Comments: 3.0 Released

Users who are viewing this thread

Eiann

Recruit
Cookie Eating Huskarl said:
I think you guys mean the kama. I don't remember any civilizations using a dagger like object for farming.

Wikipedia says the Kunai is a gardening tool, much like a spade.
 
Derived from a trowel, not a trowel, also note that it's derived from a masonry trowel, which is used for carving up soft rocks and laying bricks, not soil. Historically used to gouge holes in wall for climbing, not exactly fit for fighting, as a hidden weapon it works just as fine as a sharpened trowel.

The ones we see in Gekokujo is a highly stylized one, resembling a dagger more than a trowel.
 

Eiann

Recruit
Cookie Eating Huskarl said:
Derived from a trowel, not a trowel, also note that it's derived from a masonry trowel, which is used for carving up soft rocks and laying bricks, not soil. Historically used to gouge holes in wall for climbing, not exactly fit for fighting, as a hidden weapon it works just as fine as a sharpened trowel.

The ones we see in Gekokujo is a highly stylized one, resembling a dagger more than a trowel.

Trowel or masonry trowel aside (as I am not fit to argue about such accuracies), it might as well be usable as a dagger in game. However, I've noticed that other throwing knives in warband aren't usable as knives. Oh well... I guess forget that suggestion. But a shuriken is indeed a must in this game.
 
Perhaps just make another version of it (the large kunai perhaps?) as the melee version while you can still use the smaller kunai as throwing implement.

As for your question, I'm sure you can do it for throwing knives as well, since throwing axes are already melee-capable. It's most likely just a tag in the item.txt that needs to be activated.
 

phlpp

Knight
WBWF&S
oppai said:
hmmm,  I'm debating whether I should start a campaign or just wait for 3.0 hmmm
Play! I have no set time for 3.0 release, for all you know you could be waiting the same amount as the time between 1.1 to 2.0

Nuchiha said:
Well, I had this mod back in 2012, and I got it again. It has come so far in terms of development and refinement, it's amazing. I got the mod again after uninstalling my game due to a weird glitch, so I reinstalled it. Found this mod again and I can't say I've regretted getting the mod.

I've even started an AAR because I enjoy playing it so much. From my knowledge, is the first AAR for Gekokujo. You can find it here.
Thanks for doing an AAR -- I love reading those even if they're not gekokujo

Eiann said:
Greetings!
Eiann, thanks for enjoying the mod! A lot of your suggestions are already integrated and implemented into 3.0, so you're in for a treat. I AM adding war fans, but as weapons, not shields (multiple types -- some are just decoration, although you can do SOME damage with them, others are supposed to increase your tactics skill). I don't know if I'm going to add anything to the left hand at all, but I could change my mind. Most of the armors you suggested have already been started, at least (nothing screenshot-worthy yet, unfortunately). The chain armor you posted isn't planned, however -- it feels too Edo period, when I want it to be just before Azuchi-Momoyama (I know those armors probably existed at that time, but this is an aesthetic choice). Changes to the kunai are also incoming now that shuriken exist. There's definitely variety in polearm lengths now (as well as blade type variety), but I don't think I've gotten front rows of pikemen to kneel yet. There is already one nagamaki in 2.1 as it exists, but there are nine in 3.0 and in my humble opinion the new nagamakis are much better. There's already onnabushi as well -- they've been there as far back as 1.0.

I'm excited to work on this new version but please, everyone remember, I'm slow as hell

OneRing2RuleThemALL said:
Well most things - if not everything - comes from an OSP Pack, he does not possess the ability to do that unfortunately
:sad: Actually, only 1.0 was mostly from OSP packs -- 2.0 was when a majority of the stuff in gekokujo was modeled by me. Is this the standard perception? Should I work harder to make it known I did most of the stuff on my own?
 

oppai

Sergeant Knight at Arms
WB
OneRing2RuleThemALL said:
unkowned said:
OneRing2RuleThemALL said:
Eiann said:
Greetings!

