[Co-op] Full Invasion: Osiris

Users who are viewing this thread

Maroon

Grandmaster Knight
Introduction
The next chapter in Invasion mods, Full Invasion: Osiris is a brand new Invasion mod, brought to you by the developers of Full Invasion 2. Two years in the making, Full Invasion: Osiris is a cooperative multiplayer mod in which a small group of players fights off one of several increasingly powerful invasions of bots.
Full Invasion: Osiris aims to take the Invasion genre of mods to the next level, with a completely new rewritten invasion script, several diverse factions to choose from, each with a level of quality unseen in Full Invasion mods.

Why the new module?
As mentioned before, Osiris is being developed by the same developers as FI2. Full Invasion 2 "changed hands" about 3 years ago, as the developers of the mod no longer wanted to continue development. A new group of developers took over, and continued work on the mod in two major updates, called Amber and Amber 2.0. The new developers felt like the core features of the mod could be improved upon, and did not agree with some of the mod's design principles. As the mod is completely built on these core features, however, changing them would mean having to rewrite vast amounts of the mod
So, we decided to instead create a completely new module, based on our vision of what Full Invasion could be. We started completely anew, not keeping any of the codebase of FI2, only taking scraps of assets and scripts where they fitted in our design. We flipped FI2's design principle of quantity over quality to quality over quantity. Where FI2 has a lot of map and factions, most with not a whole lot of depth, Osiris focuses on a smaller amount of factions and maps, but each of vastly greater quality.

So what's different?
  • New Invasion system
    As mentioned before, the invasion system has changed completely. Where before, each wave would spawn a large group of random bots from all available spawn points, waves are now divided into groups. Each group has a standard composition that makes that group a coherent whole. Each wave spawns several groups, and each map has multiple avenues of attack for the bots to use, demanding more situation awareness and cooperation between players. The randomness involved also makes each game unique, as one wave might suddenly be significantly harder or easier than usual.
  • Progression
    Each playable faction has its classes divided into four tiers: recruits, soldiers, elites, and heroes. Where in FI2 players start with enough gold to buy heavy armor and good weapons, players in Osiris start with enough gold to buy a basic recruit class, and build their way up from there. The invasions have, of course, been balanced to accommodate.
  • Faction design
    Each faction has been completely remade. Only the factions that have enough content to provide players with a lot of options are staying in Osiris. As each faction now has its classes divided into four groups, each faction needs enough content to provide the player with progression in their preferred playstyle. This means the amount of content has vastly increased for each faction. As an example, the new Lord of the Rings faction has around 125 classes to choose from, each with a wide selection of gear.
  • Support classes and heroes
    Finally, Osiris introduces support classes and extra abilities for heroes. Support classes are classes that are less proficient in combat by themselves, but can provide bonuses for nearby allies, such as increased damage, healing, movement speed, or defensive boosts. Support classes tend to only provide bonuses to a subset of classes, allowing players to cooperate to make the most out of their bonuses. For example, a Sarranid Bannerman in the Calradia faction will only provide bonuses to nearby Sarranid classes.
    Hero classes also provide bonuses to nearby allies, and have access to unique active abilities. These abilities allow them to (for example) instantly heal nearby players, cause enemies to run away in fear, or spawn bodyguards to protect them. To compensate, only one player can play as a particular hero at a time.
These are only the major differences from FI2. There are a ton of other smaller changes, too many to go over here, which combined provide a vastly different experience than older Full Invasion mods.

Factions
The first version of Full Invasion: Osiris will have the following factions:

Defender factions:
  • The Calradian Realms
  • The Crusader States
  • The Empire of Sigmar
  • The Lord of the Rings
  • The Saracen Sultanates
  • The Arcane Empire
  • The Greco-Persian States
Invasions
  • The Invasion of Calradia
  • The Storm of Chaos
  • The Forces of Christendom
  • The Armies of Isengard
  • The Hordes of Mordor
  • The Invasion of Saracens
  • The Tide of the Blackmarch
  • The Greco-Persian Invasions
These are all the factions that will be in Osiris. There might be more factions in the future, but adding more might cause more issues than it adds benefits, considering Warband cannot handle much more content than we have right now.

When does it release?
We are planning to release a closed beta in the next two weeks. We'll be sending out personal invites to the beta once we hit that point, so if you'd like to involved in that, leave a reply here, or in any of our other channels. The full public release of the mod will probably be another few weeks to a month after that, depending on the feedback in the beta.
There is currently a preview version of the mod live for our Patreon supporters. You can find more information about that on our ModDB and Patreon pages.

