B Other Combat Animation Enhancement - Fifth Release with Trailer 15/11/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Excellent work on the polearms! looks very nice and the trailer is action movie quality!

Also, thanks for liking the trailer somewhere not on youtube. Sony says I am not allowed to watch it.

Thanks for the feedback!

Hancelot said:
when i see the onehander animation I have just one word! BOGEN!!!!!!!!
Bogen?  :razz:

kuauik said:
the animations look cool,but dont fit in the medieval world,it looks like japan or chinese technique :???:
Hmm, interesting. I pretty much just made them up myself to fit in the limitations of the game - I didn't base them on any particular techniques from Europe or Asia. What do you think might make them look more European?

trueten said:
Well, I didn't like new anim, but hell, that are some epic made videos.
Anything in particular you didn't like? I want them to suit everyone as much as possible.

Stuboi0 said:
This stuff is AMAZING! Dude, you should seriously get the guys who do animations at taleworlds to see this stuff!
Hah, not sure about that.

I think the developers weren't as enthusiastic about animation and realistic technique as I am though, and if they made M&B's animations more similar to mine, I wouldn't complain.

Next version will be released within two weeks.

They look great, but my one question is there any way to change animations for two handed axes or would they need to be a separate weapon category?

Thulgar said:
Just downloaded and watched the trailer
Very nice piece of work^^
The cuts are good and the idea of a chasing scene is awesome :grin:
mouthnhoof said:
Excellent work on the polearms! looks very nice and the trailer is action movie quality!
Also, thanks for liking the trailer somewhere not on youtube. Sony says I am not allowed to watch it.
Blobmania said:
just checked out the polearm vid. Totally friggin awesome.
DanAngleland said:
The polearm animations look fantastic, well done. The trailer was also very cool :wink:

Thanks everyone! And I'm available to work on trailers for other mods, too :wink:

thx man! I love it! and maybe im doing a video with it!

PS: Is it legal to use it multiplayer? i did, and i was like the best in the score board (42/7), and that never happened to me before! It seems my skills improve with that, or that it may be easier to kill with those animations!

Papa Lazarou said:
trueten said:
Well, I didn't like new anim, but hell, that are some epic made videos.
Anything in particular you didn't like? I want them to suit everyone as much as possible.
The 1h sword strike and the polearms (as kuaik said, it fits Japan more, but waving my berdiche like that...).

Outlawed said:
Hey Papa, what's next on your list?
Maybe horseback?
Not telling  :razz:

And I may not do much with horseback animations, since I've no idea what I'm doing with those.

Coristan said:
PS: Is it legal to use it multiplayer? i did, and i was like the best in the score board (42/7), and that never happened to me before! It seems my skills improve with that, or that it may be easier to kill with those animations!
I'm almost certain the hit-detection is based on the server, so any difference would be psychological. Glad you like them!

trueten said:
The 1h sword strike and the polearms (as kuaik said, it fits Japan more, but waving my berdiche like that...).
I still don't really know what you mean! If you could tell me specifically what the problem is (too fast, too circular, angles too steep, hands too high, whatever) and which attacks have the problem the most, that'd be great. Or you could post a video of the sorts of technique you think would be better. No worries if not though - thanks for the feedback in any case.

What's unnatural is the way the chambers look. Polearm chambers are different to sword ones - you don't swing the polearm using your arms, but rather use it more as a lever. Much more than a two handed sword even.

Your animations chamber it backwards and rotate the blade for some reason and it's completely unnecessary. Plus you hold the arms away from the body - you want to keep them close to the center axis which gives you better angle speed.

This waving and the gentle and rounded transitions make it look like some bogus chinese martial art ;P No, jokes aside. That's what makes it look asian, the smoothness and unnecessary fancy movement.
It's certainly not horrible, there's just a bit of that.

I attach some polearm videos which should hopefully show what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsJfBJtsSBM - naginata test cutting

here will be more videos as soon as I find them.

Don't know if you're aware of this thread, I'll use a couple of videos from there:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,78142.msg2026143.html#msg2026143

the movie bit from which Shik cut the example frames for polearms (and where a guy used a glaive) is deleted from YT, so I'll just post these ARMA halberds. Notice how they hold the shaft at the end, that's the difference between this and the naginata.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmNTKy8LJiY

I also recommend this. Watch the spear bit, that's done in speed. Of course it's with a bit of "movies" bias, but it's still pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OxQ-2gR1DU

Ah, thanks for the detailed reply. I think I have a better picture of the proper technique now.

I'll probably leave them as they are for now, but I'm thinking how to revise them in future versions if I get that far.

Merlkir said:
Your animations chamber it backwards and rotate the blade for some reason and it's completely unnecessary. Plus you hold the arms away from the body - you want to keep them close to the center axis which gives you better angle speed.
Yes I see what you mean here. I wonder how much technique would vary by the situation though. To take an extreme, let's say we have a fight between armoured soldiers in a battle - do you think there'd still be no chamber in that case? What about different levels of training? I'd guess an untrained person would use a chamber even if it was unnecessary.

I'm not particularly attached to the chamber by the way - just trying to decide when there would and wouldn't be one. Because of the restrictions of the game, I need the technique to fit an annoyingly wide range of situations.

Speaking of restrictions, I think they're partly responsible for the "Asian" look. I need the sideways strikes to come at a fairly shallow angle, and I also need an animation that makes sense for a hit and for a miss (so basically I need one that includes a recovery movement). The game also allows attacks to come from any direction, regardless of previous attacks - so I need animations that work for uni-directional spamming, even though that was probably rare for long polearms. Further, the game doesn't distinguish between long axes and other polearms - after some experimentation I decided that sliding hands weren't that appropriate for glaives, but you still see them in my animations because of weapon-type limitations.

Circular recovery movements are the solution I have for those problems at the moment.

This long rationale isn't meant to shut down criticism though - I'm very open to alteratives, whether they include circular recovery or not. In any case, I'll definitely think about removing the chamber from polearms, and tweaking the ready positions.

This waving and the gentle and rounded transitions make it look like some bogus chinese martial art ;P No, jokes aside. That's what makes it look asian, the smoothness and unnecessary fancy movement.
Well, any fancy movement was completely unintentional  :razz:

I designed them to be purely functional (so far as they can be given the limitations of the game-mechanics).

I also recommend this. Watch the spear bit, that's done in speed. Of course it's with a bit of "movies" bias, but it's still pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OxQ-2gR1DU
Thanks for the videos - I'll think carefully about the last one in particular. Very helpful post.

Outlawed said:
At least do the Horseback thrust.
It looks really weird lol.
It uses the one-handed spear thrust at the moment I think - is that what you're saying looks weird? I might do horseback stuff eventually.

Speaking of restrictions, I think they're partly responsible for the "Asian" look. I need the sideways strikes to come at a fairly shallow angle, and I also need an animation that makes sense for a hit and for a miss (so basically I need one that includes a recovery movement).

Yes! That's something I missed. It almost looks like the avatar is being careful not to hit any potential bystanders. :smile:

edit: I would keep these animations somewhere if you're going to tweak them more, because they're definitely nice and usable. And I don't mind the asian feel to them at all. Better this than "omg, european fighting be clumsy"

Back
Top Bottom