Japan for the first time at 1600.

Back
Top Bottom