Climate influence

Users who are viewing this thread

VVL99

Squire
1. In the cold lands of Sturgia, all poorly dressed and warm lovers should feel bad and lose their morale and vice versa, Sturgis should languish in the heat in the deserts of Aserai, Aserai are more merchants than conquerors.
The Batans lose their fighting spirit in the steppes, and the Khuzaites in the forests.
Heavy Vlandians get tired of long marches.
The Empire does not like to travel, it likes a warm climate and large armies.

Last edited:
There are some "climatic" speed influences. If they are too big a factor, they create balance problems (as it was in the past and possibly is with the Battania trait).

Other then that, the recruiting practice of the game does not allow for too many cultural pecurialities in my opinion. Should the game decide it after the lord, or the majority of the soldiers or take all cultures into a complicated formula? And why should soldiers of the Northern Empire fear the cold?

I see more problems than benefits. Humans can adapt too, after all.

There are some "climatic" speed influences. If they are too big a factor, they create balance problems (as it was in the past and possibly is with the Battania trait).

Other then that, the recruiting practice of the game does not allow for too many cultural pecurialities in my opinion. Should the game decide it after the lord, or the majority of the soldiers or take all cultures into a complicated formula? And why should soldiers of the Northern Empire fear the cold?

I see more problems than benefits. Humans can adapt too, after all.
Succinctly put. Although I wouldn't mind seeing Sturgia get a culture bonus related to movement in snow so that they're more consistent in defending their settlements.

Also, the devs have said that they might look into making the terrain influence auto resolve in the future, though they haven't really detailed if or how they would do it.

Last edited:
Unless the AI uses it in an interesting way then it's just a gimmick. I've rarely seen a strategy game do climate interestingly for even the player, let alone the AI. Also limiting the effects of climate by factions only makes it even more shallow because you typically play as the same faction the entire game.

The first Shogun Total War is the only game I've seen that does weather and climate well. All the factions are the same so the effect of snow or heat mainly affect different unit types, so for instance if the AI knows you have a lot of musketmen it will attack during a thunderstorm so you can't use them, or retreat from a battle if you attack them while it's windy and they have a lot of archers. Without the AI reacting it wouldn't be anywhere near as interesting.

2. In winter, water bodies should freeze and it should be possible to cross them on foot.

Last edited:
3. In the Aserai lands, a lot of water is needed, otherwise the army will begin to die out.

Last edited:
4. People in thick armor should die of a heat stroke in summer after 5 minutes of combat (so most battles aren't effected ...) or freeze to death in winter in metal armor without a big coat. Not cultural but surely fun. :iamamoron:

Water as a factor should only start working in deserts, like other perks for movement and variety of food.
If water were introduced, it would be a valuable resource in the deserts, right now the Aserai are essentially the weakest faction, but they live in difficult conditions and capturing them in the depths of the deserts should be the most difficult thing, it's like winter in Siberia at -50 degrees, remember history and understand everything, great armies disappeared from the face of the earth by going there.

Last edited:
They have a smaller penalty for water consumption, they live there for centuries and know how to survive, each faction has its own bonuses and penalties.

This people was born there and lives for centuries, and you will not last a day there.
Then cancel the penalties and bonuses for the cultures of the norods in the game.
===
The mechanics of bonuses and penalties for the cultures of the peoples in the game exist, why the Batans walk faster in the forest, this is absurd, the influence of water in the heat and the ability to live in difficult conditions is a reality.
I suggested simply expanding the possibilities of the game, i.e. already existing mechanics, it's easy to do, but most likely it won't be, so it's just a discussion.

Last edited:
4. Critical temperatures greatly increase the consumption of all resources.
That would make more sense to apply a "debuff" to seasons, rather than to regions. Its 6 am and i couldnt sleep, but sieges in winter shouldnt be the same as autumn and spring. While it is interesting that Charlemagne made it a "rule" to obly start wars before summer, so everyone would be able to forage, it would make sense that summer heat, bugs and disease would incur some penalties. Which could amount to interesting decisions of when to actually march. Perhaps a general debuff to speed and consumption in summer and winter, which are both followed by more sensible seasons could provide a better gameplay feature than arbitrary region locks.

My real problem with the game is population. Everyday each village spawns half a dozen soldiers, the most fertile land in all gami ng worlds ive seen, people being born and growing up days after a village is razed... amazing! Maybe more recruits in winter amd summer, and less during spring and fall... that could prove interesting. I dunno, insomnia is a hell of a thing

Back
Top Bottom