So what about Full Invasion 2?
Consider this the successor to FI2. If people wish to continue to play FI2 they are welcome to, as it features several factions that will not be returning to Osiris. However, it will no longer be updated in the future.

The Team
Full Invasion: Osiris is being developed by Wave 53 Studios, which consists of:
Borridian - Scripter, map creator
Maroon - 3D artist, scripter, map creator
TrotsTwats - Map creator

Supported by:
Koyaanisqatsi - Map creator
Kuchi - Map creator

Screenshots
fi2_crusaders.jpg

fi2_chaos.jpg

kdE6JZy.jpg

O4V3Zqf.jpg

RREogr6.jpg

fi2_sigmar.jpg

20180627233539_1.jpg

Links
ModDBDiscordPatreonSteamgroup

The full credits for the mod will be added once the mod releases, as the sources we use may still change.

It's great to see the project continue in this direction, really. A more compact mod(the load times were a nightmare), with quality and versatile invasions and scenes that are always a different experience. Well done, truly. My guess the testament of this concept's success will be how often the LOTR faction is played compared to the other factions in the new release :lol:

However it has been a few years and that faction list does kind of look like it could be expanded slightly. Reading the stuff I saw how many different classes and troop types you guys put into each of the new factions which shows just how versatile and expansive they have to be, and it's a tough requirement.  There were plenty of OSPs, and entire mods(now available via this OSP/LSP mod list) that could perhaps complete a few factions(Japan, 19th century, Rome certainly come to mind). I'm not familiar with the workflow and requirements you have for new factions now, so it's just some brainstorming.

Anyways enough of my rant, great work once again and I can't wait to try the initial release!

BNS Marko said:
My guess the testament of this concept's success will be how often the LOTR faction is played compared to the other factions in the new release :lol:

The fact that the LOTR faction was played so much more than the others was one of the original reasons we started this version, actually. We couldn't fault people who preferred only playing as the one faction in the mod that has the most content to it, so we wanted to improve the others to be on its level (spoiler alert: LOTR probably still has more content in Osiris than the other Osiris factions. Oh well, at least they all have something going for them).

BNS Marko said:
However it has been a few years and that faction list does kind of look like it could be expanded slightly. Reading the stuff I saw how many different classes and troop types you guys put into each of the new factions which shows just how versatile and expansive they have to be, and it's a tough requirement.  There were plenty of OSPs, and entire mods(now available via this OSP/LSP mod list) that could perhaps complete a few factions(Japan, 19th century, Rome certainly come to mind). I'm not familiar with the workflow and requirements you have for new factions now, so it's just some brainstorming.

We definitely have plans for more factions in the future, but we decided that the list we have now is enough for a first version of the mod. There are two issues we have now when it comes to adding more factions, however:
[list type=decimal]
[*]We want each faction to have enough variety where classes aren't just simple reskins of one another. This already makes the Japanese and Roman factions tougher to make, as most of their assets look very much alike. It's probably possible to add factions for them in the future, but it's something that needs more time to work out.
[*]The size of the mod (in terms of bytes) is getting a bit... out of hand. The current development build is over 4GB big, and while there is some content in there that won't be used, the vast majority will. Adding more factions also means making the mod bigger, and, once it reaches a certain threshold, more unstable as well. Funnily enough, Osiris still loads vastly quicker than older versions even though it's a lot bigger. This is because Warband is apparently slower in loading a large amount of low resolution textures than loading a smaller amount of high resolution ones.
[/list]

We have a Spanish YouTuber with more than 200,000 sub interested to participate in Full Invasion: Osiris

MayorceteGaming

We do not know how much longer to wait for a public beta, but it would be great if MayorceteGaming could get one, he loves this mod  :grin:

Hey Camarada, thanks for letting me know! I'll see if I can contact him. If he's interested he can also contact us through Discord, our Steam group, or these forums.

Thanks, we expect it will! ModDB has approved our article as well: https://www.moddb.com/mods/full-invasion-2/news/full-invasion-osiris-the-countdown-begins

NightHawkreal said:
This is it, but do not worry, there is permission from the authors.  I'm talking about his left hand.
Well, Grim Age is OSP, so I would have assumed the permissions ^^
I missed however that you want the shooting with the left hand. Would be more work than effort to implement that I think.

Back
Top Bottom