CLAN CHESS (game mode)

Users who are viewing this thread

xombie5

Sergeant Knight at Arms
just had an idea that i kinda like (wanted it before but never thought of implimenting it like this)
CLAN CHESS!!!
works as follows:
two clans decide to battle it out with a game of chess - be sure to keep an immage of a chess board with coordinates so you know who moves where, say one move per day or less if you are that fast paced.
each clan can asign one of its members to a piece - ie i might be a knight, lezard a castle etc - then when you move (if you go to take a peice) that peice has to battle the opposing peice with relative weapons - ie a pawn might have a shortsword or ****ty mace - maybe even nothing - a kngiht would have a good horse, armor, lance and sword etc etc - clan leaders would be the king but i guess you might want your best player as the king...
if the defending peice wins(agree on this before starting the battle , one of these two: the attacking peice is either destroyed or moved back to where it came from, keep in mind this still counts as that clans move even if they lose.
obviously if the attacking peice wins the defending peice is now killed etc.
i think its a rad idea - implementing the strategy of chess - the clans knowledge of its members skills to asign them to the right type of peice...

vote leroy xD

ok, made two maps (one "epic" chess board covering the ENTIRE map, another less epic one which is much smaller - about the size of a small arena)

REVISED RULES:
OFFICIAL RULES (for fast paced version) "arent i a fast develepor :smile:"

1: all chess teams are to be played as the kingdom of swadia unless agreed so before the match

2: Player asigned as the king peice will command the troops - if it isnt the clan leader then make sure your king peice will listen to what

you have to say :wink: (peices, OBEY your king)

3: The King peice Will wear medium armor, a longsword (arming sword in swadias case) or other 1h weapon depending on faction, and no sheild.

leather gloves

4: A pawn peice will wear default armor , (NOT NAKED) no gloves or helmet. a default or cheapest short sword. no shield.

5: The knight peice will have a great lance, warhorse, heavy or medium armor, heavy or medium helmet - chainmail gloves , a sheild and the

best 1h weapon he chooses

6: The bishop will have light - low grade medium armor, leather gloves and no helmet. they are allowed a 1h weapon and throwing weapons (up

to two slots of them)

7: the "queen" (though seeing as most people play guy chars it could be the kings gay lover :S) any melee weapon and armor throwing weapons also good, no mounts

8: the Castle - maxxed out heavy armor, sheilds and any weapons except ranged (again no mounts)

9: the peices will move as they move in a normal game of 8x8 chess - later versions such as 3d chess and hexagonal chess may be released

later

10: decide before the match starts: the battle will end on either- a draw agreed by both teams, the destruction of the oposing king or the

checkmate of the king (this last option means the king doesnt necesarily have to be a player, just a metaphorical peice - checkmate it and

win like in normal chess)

11: when the king is in check he must retreat accordingly , if it is a check mate (and as stated in #10 that it is to the death) the

participating peices will attacking him on order of distance - closest first - the checkmate will end when either the king falls in battle or

he defeats all those participating in this checkmate

12: the knight (the only mounted peice) may charge his opponent and lance him if desired on the call of his move - he doesnt have to walk to

the square - he can also dismount after he reaches the battle area is desired or can stay mounted.

13: only "queens", "castles" and "kings" can use the kick ability

14: if a peice has taken damage but has one his battle, he may respawn and return to his square

15: if desired the king can enter spectator regularly to gain a birds eye view of the battle - he must return to his square when he is done

16: the "white" (and starting team) can either be agreed on before or decided by a duel between the kings or the chosen "champion" of the

king

17: any peice you kill you can take its weapons if they are in your class - ie if a pawn kills aknight and that knight had an ... arming sword, you could take the arming sword. king can pick up anything except horse of things it kills and queen can take anything except horse too)

RULES FOR LONG TERM GAME:

1: all the weapon and equipment rules above apply

2: instead of using a chess map the battles themselves can be played anywhere and work simply as duels when the clashing peices are able to -

then report the winner to the commander of the game (probably the clan leader)

