Combat and Other Criticisms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Alright, I have played Bannerlord for about 15 hours now, and have nearly 500 hours in warband. Most of these hours in warband come in single player form.
Combat feels most of the time incredibly nice. Weapons feel very strong and damage seems well deserved but their are certain aspects that just completely ruin it for me.
So in order to vent my frustration and give some feedback about my own personal experience, I will be detailing what I have experience.

1. Spears feel amazing when they land, especially against cav. Using it against infantry feels very bad though, the range seems to be very limited despite the model being quite long. Many times I have stabbed into somebody and yet received no hit, not even a register. These are not edge hits where it could of hit, but rather medium range hits where I directly see the spear model go through an enemy.

2. Cavalry is played commonly, but this is more a problem of communication and player rather than something one can fix.

3. Archery and skirmisher type throwables feel unresponsive and have a tendency to "lag".

4. Player models not correctly corresponding to the action taking place. This is one major one I see more often than the rest. Archery is where I find this the most and nearly never with cav.
The model of an enemy drawing back the bow will not change to where he is aiming, resulting in an arrow flying sideways out of the model towards the target.

5.  Two handed weapons are able to do very wide swings. Usually this is not the issue, but if someone cranks up their DPI and sensitivity, it results in swings that seem impossible and are essentially 360 degrees of two handed death.

6. Short characters and tall characters. They genuinely play differently and I found as a taller player, it was harder to fight against the shortest characters. Conversely, I found that as a short player I am able to duck under swings that a taller player would not. While these make complete sense based on reality it is still an odd choice to have a height slider.

7. Collision needs work, cavalry are sometimes stopped by pebbles or sometimes can walk right huge obstacles.

8. Shield coverage. When approaching an archer, with most shields it is incredibly difficult to cover your whole body. Archery shots do roughly 20-50 damage depending on armor and place of damage. This is more of a nitpick since archery really is easily countered by cav. I do wish that archery shots did less damage to legs and arms though.

I agree for the Spears. That happened to me every game i play. I love long Spears but you feel like you're using a short sword. Even if you hit the enemy he dont reveive any damage. And despite its a long spear you dont have good range with it..

That's true.

For inf, it is optional to use javelin and up attack in melee.

Although the damage of this version of b0.4.3 has been modified, but before I used it like this, I could often deal more than 80 damage to enemies with 40 armor.

1. Disagree, it is good for cav yes, but I feel a little overpowered for infantry. If you have someone who knows even slightly how to use a spear on foot against other infantry, you're slaughtered.
2. Cav is fine imo, could be made a bit faster but most OP stuff about them is fixed. And I see much less people using cav nowadays.
3. 95% of the time it is because of the servers, for example currently servers are a bit ****ed, and I assume because of the holidays that is why they haven't been fixed yet.
6. I like the height slider, perhaps not having it in official servers or sliming the adjustments to the height drastically for the official servers would help.
7. Mapping issues, nothing more.

Almostharvestingseason said:
  Alright, I have played Bannerlord for about 15 hours now, and have nearly 500 hours in warband. Most of these hours in warband come in single player form.
Combat feels most of the time incredibly nice. Weapons feel very strong and damage seems well deserved but their are certain aspects that just completely ruin it for me.
So in order to vent my frustration and give some feedback about my own personal experience, I will be detailing what I have experience.
1. Spears feel amazing when they land, especially against cav. Using it against infantry feels very bad though, the range seems to be very limited despite the model being quite long. Many times I have stabbed into somebody and yet received no hit, not even a register. These are not edge hits where it could of hit, but rather medium range hits where I directly see the spear model go through an enemy.

It's l2p issue. When played right, spears are deadly, and are good enough to 1vs1 against other infantry too.

2. Cavalry is played commonly, but this is more a problem of communication and player rather than something one can fix.

They dominate TDM.

3. Archery and skirmisher type throwables feel unresponsive and have a tendency to "lag".

This patch broken it to be fair.

4. Player models not correctly corresponding to the action taking place. This is one major one I see more often than the rest. Archery is where I find this the most and nearly never with cav.
The model of an enemy drawing back the bow will not change to where he is aiming, resulting in an arrow flying sideways out of the model towards the target.

This patch broken ranged a bit.

5.  Two handed weapons are able to do very wide swings. Usually this is not the issue, but if someone cranks up their DPI and sensitivity, it results in swings that seem impossible and are essentially 360 degrees of two handed death.

Yep, animations problem, also with huge amount of time to feint.

6. Short characters and tall characters. They genuinely play differently and I found as a taller player, it was harder to fight against the shortest characters. Conversely, I found that as a short player I am able to duck under swings that a taller player would not. While these make complete sense based on reality it is still an odd choice to have a height slider.

Yep, short all the time. I wish playing tall would give you more reach, and possibly bit more speed.

7. Collision needs work, cavalry are sometimes stopped by pebbles or sometimes can walk right huge obstacles.

True.

8. Shield coverage. When approaching an archer, with most shields it is incredibly difficult to cover your whole body. Archery shots do roughly 20-50 damage depending on armor and place of damage. This is more of a nitpick since archery really is easily countered by cav. I do wish that archery shots did less damage to legs and arms though.

You can protect with dwarf and good shield, and good footwork, but archery is strong.

Kabukiman said:
Would be cool if being short let you duck from hits for easily but reduced your FOV or something.
Yeah.  Or you are short so your hitbox is reduced but you deal less damage or something like that. I was wondering that being short is only an advantage

Back
Top Bottom