Combat isn't innovative enough

Users who are viewing this thread

Csatádi

Grandmaster Knight
Bannerlord is focused on combat, it has some cool features, but it could have been more innovative.
Here you are a few things I expected from the game as improvements instead of a trade system. Does it worth to post them as suggestions? I doubt it.
These aren't even big things.

-Left-handed fighting. Not for the common soldiers, but the hero and some lords, ladies and companions could be left handed. This feature could have been bring joy to left-handed players and make tournament fights a bit different sometimes. It would require just to invert the usual animations so it's not a big thing.

-Center-grip shields. The buckler is a medieval thing, the very first fighting manual around 1300 already depicts its usage. However they could be in use from about 1000. They would be ideal in urban combat, sword and buckler fighting would perfectly fit the period.
The viking shield, or the early medieval shields were center grip shields as well. The game doesn't really have an early medieval vibe without them.

-Archery with both hands. The shooting angle on horseback is limited except you can switch the bow between your hands and shoot from the other side as well. Instead of shooting any bow from horseback, this would be more authentic and also very useful.

-Thumb draw animation for khuzait and aserai archers. Both for the troops and for the hero.

-Hindrance when shooting in gauntlets. Separate gauntlets for archers.

-Horse AI that stops before walls and dodges trees.

-Weight reducing also the speed of horses. Not only the barding, the equipment of the hero, but also the weight of the hero.

-Slings. Although they were not typical, they were still used in the Middle Ages. Other flexible weapons like flails, especially the two handed ones.

-Proper spears. They were useful.

-Groups keeping their formation. Currently they cannot advance with a single click while keeping the formation and archers form a square during battles after a while.

-Breaking lances when couching. I understand there should be some compromise, but lances broke, and you cannot pull out them from an opponent easily. Some breaking chance could have been a good compromise, 10% for example.

-The ability to change the weapons of my hero on the battlefield. Refilling arrows should be possible, it would be normal, even for troops. But troops shouldn't go back to the other side of the map of course.

-Small weapon slot. A fifth slot only for a small item like a dagger or a buckler. Or a sling, that's almost weightless. This weapon wouldn't be part of the weapon cycle, it could be drawn only by pressing 5.

-There should be a huge penalty for useless weapons. For example, swinging the infamous long glaive from horseback.

-Lone or a handful of cavalrymen not charging into infantry. Especially not the leaders.

-To be able to command the troops in sieges, especially when siege engines shoot, when the people with siege towers and the ram advance.

Wishful thinking; afaik, they still haven't 'fixed' that string position with the model of the noble bow since practically the first day of EA. If they don't 'care' about something benign as that, they won't bother to do any of the above.

I'd like to be able to disable chain attacks on the player character to make it more like warband. The enemy can do whatever it want' but I just want to use nice clean direction attacks.

-Archery with both hands. The shooting angle on horseback is limited except you can switch the bow between your hands and shoot from the other side as well. Instead of shooting any bow from horseback, this would be more authentic and also very useful.
As an archer myself, you don't use the bow with the other hand. It is useless if you are not capable of using it in your favorite hand. It can be done, but I do not think it is realistic.
-Horse AI that stops before walls and dodges trees. (This could be annoying when playing multiplayer where you want as much as control over movements.
For others, I kind of agree with you. But I understand the design decision. So no big deal for me.

As an archer myself, you don't use the bow with the other hand. It is useless if you are not capable of using it in your favorite hand. It can be done, but I do not think it is realistic.
-Horse AI that stops before walls and dodges trees. (This could be annoying when playing multiplayer where you want as much as control over movements.
For others, I kind of agree with you. But I understand the design decision. So no big deal for me.
I know you've elaborated but it's not useless at all, you just have to have enough mastery (training-perseverance) to pull it off, which widens your window of success.
For the game, I already commented it here... this kind of animations could be "unlocked" by getting certain mastery perks and T5-T6 mounted archer classes could use it.

Regardless of this, Talewordls is holding the pot and obviously they're not interested in all this.

@Csatádi
Except for a couple of nuances, I agree with most of them. BUT... a picture is worth a thousand words... a gif much more...

giphy.gif

At this point, don't bother... the situation is cut and dried... it was already tried at the time and nothing.

Back
Top Bottom