B Other Combat Animation Enhancement - Fifth Release with Trailer 15/11/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Longshaft

Sergeant at Arms
Dude, for a long time I have been wanting people to create a mod like this, like I know there is mods for diff animations but this is the one I wanted, which looks at more then how you swing but how attacks are connected etc. :grin: keep up the excellent work.
 
I might post the next one in slow motion, yeah.

I think I'll move on to other attacks for now, since this one is starting to grate on my brain, and I'd say it's mostly adequate (though not what I'd put in a release version - fear not). So I reckon I'll start on other one-handed attacks. It'll be good to see how they all blend together. And after that I can get to the two-handed sword and polearm animations which are the main reason for the mod.

I'll be doing most of my animating on the weekend, so expect another animation by Monday.
 
New one-handed thrust animation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u7jG8Q-cgI

I don't consider it final, but I thought I'd throw it up in case anyone had any comments. I'm pretty happy with the technique, but the pacing might be a bit off, and I hope to improve how it blends into other attacks in the next draft.

On another note, I should say that I plan not only to release these animations as a mod, but also to make them fully available for other modders to include in their projects (as long as I'm credited). Also, if anyone wants animations from the videos of the work in progress (unlikely :razz:), just send me a PM and I'll send you the animation files and instructions on how to implement them.
 

Aeon

Squire
Thrust animation is good (mention to trunk,legs,and feet motion : very natural)
But the sword placement is way too high,
it should not be above the shoulder to utilize full arm's muscle strenght. With elbow at the same height than hand, aswell for stance and motion action.

2vjbyfq.jpg

2954w86.jpg
 

Merlkir

Papa Lazarou said:
Here's the second draft of the one-handed attack from the right - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psZaxzdAxvs

I think I might need a third draft to tidy up the actual cutting part and change some hand positions, but I think I've solved the robot problem, and I'm quite happy with the overall feel of this one.

Compare how much the attack stretches to the side and how much the backhand does. If you're attacking someone right in front of you, it'll work. If you want to use it for someone more to the side, it's impossible.
 
Aeon said:
Thrust animation is good (mention to trunk,legs,and feet motion : very natural)
But the sword placement is way too high, ...
Thanks for the comment. Do you mean the sword is too high in the starting pose, or during the attack? When the arm is fully extended, the swordhand is directly in front of the shoulder in this animation, but maybe it doesn't get in front of the shoulder early enough. I'll definitely take this on board for the next draft.

Night Ninja said:
Wouldn't it make more sense to thrust from the centre?
I'm not quite sure what you mean, but I chose a high position so it would be easy to see coming, and would blend smoothly with the other attacks. Though now that I think about it, I might test out a lower position when I get to animating the one-handed spear thrusts - I can just copy them over to the sword to see how the blending looks, and then animate a proper low thrust for the sword if I decide that's a good idea.

Merlkir said:
Compare how much the attack stretches to the side and how much the backhand does. If you're attacking someone right in front of you, it'll work. If you want to use it for someone more to the side, it's impossible.
Yeah, I think so too. For the next draft I'll try a much shallower angle for the cut, and make it longer.
 

Aeon

Squire
Papa Lazarou said:
Thanks for the comment. Do you mean the sword is too high in the starting pose, or during the attack? When the arm is fully extended, the swordhand is directly in front of the shoulder in this animation, but maybe it doesn't get in front of the shoulder early enough. I'll definitely take this on board for the next draft.

Ideally, the blade tip should match with sight. Because this is an accurate attack wich require to aim.
So yes I meant starting pose, assuming the extension strike follow it : with arm/elbow/shoulder (almost) on the same line.

2sab9qf.jpg


But I don't know if it might cause too trouble to interpolate such pose with previous slash (high) ones ?
Just try your best :smile:
 

ares007

Master Knight
M&BWB
This looks great!

