B Other Combat Animation Enhancement - Fifth Release with Trailer 15/11/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Progress report -

Finished another version of the polearm attack from the left. New one's a big improvemnt.  I also tried slowing down the sideways polearm attacks by about 10%, and I think that improved the feel quite a bit.

Youre Video trailer was real movie quality! after the mod is 100% ready, lets make an REAL movie with warband ok?

Thanks for the commends, everyone.

I've just been tinkering with thrust attacks for curved swords, and I could use some opinions on something. I got the thrusts for curved swords working, but the current low thrust animation doesn't suit the basic scimitar, as it's very curvy. I'd also like straight swords to use a high thrust attack (basically because I like the high thrust).

So I have a few options:

Option 1 - Give straight swords a high thrust attack, and give most curved swords a low thrust attack (by assigning them the one-handed spear thrust), leaving the basic scimitar with no thrust attack.

Option 2 - Give straight swords a low thrust (the one-handed spear thrust), and animate a special low thrust for curved swords that would be used by the basic scimitar and some others, hoping it looks decent.

Other options - ???

Ideas? (Note: I may flagrantly ignore the opinion of the majority.)

I maybe would go for option 1 since I also like high thrusts quite a bit^^
Completely disregarding wether its a curved or straight sword (or a spear), the blade should always be held in a horizontal way since if you hold it in a vertical way (I'm not talking about holding the sword parallel to your body, it's always somewhat 90° to your body. It's the angle of the blade itself I'm talking about) you can easily get stuck in between ribs and might even damage your blade.
with this concept in mind low thrusts would look more convincing even with curved blades. The extremely curved blades like the scimitar maybe shouldn't get a thrust since it's difficult to build up pressure on the tip of such a curved blade. If you really want them to have thrusts why don't try the high thrust? Just a thought (I don't know how it would look) but in theory for a high thrust to the face or throat with a curved sword you wouldn't need so much pressure since you wouldn't want stabbing through him but slicing up his face or arteries. Again thats just a thought^^

Papa Lazarou said:
I've just been tinkering with thrust attacks for curved swords, and I could use some opinions on something. I got the thrusts for curved swords working, but the current low thrust animation doesn't suit the basic scimitar, as it's very curvy. I'd also like straight swords to use a high thrust attack (basically because I like the high thrust).
To have different animations, you need curved and straight swords to have different weapon type, I believe. They are all one-handed weapon now.

Thanks for your thoughts, Thulgar. Right now the blade is angled vertically in the low thrust partly because it's aimed at the abdomen.

GetAssista said:
To have different animations, you need curved and straight swords to have different weapon type, I believe. They are all one-handed weapon now.
I think I can use the one-handed spear thrust for some of them by fiddling with the "capabilities" in the module_items.py file. Getting the speeds to work right might be tricky though.

I'd still angle the blade horizontally since ribs and pelvic bones and spine are not that far away if you aim for the abdomen.  Also since the small distance lower thrust is often angled slightly upwards the possibility of hitting an 'obstacle' is even higher. But I guess it's just some kind of security measure and not a 'must be'^^

Thulgar said:
I'd still angle the blade horizontally since ribs and pelvic bones and spine are not that far away if you aim for the abdomen.  Also since the small distance lower thrust is often angled slightly upwards the possibility of hitting an 'obstacle' is even higher. But I guess it's just some kind of security measure and not a 'must be'^^
Well I can't figure out how to rotate the blade of a sword so that it's horizontal on a low, underarm thrust, without bending my wrist. I could do it for spears (just change the grip), but swords would have to stay vertical. Maybe there's some fancy technique I haven't thought of though.

Nick_Mac said:
Papa Lazarou, can you add an a trigger for merchandise firearms in next release?
I have no idea what that means!

Edit: I hope to release the next version within 48 hours.

As you said this is very much depending on your grip^^
Sadly in movie fights and such these things are done wrong almost every time.
Very good vid on this topic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtNZQBc4RpE&feature=related
Topic of the video are the wrong edge to edge blocks practised in nearly every game, movie etc.
at 2min10sec there are some very good pictures of the right swordgrip (you could quarrel about if you need the thumb stretched out but that way it's easier to see how exactly he's holding the sword). With this grip you might notice stabbing with a horizontal angled blade is just natural.
there are many extremely helpful thoughts in the videos of these guys maybe you can use some of these concepts.
about the edge to edge thing here they done some vid about the consequences:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8UeKcsE3Nw&videos=W5pP1wF8LsM&feature=BF
hope this helps
about Nick_Mac
I think he wants you to include a possibility to buy firearms at the arms merchant in the cities...I must be wrong because this wouldn't make any sense judging from the mod description....or?

Papa Lazarou, it means that you can add 3 lines in module_triggers.py in section # Refresh Weapon sellers# after line
                        (troop_add_merchandise,reg(2),itp_type_bolts,2),

there is 3 lines:

(troop_add_merchandise,reg(2),itp_type_pistol,2),   
                        (troop_add_merchandise,reg(2),itp_type_musket,2),
                        (troop_add_merchandise,reg(2),itp_type_bullets,2),

Thulgar said:
As you said this is very much depending on your grip^^
Yeah, I've seen those videos before.

The issue here is that I'm using a one-handed weapon. I don't know how to rotate a one-handed sword in my grip mid-fight, and that's partly why the low thrust has the blade vertical, and why the one-handed blocks use the edge. Until I get a technique that allows me to block with the flat without my wrist feeling weak, the one-handers will use edge blocks. I'd rather damage the edge than my wrist. In any case, as I've said before, I will be using the flat for two-handed swords (because shifting the right hand is easy in that case).

Nick_Mac said:
Papa Lazarou, it means that you can add 3 lines in module_triggers.py in section # Refresh Weapon sellers# after line
                        (troop_add_merchandise,reg(2),itp_type_bolts,2),

there is 3 lines:

(troop_add_merchandise,reg(2),itp_type_pistol,2),   
                        (troop_add_merchandise,reg(2),itp_type_musket,2),
                        (troop_add_merchandise,reg(2),itp_type_bullets,2),
Why would I do that?

Release very close now!

Hurraay!!! :grin:
can't wait^^
about the 1h:I can't really see why you would want to rotate your swordgrip mid-fight? Blocking and attacking works just fine for me with this hand-position. Well, one wrist is too weak to static block a full forced two handed blow, but that's natural.  I have to admit I have no 1h sword next to me to try this out but wielding a 2h one (or a 1 1/2 sword, a medium sized axe) with just one hand in a partner drill did work just fine for me (except for the obvious problems of these weapons being too big and too heavy for one hand=>Aim of the drill was just to get used to the sword and it's weight and behaviour and to refine the block and attack moves=>so nothing too serious, merely movement training). But since I have no vid at hand just now to make this visible to you I can just advise you to try this out if you have the possibility and haven't already and if you still want to stay with edge blocks for the 1h at the moment until you have seen a way to properly do a flat on edge 1h then I'm okay with that.(phew...monster sentence^^)
thanks anyway for you hard work and open mindedness :wink:

Back
Top Bottom