I have a a few suggestions for Gekokujo after playing through it for about a couple of weeks now. I'm liking it very much. I'm currently playing as Oda and I have majority of my 80-man army as Elite Gunners or Elite Samurai Gunners. I can't recall very well what are they called. Regardless...

Since people have complained about the lack of usage for the shield skill, how about adding parrying daggers or war fans in place of the shields?
You should make its shield coverage low enough for it to become near useless against ranged attacks, but of course, a few lucky blocks on ranged attacks would also be helpful.

And also... I don't know if others share my sentiment about the very small differences in the appearance of armor. The minor differences in appearance must be praised for its attention to detail. It's just that there's no other armor other than those of the Samurai. I know it might not sound realistic, but why not add armors based on:

-Ashigaru (aside from the current ones, how about the haci-gane protector or other chain mail armors in Japan?)
-Ninja armor or clothing
-Geisha or Kabuki? (for aesthetics only?)
-Japanese sandals?

Speaking of ninjas, you better make the kunai usable as a dagger as it was actually "designed" to be a melee weapon rather than a throwing weapon. Shurikens are the ones that are really throwing weapons. There's also a lot of types of shurikens so I guess that should add variety to the weapons.

I'm short on time right now so I'll add other suggestions next time.

Sorry also if I'm suggesting too much even though I don't know anything about modding. I know it's hard to make a game like this, so just treat these as suggestions rather than requests.

Best of luck to you on this project!

Well most things - if not everything - comes from an OSP Pack, he does not possess the ability to do that unfortunately
Hate to correct you but a lot of things are not from an OSP pack and he made himself thus it is possible would just take time the things from the OSP packs were lower in quality then what we currently have.

besides saying "if not everything" sounds rude the towns the castles the siege were all made from scratch keep that in mind thats A LOT of work more than armour more than weapons
not only that next update the religion system as well as the court system will also be in place these are also from scratch (bare bones) so if i had to say only a small amount of things will be OSP packs once 3.0 is out there will also be new weapon variations as well which is also not from an OSP.

What i mean is in v1.0 near enough everything was from OSP
2.0 Marty replaced the OSP items with ones he made himself
3.0 Many more new items as well as new systems in place

Thus Marty DOES have the skill to do it but he will do it only if he wants to as for using kunai as a melee thats such a simple thing to do >_>
Yeah I feel like a dickhead now anyway. But what I didn't specify was the armour and how he probably wouldn't have the time to make and model them if he is still only making this by himself.
EDIT: And texture to a good quality.
EDIT2: And code the flags for the Ashigaru armour.
@Eiann you can recruit onnabushis by getting peasant women they're bad ass :grin: and @phlpp/Marty the guy kinda appolagized :?: and we all know how much you work for us keep it up... I started a new campaign can't get enough of this :grin:
 

phlpp

Knight
WBWF&S
I see, I see. He doesn't have to apologize though -- if that was what he was led to believe, it's not really anyone's fault
 

JonathanYu

Recruit
oppai said:
@Eiann you can recruit onnabushis by getting peasant women they're bad ass :grin: and @phlpp/Marty the guy kinda appolagized :?: and we all know how much you work for us keep it up... I started a new campaign can't get enough of this :grin:


Can I ask where/how I can recruit peasant women or farmers for that matter besides rescuing bandit captives?
 

Eiann

Recruit
phlpp said:
oppai said:
hmmm,  I'm debating whether I should start a campaign or just wait for 3.0 hmmm
Play! I have no set time for 3.0 release, for all you know you could be waiting the same amount as the time between 1.1 to 2.0

Nuchiha said:
Well, I had this mod back in 2012, and I got it again. It has come so far in terms of development and refinement, it's amazing. I got the mod again after uninstalling my game due to a weird glitch, so I reinstalled it. Found this mod again and I can't say I've regretted getting the mod.

