Users who are viewing this thread

To be blunt, I don't think there exists enough ways to degrade relations in the current game and that is too easy to manipulate relations to max with clans.
As a ruler, I've never seen kingdom decisions reduce my relations with clans (bug?) and the only thing that seems to reduce relations is executing lords.
There should be mechanics in that place that make appeasing lords a priority as a ruler and some nuance to the way you govern your kingdom.

Suggestions for clan relations mechanics:

1) Implemented policies: If a policy is in place that a clan strongly disagrees with, you should be punished with daily or weekly drops in relations with them. Inversely, strongly supported policies should seen periodic increases in relations.

2) Clan rivalries: Clans should have an inherent dislike of another clan placed as a trait. Releasing, rewarding fiefs, recruiting or doing quests for this clan should result in a relations drop.

3) Greedy clans: They covet fiefs with high prosperity, and if they don't meet a certain threshold you lose relations with that clan until needs are met. Also if a ruler maintains a ridiculous sum of denars, they will dislike the ruler for not sharing.

4) Culture clash: These clans strongly dislike certain cultures, and given fiefs of this culture reduces relations. Additionally, if serving under this culture, they are given weekly relations drop.

5) Pacifists/Warmongers: Pacifists will dislike declaring war or being in wars for extended periods, and Warmongers will be unhappy during elongated periods of peace. Also Pacifists will dislike dishonorable acts like raiding while Warmongers will approve of it.

6) Prideful clans: Losing wars, battles, fiefs, or having lords captured should result in negative relations with these sorts of clans as their pride is wounded. Inversely, winning large battles or sieges should improve relations.

While these are suggestions, the following are what I consider priorities in fixing the relation system:

1) Donating Prisoners needs nerfing: I think at most you should get a max of +10 for donating a lord. Minor lords perhaps being +2, Clan heads of +5, and Faction rulers of +10.

2) Positive relations should naturally degrade over time: Perhaps once a month relations drop by -2 naturally, eventually stopping at a neutral 0 or baseline personality trait value.

3) Personality traits should have more impact: The most I've seen for having totally opposite traits is -3, and I think this should extend all the way to -30 to give traits more oomph. If you are the complete opposite personality wise of a lord, it should be reflected in your relations. And if you share the same traits as a clan, this should reflected as well in their inherent views of you with positive +15 at max.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of the clan system in general. It completely takes away from the individualization of the people - their personalities and traits become 100% irrelevant, since all you need to do is become friends with one member of the clan, and the rest follow automatically. So if you're a noble/honest player, and you become great friends with a noble/honest member of a clan, even the dishonest/treacherous members will like you. And vice versa for enemies. This is a flawed system.

It might make more sense if for every 1% increased/decreased relations with one person, the rest get like a 0.1% change. That way if you max out relations with one person, you still get moderate change for the rest, but not to the extreme. Even then, it would take away from personalization.

Last edited:
Can anyone clear which relation effects are not working during votings currently?

Only when you are king or even if you are vassal? Does all positive changes are working at votings (means only not working ones are negatives?)

I will make examinations about especially last 3 priorities and try to see how relations are changing over time. If I get some graphs I will post it.

Can anyone clear which relation effects are not working during votings currently?

Only when you are king or even if you are vassal? Does all positive changes are working at votings?

I will make examinations about especially last 3 priorities and try to see how relations are changing over time. If I get some graphs I will post it.
I know as King when you decide a vote, relations do not change positively or negatively for your decision. I believe it is the same for vassal but can't confirm.

Only when you are king or even if you are vassal? Does all positive changes are working at votings (means only not working ones are negatives?)

I have never seen votes affect relations positively or negatively when you are Kingdom Ruler (at least in E1.5.6) As a Vassal, I do see relations changed positively and negatively.

I'm not a fan of the clan system in general. It completely takes away from the individualization of the people - their personalities and traits become 100% irrelevant, since all you need to do is become friends with one member of the clan, and the rest follow automatically. So if you're a noble/honest player, and you become great friends with a noble/honest member of a clan, even the dishonest/treacherous members will like you. And vice versa for enemies. This is a flawed system.

It might make more sense if for every 1% increased/decreased relations with one person, the rest get like a 0.1% change. That way if you max out relations with one person, you still get moderate change for the rest, but not to the extreme. Even then, it would take away from personalization.
Yeah like how the games declares I'm best friends with a lord I've never met before because I've helped someone in his extended family. I'd love to see personal relations be a thing again (it is for companions/family, so why not lords?).

As I think back on the points I made for suggestions, maybe instead of personality quirks for clan head they could be Clan Agendas?

Examples as Clan Agendas:
1) Growth: This clan prioritizes policies that increase prosperity growth for towns/castles/villages.
2) Stability: This clan prioritizes polices that increase security/loyalty of governed settlements.
3) Fortification: This clan prioritizes polices that provide stronger garrisons/militia
4) Expansion: This clan prioritizes conquering nearby settlements via war. They often call for war against weaker factions.
5) Peace: This clan prioritizes ending long-standing wars or wars with high casualties.
6) Clan Standing: This clan seeks to expands its clan's standings via policies or number of fiefs controlled.

Back
Top Bottom