Combat skills leveling speed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Adding on to my last post, leveling archery works best when you are on horseback. Even using a hunting bow and normal arrows it is way easier to get kills because of the mobility a horse affords.

I start off every new game by getting a low level bow and hiring a Vlandian squire or two. These guys kind of suck, so while they are faffing about with the looters, I am lurking nearby with my trusty bow, killing the looters that the squires are unable to hit. I usually get most of the kills and my bow skill rises very rapidly. Eventually the squires get a few kills and level up, but by that time I have 50 archery or so.

Stay mounted if you are trying to grind up some archery skill. There will be plenty of time to run around like peasant after you have mastered the bow. I hope this will clarify my earlier comments.

This is good advice.

Mounted archery is the optimum way to level both bow & riding, I usually start most playthroughs grinding looters on horseback. Headshots while riding at max speed, while tricky, work best.

This is good advice.

Mounted archery is the optimum way to level both bow & riding, I usually start most playthroughs grinding looters on horseback. Headshots while riding at max speed, while tricky, work best.

Mounted archery easiest and cheesiest way to level up bow skill, but this topic not about leveling bow exclusively. It's about overall slowness of combat skill progression which largely limits player enjoyment.

You have to remember that 84 days is a year in the game. You start out at 30 years old but that will probably change to 20 years old sometime in a future patch. If you start out as a 20 year old whippersnapper how fast do you think you should become a level 275 swordmaster in one-handed skills? IMO it should roughly take you about 10 years of constant use to get a skill that high, so 840 days. When you have kids, you will probably be able to educate them so they get a headstart (the system to do this is not in the game yet), but I don't think its a good thing to be able to max out a skill after a few years in-game.

Mounted archery easiest and cheesiest way to level up bow skill, but this topic not about leveling bow exclusively. It's about overall slowness of combat skill progression which largely limits player enjoyment.

Combat skills I'm fine with. I personally had no issue with the leveling speed on my combat oriented characters.

However skills such as athletics and leadership is another matter.

You have to remember that 84 days is a year in the game. You start out at 30 years old but that will probably change to 20 years old sometime in a future patch. If you start out as a 20 year old whippersnapper how fast do you think you should become a level 275 swordmaster in one-handed skills? IMO it should roughly take you about 10 years of constant use to get a skill that high, so 840 days. When you have kids, you will probably be able to educate them so they get a headstart (the system to do this is not in the game yet), but I don't think its a good thing to be able to max out a skill after a few years in-game.

In normal gameplay you can't do only one thing 10 years, personal combat will always be side activity, after army command, kingdom management and so on. So yes, combat skills need to be somewhat easier to level up in my opinion.

In normal gameplay you can't do only one thing 10 years, personal combat will always be side activity, after army command, kingdom management and so on. So yes, combat skills need to be somewhat easier to level up in my opinion.
I didn't mean "literally not doing anything else but practicing with a sword for 10 years". But 10 years of consistent use. That means using a sword in every battle you do, doing duels and tournaments etc on a consistent basis. You obviously should be able to pursue other objectives while doing this, but you shouldn't be able to get to 275 sword skill in like 3 years of game time no matter how good you are or how often you use them.

Well you played whole game with bow in your hands and still don't have top perk, you think it is reasonable? How long it took both in in-game time and real time? How about other combat skills, do you have some melee leveled?

That's my char the moment after I executed the last enemy and obtained all remaining fiefs. Actually I only had 274 riding, was another game I got it past 300.
It's day 683. I don't track IRL game time, that's for casuals. It's a lot ****ing faster then wiping out Calradia in Warband though.
Technically nobody has the Top perk because it's not coded into the game. Besides I don't care about that, but I wanted howling shot...in case it got put in.
You can say "oh you only have...... skill...oh boo game too slow " but I have the greatest skill, I defeated the world, nobody could stand up to me.
You don't need numbers to get more bigger in this game.

I didn't mean "literally not doing anything else but practicing with a sword for 10 years". But 10 years of consistent use. That means using a sword in every battle you do, doing duels and tournaments etc on a consistent basis. You obviously should be able to pursue other objectives while doing this, but you shouldn't be able to get to 275 sword skill in like 3 years of game time no matter how good you are or how often you use them.