I've even started an AAR because I enjoy playing it so much. From my knowledge, is the first AAR for Gekokujo. You can find it here.
Thanks for doing an AAR -- I love reading those even if they're not gekokujo

Eiann said:
Greetings!
Eiann, thanks for enjoying the mod! A lot of your suggestions are already integrated and implemented into 3.0, so you're in for a treat. I AM adding war fans, but as weapons, not shields (multiple types -- some are just decoration, although you can do SOME damage with them, others are supposed to increase your tactics skill). I don't know if I'm going to add anything to the left hand at all, but I could change my mind. Most of the armors you suggested have already been started, at least (nothing screenshot-worthy yet, unfortunately). The chain armor you posted isn't planned, however -- it feels too Edo period, when I want it to be just before Azuchi-Momoyama (I know those armors probably existed at that time, but this is an aesthetic choice). Changes to the kunai are also incoming now that shuriken exist. There's definitely variety in polearm lengths now (as well as blade type variety), but I don't think I've gotten front rows of pikemen to kneel yet. There is already one nagamaki in 2.1 as it exists, but there are nine in 3.0 and in my humble opinion the new nagamakis are much better. There's already onnabushi as well -- they've been there as far back as 1.0.

I'm excited to work on this new version but please, everyone remember, I'm slow as hell

OneRing2RuleThemALL said:
Well most things - if not everything - comes from an OSP Pack, he does not possess the ability to do that unfortunately
:sad: Actually, only 1.0 was mostly from OSP packs -- 2.0 was when a majority of the stuff in gekokujo was modeled by me. Is this the standard perception? Should I work harder to make it known I did most of the stuff on my own?

Wow... That's great to hear! I can't wait for the next update! Well... I guess could wait... and I'll be willing to wait. Gekokujo was the only thing that was able to scrape me off Brytenwalda.

By the way, a great samurai developed a technique that focuses on dual wielding, right? Perhaps you could use the "shield bash" function of some mods to "replicate" the attack of a sword using the left hand? You could also give the ranged weapons an insane damage bonus against "shield/blade" so that the parrying blade can only be used against melee weapons. That way, there's no need to worry about shields suddenly existing in Gekokujo.

And once again... I humbly say that these are all just suggestions and are not requests. I know nothing about modding. I'm just giving out ideas that I have that might be possibly with the game engine.
 
phlpp said:
oppai said:
hmmm,  I'm debating whether I should start a campaign or just wait for 3.0 hmmm
Play! I have no set time for 3.0 release, for all you know you could be waiting the same amount as the time between 1.1 to 2.0

Nuchiha said:
Well, I had this mod back in 2012, and I got it again. It has come so far in terms of development and refinement, it's amazing. I got the mod again after uninstalling my game due to a weird glitch, so I reinstalled it. Found this mod again and I can't say I've regretted getting the mod.

I've even started an AAR because I enjoy playing it so much. From my knowledge, is the first AAR for Gekokujo. You can find it here.
Thanks for doing an AAR -- I love reading those even if they're not gekokujo

Eiann said:
Greetings!
Eiann, thanks for enjoying the mod! A lot of your suggestions are already integrated and implemented into 3.0, so you're in for a treat. I AM adding war fans, but as weapons, not shields (multiple types -- some are just decoration, although you can do SOME damage with them, others are supposed to increase your tactics skill). I don't know if I'm going to add anything to the left hand at all, but I could change my mind. Most of the armors you suggested have already been started, at least (nothing screenshot-worthy yet, unfortunately). The chain armor you posted isn't planned, however -- it feels too Edo period, when I want it to be just before Azuchi-Momoyama (I know those armors probably existed at that time, but this is an aesthetic choice). Changes to the kunai are also incoming now that shuriken exist. There's definitely variety in polearm lengths now (as well as blade type variety), but I don't think I've gotten front rows of pikemen to kneel yet. There is already one nagamaki in 2.1 as it exists, but there are nine in 3.0 and in my humble opinion the new nagamakis are much better. There's already onnabushi as well -- they've been there as far back as 1.0.

