close to 2 years in EA and the AI is STILL TERRIBLE

Users who are viewing this thread

Keldar

Recruit
My GAWD, I hadn't played for a good while because frustration with the game. Came back just a couple days ago and I do see a lot of changes I like... though many of them are or feel superficial.

The one thing that so far seems the same or possibly worse is the AI especially in the tourney's. Not just talking the guys on my side but also the enemies when there is group and group fights. The stupidity of the AI is severe and unacceptle after this long. Archers/crossbow still trying to reload as they are being hacked by melee. THEY HAVE A MELEE WEAPON, HOW HARD IS IT TO PROGRAM THAT IF AN ENEMY GETS WITHIN SAY 5-10 FEET THEY SWITCH. I mean seriously. Mounted spear are constantly facing the wrong way while getting stabbed don't seem to be even trying to turn around. They are supposedly expert riders? I mean wow, I was starting to think the game was really improving. I have not gotten to sieges and am hoping some of the videos I have seen of those improvements are true but TW please hire some of the people who have made mods that have made your game better in some cases they CLEARLY are more competent then the people you have on the payroll.

Praise Jerbus.

What to say other than a sad "yes, indeed". To add, I find also some battles with the new terrain system worse, especially with bridges and deep rivers on the battlefield. The stupid AI is just not able to move it's attacking forces in a sensible way with such obstacles around.

update:

Got into my first castle siege and while I am pleased to see the troups are using the ladders correctly for the most part once up the ladders and on the walls they stand there taking arrow fire just like they were when they weren't going up the ladders just walking in place like morons. So the Siege AI after nearly 2 years IS STILL CRAP. The mod that is out there that I tried before works better than this crap. TW are you embarrassed yet? If not you sure should be. I am currently not using any mods to have a clean try of the lastest patch.

What to say other than a sad "yes, indeed". To add, I find also some battles with the new terrain system worse, especially with bridges and deep rivers on the battlefield. The stupid AI is just not able to move it's attacking forces in a sensible way with such obstacles around.
I haven't experienced that yet myself but it wouldn't surprise me. I almost wish TW was done with the game yet so the modders can fix the crap they refuse/are unable to fix, because if this keeps on less and less people not to mention modders are going to have any interest in this game.

To be fair I'd say that the combat AI isn't the worst (especially at the highest level).

I'm a lot more annoyed by the tactical AI (leading armies) both in battle and on the campaign maps. The only workaround I found so far was to never be part of an army if I don't lead.

THEY HAVE A MELEE WEAPON, HOW HARD IS IT TO PROGRAM THAT IF AN ENEMY GETS WITHIN SAY 5-10 FEET THEY SWITCH
Yeah that's an excellent solution! There's no way this could be exploited and punished! This will make the AI really put up a good fair fight!
3n8Me.gif

I suspect the AI actually has another ability the player doesn't have. Something like group targeting (like players beg for...) and that's why sometimes the AI doesn't respond well, because it's been pointed at a group until it's re-pointed or the command changes.

Enemy AI works just fine. Ally AI is trash.

I'm sure it's intentional. They don't want you to go down in battle, so when you do your entire army turns into a dungheap, unless you have highly skilled tacticians assigned properly to each group. Even then, they only make it slightly better than the clusterf*** that your army becomes if you fall.

What annoys me is that they can't use the ladders, they just stand around and don't move forward up the ladders.
Also when the gate is breeched no one is going through it? they run right pass the gate and to the ladders and stand around like they are having a coffee break, I need a whip to lass these lazy people!!

Archers/crossbow still trying to reload as they are being hacked by melee. THEY HAVE A MELEE WEAPON, HOW HARD IS IT TO PROGRAM THAT IF AN ENEMY GETS WITHIN SAY 5-10 FEET THEY SWITCH

Havent played this game enough to know but in the previous titles that was a high priority engine level switch. Sometimes to the point it looked like they were psychic in that if you were coming up from behind an archer that was busy firing they would immediately know to switch too melee even if they had no line of sight or way of knowing you were behind them

My major AI frustration is trying to govern with all of my stupid, reckless, jackass lords constantly demanding that I make counterproductive decisions and forcing me to burn through all of my influence to hold them off. When I'm winning suddenly everyone is a pacifist. If I'm at war with 3 other factions some clown always wants to go after a fourth. And their siege decisions are even worse. They march right past neighboring enemy towns to besiege some castle on the far side of enemy territory, typically with an army that's too small that immediately gets wiped out. I can use them as a distraction, but that's about as far as it goes.

Back
Top Bottom