With current learning rates it is not gonna happen. It took 19 days of chasing and shooting looters exclusively to get to skill level 100. It will take 10 times more shooting to get to 200 (219 days, 2,7 years of compressed shooting) and only god knows how many shooting to get to 275.

That's my char the moment after I executed the last enemy and obtained all remaining fiefs. Actually I only had 274 riding, was another game I got it past 300.
It's day 683. I don't track IRL game time, that's for casuals. It's a lot ****ing faster then wiping out Calradia in Warband though.
Technically nobody has the Top perk because it's not coded into the game. Besides I don't care about that, but I wanted howling shot...in case it got put in.
You can say "oh you only have...... skill...oh boo game too slow " but I have the greatest skill, I defeated the world, nobody could stand up to me.
You don't need numbers to get more bigger in this game.

Good for you, what you don't care about numbers, and care only about cheesing the game out,but this is not focus of this topic.

What important for this topic is fact, what you spent 8.5 years only fighting and chopping heads and still don't nearly have high bow or melee skill.

Good for you, what you don't care about numbers, and care only about cheesing the game out,but this is not focus of this topic.

What important for this topic is fact, what you spent 8.5 years only fighting and chopping heads and still don't nearly have high bow or melee skill.
Says who? I bet all those guys I shot to death and eviscerated with my Glaive felt they were high enough. I don't look into troop stats lately, but I'm pretty sure 150 polearm and 200+ archery are on pare with the high tier professional soldiers. It's unreasonable to expect to be better then an elite soldier.
If you think a post is irrelevant to the topic, don't respond to it asking questions. What you want the last word? Too bad.

Honestly, with perks and skill system a work in progress this whole complaint and worry about it being to slow is irrelevant.

Says who? I bet all those guys I shot to death and eviscerated with my Glaive felt they were high enough. I don't look into troop stats lately, but I'm pretty sure 150 polearm and 200+ archery are on pare with the high tier professional soldiers. It's unreasonable to expect to be better then an elite soldier.
If you think a post is irrelevant to the topic, don't respond to it asking questions. What you want the last word? Too bad.

Honestly, with perks and skill system a work in progress this whole complaint and worry about it being to slow is irrelevant.

It is not relevant, who have the last word, I like you to have this one, because it seems important to you. But you are completely off-topic with this post except last phrase. It is very important to discuss perks and leveling rates while there is work in progress. It is called feedback.

It is not relevant, who have the last word, I like you to have this one, because it seems important to you. But you are completely off-topic with this post except last phrase. It is very important to discuss perks and leveling rates while there is work in progress. It is called feedback.
It's more like you're just ignoring the relevant parts of posts. I said I think a problem with bow exp is it doesn't give a bonus for shot difficulty, like to tool tip says it should. But your only response was
Well, all RPG's about story. Now we have....
Ignoring all relevant feedback.
Most players feel combat skills level fast enough. Most players feel passive skills (Medicine, Engineering, Leadership) level abysmally slowly and should probably level in another way then they do currently.

Well, all RPG's about story. Now we have story about useless moron, who don't know anything about any trade or combat skills by age of 30 and with this slow leveling it will be story about useless moron died of old age still not learned how to hold bow and sword properly, despite personal involvement in hundreds of battles.
I personally like the rate of xp in the current game. I do think a couple need tweaking though, for example steward is too easy to progress while medicine is a bit slow.

If it doesn't suit your playstyle, I recommend bannerlord tweaks mod to configure it to your liking.

It's more like you're just ignoring the relevant parts of posts. I said I think a problem with bow exp is it doesn't give a bonus for shot difficulty, like to tool tip says it should. But your only response was

Ignoring all relevant feedback.
Most players feel combat skills level fast enough. Most players feel passive skills (Medicine, Engineering, Leadership) level abysmally slowly and should probably level in another way then they do currently.

Leadership levels a good speed IMO. You can get leadership 125 by day 300 with 5 focus points on leadership and 9 social attribute. I vassal up with a kingdom by day 50 and lead an army of a single other companion party for the remainder of the playthrough.