MORE TO BE ADDED LATER BUT IM CURRENTLY REALLY TIRED AND GOING TO BED
____

http://www.filefront.com/16265599/clan%20chess.zip
if you want to host youl have to go to the dedicated server box and type in either,
set_map 518
set_map quick_battle_scene_2
(either of those for the "epic" chess map - one battle per square)
then hit start and itle go

or for the arena version

set_map 519
set_map quick_battle_scene_3

please keep in mind these are just a couple of things i threw together in like 20 mins for the sake of having them, they arent meant to be any good :razz:
PS, on the epic chess map, the awkward objects etc at side are to help you coordinate your peices :razz:

i meant like a day to think about moves - chess can be a very challenging game, but i suppose a fast paced version is also doable, il make one tomorow and post it here xD

Thel said:
:smile: This calls for a custom map with a giant chessboard at its center.

If anyone did do that they should definitely label each square so that clan members as pieces could follow instructions easily.

they ARE players - the players ARE the peices and they battle as them - even if you are a good strategist you still need good "peices"

and i should have a map ready by tomorow evening

This could actually be quite fun.

But being a big chess player, I can tell you that not necessarily knowing the outcome of a battle will take away a lot from the strategy... I don't think you'd need all that long to think about moves, seeing as it wouldn't really be all that important provided you had good players.

Also it would totally change the idea of 'check' and 'checkmate', since the king would (presumably) be able to defend himself. You wouldn't need to move out of check, and checkmate wouldn't necessarily mean you lose.

To get around this you might wanna make the king not actually be a player and make the leader the queen :grin:

I like this idea as well. So will this be done in real-time on a server on a custom chessboard map or will the chess moves be done on a website and the "pieces" fight afterwards?

With the real-time you would have to do a lot of planning ahead to make sure each side has the appropriate number of the right pieces who could stay for the duration of the game, and the person commanding the pieces might have difficulty viewing the board unless he was in spectator mode. However in my opinion doing it this way would be much more entertaining.

If you do it the other way you might run into the problem of the game coming to a complete halt if two pieces who need to fight each other have trouble finding a time when they can both be on multiplayer.

This type of thing would take a lot of work and organization, but it would be amazing if successfully implemented. Good luck!

darkhorse said:
I like this idea as well. So will this be done in real-time on a server on a custom chessboard map or will the chess moves be done on a website and the "pieces" fight afterwards?

With the real-time you would have to do a lot of planning ahead to make sure each side has the appropriate number of the right pieces who could stay for the duration of the game, and the person commanding the pieces might have difficulty viewing the board unless he was in spectator mode. However in my opinion doing it this way would be much more entertaining.

If you do it the other way you might run into the problem of the game coming to a complete halt if two pieces who need to fight each other have trouble finding a time when they can both be on multiplayer.

This type of thing would take a lot of work and organization, but it would be amazing if successfully implemented. Good luck!

thats why its clan chess - it would work like a clan match where its an event - another type of an eventbut an event still, most people dont leave
mid-match :S

also, naturally a match could onlybe 15 minutes long at max - so i suppose its time chess, but you could take a screenshot or w/e and continue later

Chess is a pure strategy game with autoresolving combat rule. Except pieces names proposed game has nothing common with chess.
3 pawns Lezard, Urist, Narrator will pwn ****ing entire army if 1 by 1. See no strategy or chess in this.

Zheka said:
Chess is a pure strategy game with autoresolving combat rule. Except pieces names proposed game has nothing common with chess.
3 pawns Lezard, Urist, Narrator will pwn ****ing entire army if 1 by 1. See no strategy or chess in this.

if they were all pawns they could only attack people diagonally in to their front though :wink: so the extra strategy would be to not only play like chess, but avoid those particular pawns .

It seems that you made the knight a little overpowered: they are supposed to be on the same level as a bishop. Still looks awesome though.

darkhorse said:
It seems that you made the knight a little overpowered: they are supposed to be on the same level as a bishop. Still looks awesome though.

i know the knights overpowered but im not sure of any other way to make him a knight... if you do have any good equipment mix ideas please let me know :razz: im probably not the best person for balancing

Back
Top Bottom