Colorful textures for 1.003

Users who are viewing this thread

WestNordOst

Recruit
Update to Version 1.1 on 07.10.08
The update to 1.1 just contains adaptions to Version 1.003. A few texture files have been edited by the developers for the newest version.

Description:
Two years ago http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,12818.0.html, I created colorful textures for M&B since I found the original ones were too grey. Now, these textures are already long outdated thats why I updated this pack for 9.60. While I have the impression that M&B became less foggy over the time, the vegetation for example stayed in this almost blue-ish color. So in this pack, I focussed on the landscape, the plants, the trees etc.
Almost everything is darker now and has more contrast. I corrected the hue of some textures, especially of the trees and plants.

I'd be very happy about your comments and feedback. Compare the colors with a look out of your window (or a walk in the park) yourself.

Download link:
https://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?cid=10&id=820

How to install:
Just unpack the ZIP into your textures folder and overwrite the original textures. You can make a backup copy of the original Textures folder before if you like.

FAQ:
Will it run slower?
I just modified the original textures in color and contrast. So: Nope.

Some screenshots:

The only way a texture pack can hamper your performance is if it increases the size of textures. By the looks of things, WestNordOst has worked mainly with the hue and colour etc, without making higher resolution textures (correct me if I'm wrong, West,  :wink:).

I just came on to the site 30 seconds ago to have a look for a texture pack because I was getting sick of the wierd looking trees, and lo and behold, this is on the main page. Nice one, West!

Inukshuk

I use graphical enchancement too, and I like it, but those nice colourfull, uhm colours  :mrgreen: do appeal more to me.

You should write how to install the mod.

I'm guessing I just place all the files in the textures folder.
But still - even if I'm right - not all people know this.

I hope it works. Going to try it out now  :razz:

EDIT: Okay, tried it ... Beautiful, just beautiful  :smile:

The install is how I described it - just remember to make a copy of the native textures.
If I don't experience any severe drops in performance, I'm going to stick with it.

Again - really nice work!

Yeah, just unpack the files into the Textures directory. Before that, you could backup the original textures.

The textures do not hamper the performance since they are the original textures in different colors. I didn't know anything about the Graphical Enchancement Mod before, so, no.

I'll have to download this and have a try, the screenshots look very promising I must admit.

I like it more than Graphica Enhancment 2.0 becouse when i play GE2.0 i get depresion to much gray colors :smile: So West grats for making great mod :smile:

Installation is easy but i did copy of old texures not sure why :smile:

WestNordOst said:
The textures do not hamper the performance since they are the original textures in different colors.
That's also my experience - I've tried it for a few hours of playing now.
Some impressions:
I'm quite impressed how a little fine tuning of colours can look so good.
Especially the world/campaign map has more depth and is more interesting to look at.
It's a little darker at night (problem for me - even with maximum brightness it's hard to see). But what the hell, the night is supposed to be dark  :smile:

It's a little darker at night (problem for me - even with maximum brightness it's hard to see). But what the hell, the night is supposed to be dark 

I'm glad, since I've always maintained that nights are too light.

This is excellenct - well done again. I'd say that Graphical Enhancement Mod is for making the game a little darker and possibly more realistic (not to say that this isn't realistic), whilst this mod really brings out colour more, allowing you to really immerse yourself perhaps. I've only just got out of bed, so I don't really know what I just said.  :???:

Hmm, especially the world map is the thing I dont like. Thats because there is still very little variation of textures on it, so only textures with little contrast look ok on there. Look at the intersection between steppe and plains for example. I hope the developers add a bit more detail in the future so that the textures with hihg contrast can look good.
On my screen the night is almost too light, do you have a CRT?

Right now Im at work and I must say that the plants and grass look a bit bluer now than on the 5th screen.

WestNordOst said:
Hmm, especially the world map is the thing I don't like. That's because there is still very little variation of textures on it, so only textures with little contrast look ok on there.
But that's also how it is in native, so I still think this mod - only by changing colours - looks much better.
But I agree: the transition between steppes/plains/snow are a little too abrupt.

WestNordOst said:
On my screen the night is almost too light, do you have a CRT?
I used to have a CRT screen where everything could be made really bright.
Now I have LCD where everything is dark (even on max brightness)

(If my LCD screen wasn't 22" widescreen and had a little better looking colours I would switch to my old CRT  :???: )

Excellent work. Two things that can be improved:
- Night is too dark. Fighting bandits in the forest at night, I literally couldn't see where they were and had to rely on my troops.
- Plants are a bit too bright. Trees and shrubs stand out from the rest of the world and look more like they belong in a jungle than a forest.

Other than that, very good graphical enhancement for us with not too great PCs. Thanks!

graindk4.jpg
:grin:

This is really nice. Great work man.

The best looking part to me is right when the sun is setting and you go into battle. The colors really jump out at you in that instance.

Thank you for your feedback, Mountainblade! I really appreciate that! :smile:

Other than that, very good graphical enhancement for us with not too great PCs. Thanks!
Oh? Why is that? The only thing I reckon he can have done is to increase the resolution for some textures. Shouldn't you be able to scale down the resolution of the textures?

- Night is too dark. Fighting bandits in the forest at night, I literally couldn't see where they were and had to rely on my troops.
Odd. I made the opposite impression. I only always blamed the fullmoon nights (which is every night). All textures are darker now, so the landscape should be indeed darker now. Unfortunately I don't know where to change the light and color of day, night, dawn, sunset etc. To set these colors to another value would be a nice addition to the mod. Is it possible? Anyone?

- Plants are a bit too bright. Trees and shrubs stand out from the rest of the world and look more like they belong in a jungle than a forest.
The wheat is indeed too light or the ground is too grey. And some bushes too. But could this be that it mainly happens because you selected to have no "Realistic shadows on plants" instead of quick or full shadows?
See without shadow: (in the left corner, there is shadow on the plants)
mb111gg9.jpg

Back
Top Bottom