I'm excited to work on this new version but please, everyone remember, I'm slow as hell

OneRing2RuleThemALL said:
Well most things - if not everything - comes from an OSP Pack, he does not possess the ability to do that unfortunately
:sad: Actually, only 1.0 was mostly from OSP packs -- 2.0 was when a majority of the stuff in gekokujo was modeled by me. Is this the standard perception? Should I work harder to make it known I did most of the stuff on my own?
Yeah I only tried version 2.0 like - yesterday :razz:
 

Lerfrid

Regular
i'm downloading it at the moment, wonder why i've doesn't seen it earlier.
i'll give you my feedback asap :wink:

well after the first minutes, the first aspect of the game and generell after my first battels and town visits:

your work is ****ing awesome! my deepest respect for this mod, it's great!
 
slayer93443 said:
the faces on the females are messed up is there a way to fix that
Send a picture. If it is just the body colour being different, then that is normal. Until someone makes a complex skeleton, we're not going to be able to fix those.
 

oppai

Sergeant Knight at Arms
WB
the only way to get peasant women is by recruiting them after defeating whoever had them captured i think>>
 

Harada

Knight
Hi phlpp ! that's a fantastic mod ! I was dreaming of this kind of game about shengoku jidai period ^^ I've loaded the fist link in the first page and then the two updates but I don't know if I  did it correctly, it is normal that the towns and villages still have the Native names ?
 

Lerfrid

Regular
Harada said:
Hi phlpp ! that's a fantastic mod ! I was dreaming of this kind of game about shengoku jidai period ^^ I've loaded the fist link in the first page and then the two updates but I don't know if I  did it correctly, it is normal that the towns and villages still have the Native names ?

hey there,
before you start the game at, the screen where you could choose the mod you have to go under options and choose at language english.
then you should see the right names :wink:

-----------------------

Phlpp, I've an question is it possible that you could add this "gather all heroes in your first tavern"-thingy like in the game of thrones mod? I really hate it the searching for an special hero.
 
Harada said:
Hi phlpp ! that's a fantastic mod ! I was dreaming of this kind of game about shengoku jidai period ^^ I've loaded the fist link in the first page and then the two updates but I don't know if I  did it correctly, it is normal that the towns and villages still have the Native names ?
Download
http://www.offtopicbooks.com/gekokujo/gekokujo_2.1.exe
and
http://www.offtopicbooks.com/gekokujo/gekokujo_2.1a_patch.zip

Install 2.1 exe first, go to the gekokujo module folder and put those files in from the patch.
 

phlpp

Knight
WBWF&S
If any of the towns have native names, it's because you're playing in a language other than English -- I'm sorry, I didn't know that would happen until it was too late. In 3.0 I'll at least warn you that it's not properly translated
 

JonathanYu

Recruit
oppai said:
the only way to get peasant women is by recruiting them after defeating whoever had them captured i think>>

That royally sucks, guess I'll just have to club peasant women over the head and brainwash them into onnabushis.

On a side note, the Iron Bo seems like a frighteningly effective if unassuming weapon in combat, to me at least, and it's long and cheap. I brought down half-a-dozen Uesugi mounted officers with it, of course the AI being not very good at lance attacks helped a bit but still. I think I'll go join the Kaga Ikki and become a warrior monk.
 

Eiann

Recruit
JonathanYu said:
oppai said:
the only way to get peasant women is by recruiting them after defeating whoever had them captured i think>>

That royally sucks, guess I'll just have to club peasant women over the head and brainwash them into onnabushis.

On a side note, the Iron Bo seems like a frighteningly effective if unassuming weapon in combat, to me at least, and it's long and cheap. I brought down half-a-dozen Uesugi mounted officers with it, of course the AI being not very good at lance attacks helped a bit but still. I think I'll go join the Kaga Ikki and become a warrior monk.

You don't just brainwash them into joining your army. You actually make brainwash them into becoming your wife. Thus, Samurai Wife. Are you planning on making an entire army of Onnabushis?
 
Top Bottom