Clans leave AI Kingdoms too easily still - a reason why Sturgia gets wiped out too easily

Users who are viewing this thread

(Playing in Beta 1.3.0)

There's a few discussions about how clans leave the human kingdoms despite having high opinion and fiefs... but I would like to further look at how easily the AI leaves its own native kingdom.

I find it absurd that nobles are so quick to abandon their homeland and suddenly fully embrace the nomadic steppe life when they were previously a Vlandian lord living in the hilly grasslands and drinking fine wine.

This is also the prime reason Sturgia gets wiped out almost every game. If Sturgia is at war with the Khuzait/Northern Empire and Battania/Vlandia (who are all on its doorstep), then they will be wiped out. Defending both Tyal and Revyl (or Varcheg) at the same time is near impossible.

Now we have landless clans that will soon abandon Sturgia. I just had the unpleasant experience of having 3 lords switch side while part of my army! They just randomly and instantaneously switched to Battania, who we were at war with (and instantly challenged me to a fight... what?). Yea, yea, it sounds like cool roleplaying opportunity for grand betrayal and all that, but this is my third attempt at playing a Sturgia campaign and every time they just collapse and get wiped out.

It's no fun to play in a kingdom that has no cultural identity, because if we start winning land back there's a chance an imperial clan might join us (from a defeated N., S. or W. Empire) and start running around with their troops in our army.

AI Clans need to be way more loyal and only when it looks like all hope is lost should they abandon the kingdom. This switching of sides is what causes the now mild 'snowballing' to continue, because Sturgia just lost -300 manpower and Battania who is already winnning gained +300 manpower. That's a huge, huge blow. Especially since I struggled to form that army because every lord is undermanned because they lose battles and every village is burning. Our forests, chokepoints and huge warfront makes winning any war difficult.

Comebacks are too hard because of the fickle AI loyalty.

Last edited:
(Playing in Beta 1.3.0)

There's a few discussions about how clans leave the human kingdoms despite having high opinion and fiefs... but I would like to further look at how easily the AI leaves its own native kingdom.

I find it absurd that nobles are so quick to abandon their homeland and suddenly fully embrace the nomadic steppe life when they were previously a Vlandian lord living in the hilly grasslands and drinking fine wine.

This is also the prime reason Sturgia gets wiped out almost every game. If Sturgia is at war with the Khuzait/Northern Empire and Battania/Vlandia (who are all on its doorstep), then they will be wiped out. Defending both Tyal and Revyl (or Varcheg) at the same time is near impossible.

Now we have landless clans that will soon abandon Sturgia. I just had the unpleasant experience of having 3 lords switch side while part of my army! They just randomly and instantaneously switched to Battania, who we were at war with (and instantly challenged me to a fight... what?). Yea, yea, it sounds like cool roleplaying opportunity for grand betrayal and all that, but this is my third attempt at playing a Sturgia campaign and every time they just collapse and get wiped out.

It's no fun to play in a kingdom that has no cultural identity, because if we start winning land back there's a chance an imperial clan might join us (from a defeated N., S. or W. Empire) and start running around with their troops in our army.

AI Clans need to be way more loyal and only when it looks like all hope is lost should they abandon the kingdom. This switching of sides is what causes the now mild 'snowballing' to continue, because Sturgia just lost -300 manpower and Battania who is already winnning gained +300 manpower. That's a huge, huge blow. Especially since I struggled to form that army because every lord is undermanned because they lose battles and every village is burning. Our forests, chokepoints and huge warfront makes winning any war difficult.

Comebacks are too hard because of the fickle AI loyalty.
I agree. this does need a urgent fix i think. i doubt the layout of sturgia will be changed but i would suggest a larger penalty for armies travelling through Snow, and a larger bonus for sturgians travelling through snow. This way sturgia will be able to move across is lands alot quicker to offset how large and far apart their borders are, while making invading sturgia a bit more challenging as the sturgians will be able to pick their battles in their snowy land and be able to reinforce defensive strategies faster.

And of course Lord Defects need to be ALOT more rare

Yes, lord defects happen too easily. And it's especially devastating, when they take several fiefs with them. I'm not sure how this could be fixed though.

For some reason, for me it only happens with vassals that at first were just mercenary clans. For example Legion of the Betrayed or Skolderbrotva.
They joined other kingdoms as vassals, and while talking to their leaders I was able to convince them to join me, or just ask them to work as mercenaries for my kingdom.
At some point they just leave randomly, tried loading game several times but it's just inevitable.

Totally agree. I had lords that owned more than 1 fief each, hit the support button 9 extra times for each one so they were getting 1000 gold a day. Everyone still left.

Also, I had at least 30 lords on the map running around with 0 armies. They didn't own anything. But refused to join me. Who owned 10 cities by myself. Dude, join me, I'll give you a freaking city man. I got 18 kids but the oldest is only 10. I need armies!

Confirmed.

Everytime a city is lost, the lord defects, which can lead to a drastic change in manpower, which later stabilizes with peace. Even honorable lords are defecting, like Godun or Calatild, which take their whole family with them.

Also playing beta 1.3

Last edited:
Alright, my current game is going the same way again.

As a vassal of Sturgia, we are at war with the Khuzait and a clan has left us... taking 4 lords with it! Just because we recently lost Tyal. We are now 3000 man strong vs the Khuzait 9000+ strong kingdom. They are just chain-sieging us... castle after castle, town after town. Sieges need to be much more deadly for the attacker. Also, we need a limit to the AI aggression in how much they take.

In Warband, being a marshall and calling a campaign didn't always bring 100% of all lords to you... every lord had a temperament and not everybody was in the mood for war all the time and had other things to attend to. Our lords are now disorganised and we have 3x 200 man armies, which are useless. I need to spend influence to disband these little armies (and make everyone hate me), just so I can reform a better army.

I think another factor to this madness is the relationship change you get with your liege. I was given Amprela and a few other castles as fiefs, but they were immediately re-sieged and taken back. Now I'm at -100 with Raganvad and he is -100 with me. We are now 'enemies' just because a few fiefs were lost. This is probably why AIs jump ship to easily.

Again this is the 1.3.0 Beta.

Last edited:
I think the relationship hits for losing fiefs are definitely massively overtuned right now and causing part of the problem. Lose two fiefs (easy to do since defending in a siege is very difficult currently) and the king now hates you for -100.

tD8W6Sp.png

k1TrFHv.png

Raganvad keeps giving me holdings that are immediately resieged... the relationship loss from losing fiefs is definitely broken.

Also, kings in Warband were always neutral to you, no matter how much they disliked you. I'd like to see that be a thing again in Bannerlord, instead of kings holding grudges and refusing you to access their fiefs.

Back
Top Bottom