Merlkir said:
Papa Lazarou said:
Here's the second draft of the one-handed attack from the right - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psZaxzdAxvs

I think I might need a third draft to tidy up the actual cutting part and change some hand positions, but I think I've solved the robot problem, and I'm quite happy with the overall feel of this one.

Compare how much the attack stretches to the side and how much the backhand does. If you're attacking someone right in front of you, it'll work. If you want to use it for someone more to the side, it's impossible.

Personally, I would prefer a more forward-focused attack. It would require more precision in duels (and duelists are generally more elitist and prefer more "advanced" gameplay), but also make group fighting more natural so you don't cut into people to the sides you didn't want to.
 
Thanks, ares. I think it will still be more forward-focused than the attacks in Native, because the weapon won't move far out to the sides. Even when I make it shallower and longer, the main part of the cut will still start and end well in front of the character (unlike the Native animation, which starts and ends beside the character). That's the hope anyway.

Aeon said:
Ideally, the blade tip should match with sight. Because this is an accurate attack wich require to aim.
So yes I meant starting pose, assuming the extension strike follow it : with arm/elbow/shoulder (almost) on the same line.
At this point I'd say I plan to keep the high starting pose, because I want it to look like a position one could stand in for a good while (like a fencing guard). I might try revising the technique for the actual attack though, so that the sword drops into the shoulder line earlier in the movement. I think that might actually help the blending to look more natural as well. Thanks a lot for the feedback on this - good food for thought.
 

ares007

Master Knight
M&BWB
You could make the stabbing position an "ochs" (essentially what you have, but with the sword closer to head level). This is a guard in Renaissance fencing and can be held for a long period of time.


Oh, and another thing to consider: how will these chambers and end positions look with chamber blocking?
 
Yeah I was going for an ochs-esque position, and I think I will move the sword a bit closer to the head in the next draft.

As for chamber-blocking, I expect most of the ready positions will be pretty much alright if you chamber-block from the neutral position. If instead you attack, miss, and then immediately circle into another attack which is a chamber-block, it will quite probably look ridiculous (the attack would bounce off thin air). At least for one-handed weapons. I don't really think that will be a big problem though, since I expect it's very rare for someone to make a chamber-block immediately after missing another attack.

I have some vague ideas for it, but in the end chamber-blocking might end up looking a bit worse in my mod than it does in Native. With the current mechanics, I'm not sure there's any way to have both sequential attacks and chamber-blocking look nice. But who knows - it might end up looking fine, from the neutral position at least.
 
New One-handed Block Positions

Here they are: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgssTkg-GfY

Just single-frame positions at the moment. I'm mostly happy with them, apart from the low block. God only knows how to make that look any good (so if you are amongst my watchers, Lord, feel free to make suggestions). The idea for that low block position is that I'd animate a short, rising punch-like movement which would play when an incoming thrust was blocked. I've considered putting in similar movements for all the blocks, but I won't be attempting that for a while.

I'm also not quite sure how suitable these block positions are for things like maces and axes. I think they work tolerably and it might not matter too much since those weapons are rarely used without a shield, but maybe there are other positions that would work for all one-handers.

I also made a video which shows most of my recent animations in a fight. Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CIOXJgCrJI

Next I plan to animate a one-handed cut from the left, another draft of the one-handed cut from the right, and maybe some blocks for the two-handed swords.
 
Papa Lazarou said:
I'm not quite sure what you mean, but I chose a high position so it would be easy to see coming, and would blend smoothly with the other attacks. Though now that I think about it, I might test out a lower position when I get to animating the one-handed spear thrusts - I can just copy them over to the sword to see how the blending looks, and then animate a proper low thrust for the sword if I decide that's a good idea.

I was thinking more of a 'pflug'-esque position that thrusts into langort. The high thrust is suboptimal for range. :razz:

Though yeah, the high thrust does blend in a lot better with the current animations.

EDIT: Also, new blocks look great, they look a lot like sabre guards. I especially like the left block, resembles a hanging guard. :grin:

EDIT 2: Would it be possible to animate a beat to the sword for the low block?
 
Top Bottom