Though it would make sense to gain leadership xp very slowly by leading your own party and additional leadership xp after each battle (win or lose)

Leadership levels a good speed IMO. You can get leadership 125 by day 300 with 5 focus points on leadership and 9 social attribute. I vassal up with a kingdom by day 50 and lead an army of a single other companion party for the remainder of the playthrough.

Though it would make sense to gain leadership xp very slowly by leading your own party and additional leadership xp after each battle (win or lose)
I'm glad it works with that investment, but 9 SOCIAL? That is a crazy playboy of a character! They should add a polygamy perk for him.

I'm glad it works with that investment, but 9 SOCIAL? That is a crazy playboy of a character! They should add a polygamy perk for him.
Lol, well, the political trader build can win the game - Charm, Leadership and Trade are all you need to win the game taking over all castles and towns (smithing helps for the $$ too).

I find combat heavy builds don't work too well in the late game as you can only do so much as a single person. Being able to attract and keep vassals, pay for peace, trade for fiefs, quickly hire (via capturing bandits and disciplining them into nobles) are far more useful than 300 bow or 300 long glaive.

It'd be a nice if renown/clan tier didn't have a cap so it would continue to add to party size of yourself and companions, would continue to add to the number of parties you can lead, was used in convincing vassals to join, keeping vassals from leaving. Then you would also gain more renown when you have high combat skills so that investing in combat skills is another viable strategy for late game.

I had wrote a similar post just about this https://forums.taleworlds.com/index...-per-level-and-more-scaled-for-damage.425122/

But since it's picking up here better. The disparity of combat skill/speed from early game to late game is atrocious. Makes zero sense why we swing so slow in the beginning and then "when" we reach a decent level, the game normalize, followed by late game we can potentially become sword master gods. Everything should really be scaled to an average with a small but noticeable increase of attack speed to match level proficiency.

but back to the OP's topic. The rate of how we level up is a drag. For people saying "It should take hours on hours of leveling". This isn't an MMO, the grind should not be so dramatically real. It's a sandbox game, everything should be up for grabs and should be malleable with some good player influence. 40+ battles with looters is the longest dumbest grind to just get to a decent level. And that was with a bow correct? I hate to imagine if he was trying to raise his melee weapons skills. because then he would need some small company atleast to help not get overwhelmed by looters (from likely low athletics) and even still he probably only get a few hits in.

And forcing ever play style to be on horse back to cheese skill leveling is uggh gross. I played with banner tweaks and yes played the game with 5x the exp rate. (that was just because i got so sick of vanilla exp rate) and playing that way, it was actually fun to be on foot and play a melee captain leading from the front. my Athletics skill would stay pretty on par with my leveling troops during a charge attack, and i didn't need to cower behind my troops so much because i didn't run at the speed of a 6 year old anymore.

i think the problem is the learning limit. which kinda sucks since you stop getting experience.
and even with 10 attribute and 5 focus points in something, the learning limit is still lower than max. that's right, you still need to grind your ass with minimal experience gain despite maxing out the stats...

It is not about losing something from skill levels I never get. It is more about brutal limitation on skills and overall character progression, one of most important things in RPG games. not only for me, but for many many players. It take 400 batles with 4-5 kills to get to level 200 in bow skill, each battle will take, let's say 5 minutes. It will take 20 00 minutes, 33 hours, to grow up one skill. But I got you point, you think it is OK.
I thought the most important thing in a roleplaying game was the fact that you are limited, otherwise how do you even roleplay?

I thought the most important thing in a roleplaying game was the fact that you are limited, otherwise how do you even roleplay?
Having unlimited skill and character progression so players can roleplay any type of character they can think of is the point of 'roleplaying'. Being limited from growing further simply forces a player to either play in a singular certain way or play an extremely meta build. That is not roleplay, it's virtual grind labor similar in nature as working on a job or an extremely terrible MMORPG system mechanic.
The 'roleplay' you're thinking of is more close to a working person than a player actually enjoy playing a game. And no, the 'just use cheats and mods' card is not an excuse to shrug off the issue, it's needs to be in a base game not through a dev console or mods

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom