Collection of historical ranks

Users who are viewing this thread

I imagine he was held in higher regard because he (Occasionally) made sure men and equipment didn't just mysteriously disappear.

Other than that, he had no (combat) role, or at least not one that can be replicated in NW. (I mean, if there's anyone who wants to just do paperwork, and not go into battle, go right ahead.)

Logically, it should be 'above' caporal... simply because multiple ranks being on the same line would look silly.

TheBoberton said:
I imagine he was held in higher regard because he (Occasionally) made sure men and equipment didn't just mysteriously disappear.

Other than that, he had no (combat) role, or at least not one that can be replicated in NW. (I mean, if there's anyone who wants to just do paperwork, and not go into battle, go right ahead.)

Logically, it should be 'above' caporal... simply because multiple ranks being on the same line would look silly.

I like you(r thinking)

Guys can you help me to understand what difference betwene those : Musketier/Füsilier/Gemeiner ?
Well im guessing the translation but im not quite shure how those words were used to identify the difference between troops.
And which one is probably better to use for lineinfantry.

Grenadier for Grenadiers and Füsilier for the normal austrian line.
Musketier is not and austrian rank. And for the "Gemeiner" it`s just a general term for the lowest soldiers.

Kolonel - Colonel
Luitenant-Kolonel - Lieutenant Colonel
Majoor - Major
Kapitein - Captain
Adjudant-Majoor - ??? i dont know xD
Luitenant - Lieutenant
Onder-Luitenant - Sub Lieutenant
Adjudant - ??? is the second guy and help of a higher commander
Sergeant-Majoor - Staff Sergeant
Sergeant - Sergeant
Fourrier - Corporal
Korporaal - Lance Corporal
Soldaat/Fusilier/Grenadier - Private

Thank you kalitorian, short and very informative  :smile:

And what about 'Infanterist', we currently use this one, is it legit?

Infanterist is the same as Gemeiner...I wouldn`t use it cause it`s a more general term.
I would simply replace it with "Füsilier".
And btw the austrian army had no "Leutnant" they had an "Oberlieutnant" and an "Unterlieutnant".

Well i think i'll give it to my men to decide which one they want to see.
"Unterlieutnant"? Then Skass should fix his list. Thx again.

Fourrier - Corporal

tumblr_m5wpde0WEZ1rni6nlo6_500.jpg

Skass, you could at least change the translation to clerk-corporal or even quatermaster-corporal. He's not first class.aa

I think you're translating that literally...quartermaster is in English what a fourrier is in French, if you seperate it (quarter master) then it has a different meaning. That would be boss of a quarter ? Or room ? In french it's called chef de chambre

Therein lies the difficulty in translation. In US military parlance, for example, all supply personnel can be called quartermasters, and most are NCOs, not officers. In the Napoelonic French army though, it may be quite different. In the Imperial Russian Army, a quarter-master was an officer that oversaw intelligence gathering.  :shock:

In the French army, a quatermaster was a captain(or 1st lieutenant, I'm not sure) handling all the goods and spare kits of a battalion.

Sergeant was spelt Serjeant at the time for the British and they had the rank of Lance Corporal between Private and Corporal; eg Private - Lance Corporal - Corporal - Serjeant etc.

Back
Top Bottom