Coding in Linux

Users who are viewing this thread

DanyEle

Grandmaster Knight
Well, linux is definitely a more programming-friendly OS than Windows and i'm finding myself more comfortable with working on it rather than on Windows. By the way, what program(s) do you guys use on Linux for coding? Something similar to Notepad++ would be amazing, since i've been using it for about a year and i've not found something as handy and versatile as it. Ah, before i forget, how can i run the batch file for compiling files in Linux?

Gedit, Geany, Kate, Sublime Text, Notepad++ under Wine works decently fine as well.

About how to run it on the shell, something like:
Code:
## copy it to a file called build
$ cp build_module.bat build

## set it as executable
$ chmod +x build

## edit it with whatever
$ <my_editor_of_choice> build

And turn it into something like this, haven't tested it tho:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
# the -B parameter tells it to not to generate pyc/o files, -OO forces an optimized build
python  -B -OO process_init.py
python  -B -OO process_global_variables.py
python  -B -OO process_strings.py
python  -B -OO process_skills.py
python  -B -OO process_music.py
python  -B -OO process_animations.py
python  -B -OO process_meshes.py
python  -B -OO process_sounds.py
python  -B -OO process_skins.py
python  -B -OO process_map_icons.py
python  -B -OO process_factions.py
python  -B -OO process_items.py
python  -B -OO process_scenes.py
python  -B -OO process_troops.py
python  -B -OO process_particle_sys.py
python  -B -OO process_scene_props.py
python  -B -OO process_tableau_materials.py
python  -B -OO process_presentations.py
python  -B -OO process_party_tmps.py
python  -B -OO process_parties.py
python  -B -OO process_quests.py
python  -B -OO process_info_pages.py
python  -B -OO process_scripts.py
python  -B -OO process_mission_tmps.py
python  -B -OO process_game_menus.py
python  -B -OO process_simple_triggers.py
python  -B -OO process_dialogs.py
python  -B -OO process_global_variables_unused.py
python  -B -OO process_postfx.py

#don't really needed anymore
rm *.pyc

echo \n______________________________\nScript processing has ended.
read -n1 -rp "Press any key to exit. . ."

Vim and Git are all I have needed apart from Python, which is pretty much a given. Vim is probably not worth the trouble unless you are used to command line interfaces, but I recommend using Git or a similarly powerful tool such as Mercurial to store and manage your code changes; it would probably take some effort to learn unless you already use something similar with computer programming, but if you are doing more than a trivial project it would be worthwhile in the long run. If you use a KDE desktop, Kate isn't a bad GUI editor.

A bit off-topic, but isn't setting up a Linux only to program on it a liability rather than a benefit? I'm likely to be unable to play some games on Linux, and learning all these commands required to effectively use my environment would present me with an overhead of more information to learn.
So, what I'm asking is, why would I move to Linux for the purposes of modding M&B? Seems to have too many downsides.

Lumos said:
A bit off-topic, but isn't setting up a Linux only to program on it a liability rather than a benefit? I'm likely to be unable to play some games on Linux, and learning all these commands required to effectively use my environment would present me with an overhead of more information to learn.
So, what I'm asking is, why would I move to Linux for the purposes of modding M&B? Seems to have too many downsides.

Linux is fun.

I code with gEdit most of the time. I've installed some plugins which make it almost as comfortable as notepad++. I just can't get the session saver working.  :sad:

Other than the not-working session saver, gEdit is perfect for me.

By the way, if you don't know how to run the build_module.bat, you need Wine. If you already have it, open your terminal, wineconsole cmd, and execute the bat in that Command Prompt.

Lumos said:

Some of us only have Linux in our computer, sire. I only have Ubuntu Quantal installed in my notebook, and I always use it to play Mount&Blade. It works properly, and therefore I don't see a reason why I should move to Windows just to play M&B, seeing all the downsides Windows has.

Sky Warden said:
Some of us only have Linux in our computer, sire. I only have Ubuntu Quantal installed in my notebook, and I always use it to play Mount&Blade. It works properly, and therefore I don't see a reason why I should move to Windows just to play M&B, seeing all the downsides Windows has.
Good reason, I understand.

How about Battlefield 3 and 4? Do they work properly? :razz:

Lumos said:
Good reason, I understand.

How about Battlefield 3 and 4? Do they work properly? :razz:

I am no good with ranged weapons but bows, my friend. I don't play those games.  :mrgreen:

Hmm... by the way, if running the .bat with Wine doesn't work, from what I've read in the documentation, I believe that we can always execute the process_*.py files manually to build the module system. The only thing to remember is that we must use python 2.7 to run the scripts. I doubt python 3 will work. I will try it right away.

Back
Top Bottom