Combat AI

Users who are viewing this thread

Bannerlord really needs a complete overhaul for it's battle ai imo. Just today on a 495 vs 80 battle i've commanded my troops to advance and had my cavalry follow me, u know basic maneuvers. Everything was fine until i saw a completely red kill feed. What happened was 215 of my footmen was chasing a single cavalry all across the map (he was a lord i guess), and my 40-50 archers were getting killed by enemy troops. YES i didn't pay enough attention on what was my troops doing but really, why did 215 footmen run across the battle map? At least some of em could charge the enemy footmen. Instead of going after a 215:1 fight, mb have 10 guys going after them and the rest would fight their primary foe. One easy solution i can think of is; ordering each troop to attack a certain enemy troops (excluding lords!). If i can order my infantary to charge enemy infantary, whole battle manegement will be a lot better. It's 2020 and it's just silly that combat ai is that trash.

If you charge your infantry then they will go chase nearest target (or formation) and it can as well be lone lord on a horse. You either need to command your infantry properly and pay attention, or you need to use delegate command to sergeant instead if you want your infantry to use full AI.

AI in the game is actually fairly good, much better then it was in the Warband. Commands and their effects are just not well explained right now.

It's 2020 and it's just silly that combat ai is that trash.

The sentiment always cracks me up. AI has not been evolving at the trajectory seen in the early 2000's and in most cases has gotten worse. The reason is its not a cost effective side of development and even games that really, really try to invest and pull off special AI - i guarantee you -look in their forums and you will see dozens of "This AI Sucks A**!" type threads. This tends to make DEVs say "F* it", why bother trying..

The best we can hope for is an AI that can at least at times do interesting and non predictable things (in a good way) - THAT at least is a worthwhile AI.

If you charge your infantry then they will go chase nearest target (or formation) and it can as well be lone lord on a horse. You either need to command your infantry properly and pay attention, or you need to use delegate command to sergeant instead if you want your infantry to use full AI.

AI in the game is actually fairly good, much better then it was in the Warband. Commands and their effects are just not well explained right now.
Thanks for the reply, i'll do that sergeant in charge thing instead of sending them away. My point with the "ai is trash" was that while their archers were getting slaughtered, they were chillin out there :grin:.
The sentiment always cracks me up. AI has not been evolving at the trajectory seen in the early 2000's and in most cases has gotten worse. The reason is its not a cost effective side of development and even games that really, really try to invest and pull off special AI - i guarantee you -look in their forums and you will see dozens of "This AI Sucks A**!" type threads. This tends to make DEVs say "F* it", why bother trying..

The best we can hope for is an AI that can at least at times do interesting and non predictable things (in a good way) - THAT at least is a worthwhile AI.
Ty for the reply. My point with the "ai is trash" was that while their archers were getting slaughtered, they were chillin out there.

Back
Top Bottom