Clan heraldry - an early herald of the "Too complex" problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Now I think of it... Theyre not so different..
Too bad TW doesn't have shareholders clutching to their purses because theyre scared for their investment...
They had Paradox as publisher but ended it mid bannerlord development, i remember the community (and myself) cheering TW back then saying this was good to have less pressure for the release so they would be able to fully develop the game they and the community wanted, man were we wrong lmao..

They had Paradox as publisher but ended it mid bannerlord development, i remember the community (and myself) cheering TW back then saying this was good to have less pressure for the release so they would be able to fully develop the game they and the community wanted, man were we wrong lmao..
I am usually against the amount of pressure a publisher puts on them especially with TW but they appear to now be the poster boy for needing one.

Does anyone know when they split with Paradox being their publisher? It would be interesting if it corresponded with their change and the massive difference from what was shown before.

I am usually against the amount of pressure a publisher puts on them especially with TW but they appear to now be the poster boy for needing one.

Does anyone know when they split with Paradox being their publisher? It would be interesting if it corresponded with their change and the massive difference from what was shown before.
It was in 2014, we were supposed to get the game in some way in 2016 before the dev hell and they restructuring the game from scratch to the version we have now from 2020.

I actually think it might have been good for them, except the potential wave of DLC. lol
Am i the only that actually likes PDX waves of DLC? to me it means they keep suporting and releasing more content to games i like for years and years instead of doing one or two things and abandoning the game for their next project after cashing in the release sales.

I don't expect them to keep releasing new features for free on a complete game but with the dlcs they get an incentive to release a few freebies alongside their dlcs aswell and keep working on the game, it's a win-win situation to me.

Am i the only that actually likes PDX waves of DLC? to me it means they keep suporting and releasing more content to games i like for years and years instead of doing one or two things and abandoning the game for their next project after cashing in the release sales.

I don't expect them to keep releasing new features for free on a complete game but with the dlcs they get an incentive to release a few freebies alongside their dlcs aswell and keep working on the game, it's a win-win situation to me.

I like the DLC, but there's too much and they are all expensive.

Imagine the banners in game needs improvement, while the REST of the game needs more improvement, like new features and such. I am not a game designer, but importing new colours (colour wheel perhaps) and newer icons with a customisable option for banners isn't that hard right?

Yes, why of course we do. It is those unshared but definitely spoken about and concrete road maps within the development circle.

Ah yes, how unbelivable half-witted of me to not know about these nonexistent but definitely real road maps within the development circle. Thank you kind sir for informing me.

Thats ideally how it should work. And sometimes it does to some extent. Rome total war got DLC some eight years after its release and some new features for everybody with it. DLC can elongate the life of a game significantly which is a huge plus in my book. (Even though I wouldn't put total war as a positive exemple for other reasons.)

However, DLC is often an excuse to ship a game as barebones / low effort as possible to make additional money with DLC later. Paradox is a prime exemple for that I think. Crusader Kings 2 is bearly enjoyable without some DLCs. And alot of the DLC is ridiculus expensive. Nobody can tell me that the price of close to 1000€ for CK2 with all its DLC is justifiable. You pay 20€ here then 15€ there and before you know you have payed well over a 100€ for a game to enjoy which should have cost 50€.

If the game is solid as is, and it is worth its money, additional DLC is always great of course. Either it us worth its money, then buy it, or it isn't, then enjoy the solid game without it. But expecting people to pay for stuff that should be in the game to begin with is rediculus.

Thats ideally how it should work. And sometimes it does to some extent. Rome total war got DLC some eight years after its release and some new features for everybody with it. DLC can elongate the life of a game significantly which is a huge plus in my book. (Even though I wouldn't put total war as a positive exemple for other reasons.)

However, DLC is often an excuse to ship a game as barebones / low effort as possible to make additional money with DLC later. Paradox is a prime exemple for that I think. Crusader Kings 2 is bearly enjoyable without some DLCs. And alot of the DLC is ridiculus expensive. Nobody can tell me that the price of close to 1000€ for CK2 with all its DLC is justifiable. You pay 20€ here then 15€ there and before you know you have payed well over a 100€ for a game to enjoy which should have cost 50€.

If the game is solid as is, and it is worth its money, additional DLC is always great of course. Either it us worth its money, then buy it, or it isn't, then enjoy the solid game without it. But expecting people to pay for stuff that should be in the game to begin with is rediculus.

Well, perhaps the exception, but the only one I know, who does it well is Cities Skylines. Their game is good as a base game (even on consoles, they respected their userbase) but also really enjoyable with DLC's. And if you dont like a DLC, skip it. You dont need it to enjoy the game.

Do I want 5 fleshed out industry types? Yes. Buy the DLC. Do I want to fish? No. Dont buy the DLC.

I have paid for the base game, played hundreds of hours, got 2 dlc, played another hundreds of hours, got a couple more dlc, more hours, etc..
DLC's do not only prolong the lifespan of the game but also your enjoyment in it.

Remember when each lord had a distinct banner? Remember when your coat of arms was a symbol of your status because you were accepted among nobility? Remember when you could have a banner donned with brighter colours and NOT look like a total clown (together with the rest of your kingdom) because your clothes copy the exact colour?

Well those times are long past. Not only you get a banner from the start (to hell with a clanless commoner start, right?) but you also get an amazing choice of an animal and 2 colours. Now there are the GREEN = good guys, the RED = bad guys, and the GRAY = absolutely irrelevant. So thrilling and immersive. Well, we should have then known what was to come

May I ask who made all these amazing design choices that no one asked for.

Also, Stronghold: Kingdoms has a better shield editor that Bannerlord. A LITERAL MMO
Indeed. The atrocious banners were perhaps the first harbingers of the "too complex" story we now all find ourselves in. Looking back at it... If a game called Bannerlord has really simplistic, ugly and boring banners... That should have been an even louder alarm signaling much larger issues elsewhere.

I do wish I could go back and not get the game early access, and I'm not ashamed to say I first thought it when I saw the banner editor. It was a warning sign. ?

Back
Top Bottom