Combat realism in Brytenwalda the discussion

Users who are viewing this thread

Hister said:
I've tried with the alternative weapon speeds and damage - I think I prefer this version over the original since I can actually kill my enemy with one direct spear hit in the head whilst I needed 2 or 3 hits in the vanilla mod settings. The same was with javelins - I had to throw 3 javelins in a naked warrior before he died in vanilla (dunno how this compares to alternative items mod 'cos I haven't had the opurtunity to hit a naked warrior with same javelins).

Edit: Regarding the armor value - I've seen ordinary pants (with bare chest) having more points then full dress. I suppose this will be revised in the next incarnation of the mod?

I hope so. But as I am a modder myself, I know, that it is easy to loose the overview of all items, so things like this can easily happen.  :wink:

Yeah sure, things can slip through unnoticed.

Hey, have you already figured it out how will you resize the two-handed weapons?

It'd probably be a good idea to speed up the weapons a little. Dunno why this only occurred to me after I decided to go for a clean, fresh-start install of v1.332 Brytenwalda. I don't know anybody who can swing that slowly and still have any force at all behind it; allowing for modern physiology and all, my better-fed self should have superior weapons control (recovering from swinging as hard as I can to kill someone) than a Brytenwalda contemporary, but we should still swing about as fast and as hard; especially since for me martial arts is a hobby, not a means of not dying horribly in dark ages Britain.

Any news on this minimod? Its a huge turnoff for me to see that the combat in Brytenwalda is so unrealistic. I regret buying a speer cause it cant do anything at all.

Braxton said:
Any news on this minimod? Its a huge turnoff for me to see that the combat in Brytenwalda is so unrealistic. I regret buying a speer cause it cant do anything at all.

Are you sure you even know how to play?

You wouldn't use a 200+ reach spear thats slow as hell on anything but calvary charges because the enemy will have shields locked in your face and you'd be unable to thrust. Hastas are powerful enough, you just have to block and backpeddle raise your spear and take it to them when they charge. (Kick shield bash if they won't get off your nuts)

When they charge and you reverse charge back at them. (Back up to pull the spear back and then charge at them swinging when they are) I easily hit for 40's-50's

I like the way combat is in this Brytenwalda
With shield walls theres no swinging room so ye end up having to use a dagger at times

Guess thats why the romans had that small Gladius sword

Hmmmmmmmm I should try the roma mod then

Salute!

I love combat in Brytenwalda.

the only thing that maybe could be questionable is the power of throwing weapons
(is just a personal opinion)
now javelins and Throwing spears do the same damage (more or less) thrown as a polearm in hands, but i think that kinetik force and the transmission of it in the impact to an objetive is more efficient in a missile (specially if it is a heavy one like a throwing spear or a throwing axe)

i thought that once a shield suffers a heavy hit by a javelin (pilum, etc) it becomes something near to useless due to extra weight and unbalance produced by it mass.

conclusion: may be missiles should do bigger damage?  :?:
(and for example, reducing the number of javelins per pack to balance their effect in battle?)

the other point is how the weight affects the movement of troops.
in my opnion, maybe the movement penalties for kilogram of equipment should be increased a little. (or add a stamina/moral penalty due to weight)

Sorry for my english, and sorry if this topic has been discussed and solved before.

Radnik

now javelins and Throwing spears do the same damage (more or less) thrown as a polearm in hands, but i think that kinetik force and the transmission of it in the impact to an objetive is more efficient in a missile (specially if it is a heavy one like a throwing spear or a throwing axe)

Ok, we are looking this with new items  :grin:

the other point is how the weight affects the movement of troops.
in my opnion, maybe the movement penalties for kilogram of equipment should be increased a little. (or add a stamina/moral penalty due to weight)

Mm, I am thinking that if athletics skill influences the movement. If we put all the troops the same athletics skill (5 by example), with the current system of penalties should work as you say.

I do not want to add more penalties that could desiquilibrar game.

No te preocupes, tu inglés se entiende perfectamente.

VonTawast said:
...Wait what? There's still no download for this improvement?
We all hopeall suggestions will be included in the nest major patch. Here's to hoping. Idibil has misteriously avoided the question - it s either he is mysterious to not spoil the future dev diary or they don't intent to implement all the suggested changes.

Nordous said:
Adorno said:
VonTawast said:
...Wait what? There's still no download for this improvement?
It's more of a discussion. Not planned as separate download.

...neither implementing in game? :shock:

I'm not shure. Some things we descovered in this discussion are allready assumed by the game.

But my first idea was, because Idibil and some players wanted to keep the old Combat system, that I will change these
things we descover here in an optional "Add-on" or something.

But I haven't got much time and it doesn't make much sense to start modding this before Brytenwalda is ready.

Like Adorno said, we have anythings implement yet for 1.34, and initially, I think that it wont need add alternative items for 1.34.

However, Live_Erikson wanted do a alternative combat system, but I have him work hard with models  :mrgreen:

Well I just clearly have to agree with Erikson's first post, the slow weapon speed really degrades the mod for me, Brytenwalda would really be one of the best mods I've played if it just had more realistic weapon speed. However I'm just a randomer ain't I, and my sayings probably will have little effect.

VonTawast said:
Well I just clearly have to agree with Erikson's first post, the slow weapon speed really degrades the mod for me, Brytenwalda would really be one of the best mods I've played if it just had more realistic weapon speed. However I'm just a randomer ain't I, and my sayings probably will have little effect.

Yes they have. Because if I make an Add-on for Brytenwalda this will be defenitely the first thing I would change.  :grin:

Back
Top Bottom