Combat legitimately looks horrible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
To me other people might prefer more realistic sword fight or otherwise. But the thing is directional fighting is what makes a mb game. I think devs updated the system quite brilliantly. But there might be a need of some adjustments both in terms of animation and other physical issues (like speed of combat and hitboxes etc). I don't think we should bash devs for that tho with words like its been 8 years. We should point out the problem and if that isn't solved than thats on them.

Realism does not = Fun!

Kingdom come made that mistake, the combat is absolutely terrible! They are tweaking the combat in bannerlord, the only thing that is really bothering me, is 1 handed. That empty hand looks too stiff and awkward.

I really like the chained attack feature and the sounds. Would like to see more pommel strikes from players , kicks etc

Pichurin said:
i dont really care if is realistic or not, the game needs to be fun, if you want a realistic medieval experience you have...kingdom come?

2h combat looks fine by me, it can be improved i suppose, im not a expert duelist like gibby.

this, the directional, quick and skill-based combat was the thing which kept so many of us glued to the monitor for such a long time. Dont try to be any other game, stay true to what you do best

also screw realism, gameplay always comes first

To me other people might prefer more realistic sword fight or otherwise. But the thing is directional fighting is what makes a mb game. I think devs updated the system quite brilliantly. But there might be a need of some adjustments both in terms of animation and other physical issues (like speed of combat and hitboxes etc). I don't think we should bash devs for that tho with words like its been 8 years. We should point out the problem and if that isn't solved than thats on them.
AMEN!  :party:

Those Gibby vs Arni duels were sad to watch. I can see a few times Gibby trying to feint and it looking the exact same as when he swaps weapon direction normally. Where's the feinting disparity that turns a normal weapon switch into a move?

Cracks me up as well that you both resort to just trying to spam and land the 'spam combos' that are like feints but 10x less mechanically engaging or visually entertaining.

Remember guys: it is way more important for the game to be fun for the casual market in the West and China than it is for the game to be fun for people who've played Warband for 10+ years every day.

Besta said:
I always thought M&B multiplayer combat was stupid, it always looks like 2 people having an epileptic attack in front of one another, they just spam directions and then swing hoping to catch the other person who's also spamming directions of guard.

A more weighty, precise, slower combat (while still having the directional stuff of course), based on timing would be much better, but that's me, and I don't really care about MP at all anyway.

All I want is to get cool reactions and nice feedback when I swing a two handed battle axe at an npc's head.

Why is fast combat immediately opposed to weightiness? Warband combat at a high level looked pretty retarded, but I think the pacing of it was brilliant. It's just that with so few game mechanics the only way to get a hit in is to pull some crazy spine bending ****.

To me a fluid combat system is more important than a weighty one, but I don't see why you can't have both. The worst combat system is one that is clunky, with tons of delays and lots of artificial limitations.

The perfect combat system is fluid, fast-paced, and lethal. Simple enough that you can learn everything really fast while retaining enough depth that there are many tools to dispatch your opponents in a timely manner. 

Weight in combat is all about visual feedback. Currently, when you hit someone in the beta it gives no satisfaction, there's a small pool of blood coming out and that's about it. It feels like the characters are lego figures who hit each other with sticks.

SwadianBorn said:
I strongly disagree. It will be better than Warband because you can't spam anymore.

Spamming never worked on warband. There is always a counter to specific melee kind of players. And in bannerlord you can spam way more then in warband

Younes123 said:
SwadianBorn said:
I strongly disagree. It will be better than Warband because you can't spam anymore.

Spamming never worked on warband. There is always a counter to specific melee kind of players. And in bannerlord you can spam way more then in warband
I think I misused the word "spamming". I mean when a nude player with two handed sword fakes his attacks quickly then attacks.

I want to say that while it may not show leaps and bounds from what we had in Warband I still think it looks great for the game. I know everyone keeps referring to 8 years of development but we do have to think that there were set backs and changes to the fundamentals of the game. I am excited to get my hands on it and see how it compares while playing it myself! 

Lord Milky said:
Realism does not = Fun!

Kingdom come made that mistake, the combat is absolutely terrible! They are tweaking the combat in bannerlord, the only thing that is really bothering me, is 1 handed. That empty hand looks too stiff and awkward.

I really like the chained attack feature and the sounds. Would like to see more pommel strikes from players , kicks etc
Steongly disagree !
The best thing about KCD was the realistic swordfighting which took a lot of time to master.
THAT is the real HEMA swordfighting, and when you get the hang of it, it is 10x more satisfying than Warband, Bannerlord and Mordhau all together.

When you suck at it tho, it's just the most frustrating game ever. But i managed to figure it out and became skillfu, fortunately.

Piconi said:
Lord Milky said:
Realism does not = Fun!

Steongly disagree !
The best thing about KCD was the realistic swordfighting which took a lot of time to master.
THAT is the real HEMA swordfighting, and when you get the hang of it, it is 10x more satisfying than Warband, Bannerlord and Mordhau all together.

When you suck at it tho, it's just the most frustrating game ever. But i managed to figure it out and became skillfu, fortunately.

I didn't come to warband to have realism though. I didn't mind its wonky animations. I played because its was damn fun. PW for example had this "realism" to it didn't ruin the fun.

It's really not an opinion though.

I love KCD and it's a great game but what OGL said is completely correct.

In M&B you have the exact same combat mechanics available to you from the start to the end of the game. It's only up to you to get better at using them.

In KCD you straight up have to level far enough to unlock certain combat mechanics that let you win the game like all those unblockable nudges and kicks and combos. Even if you know how to perform them, you can't do it if you start a new game until you level up to 'unlock' it.

Yeah, and it doesn't matter how sick your comboing is, because if your Attack stat is lower than the opponent's Defense stat, then they do an unblockable master strike on you 50% of the time (or similar).

It's totally fine for an RPG and the combat is 10x better than something like Skyrim, but there's no mastery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom