Clan Banners

Users who are viewing this thread

Sir_Quake said:
And obviously, we can remove the watermark.

Sounds legit.

EDIT: Frappe, I could create something for you if you want. As you aren't going to use a standard I guess it would be best to design it around the smaller circular symbol. I was thinking a large gold coin in the centre with bars of dark colours (grey, black or brown) behind it.

n9B0w.png
my new flag request

Eiríkr Rauði said:

Come on, Eiríkr, give some actual feedback.

This isn't meant to be a symbol that is carried around on a standard, it will be over their heads and on the scoreboard. In such circumstances I think its quite appropriate.

Also, given the render of the skull I think it could, realistically, have been painted on a standard if necessary but would have been unusual. Thus, I believe it falls under the category of artistic license.

If Frapiller was serious about this mercenary company, he would spend the whole of ten minutes doing some historical research into the subject. It also wouldn't be too difficult to use some common sense and perhaps realise that any such company would use a flag design based upon identity of family, realm or county of original birth. There is a plethora of information out there on the internet regarding 16th and 17thC flag design.

The problem is that it is now a symbol that will be carried around on a standard. The latest patch saw heraldric squad banners implemented. I for one would not wish to see some clipart coinage or a gilded skull bobbing around on the battlefield. Take it as you will, I mean the man no offence - it's simply that he seems to make no real effort in doing this correctly. If you're not going to do it correctly for a historical mod, why bother in the first place?

Eiríkr Rauði said:
The problem is that it is now a symbol that will be carried around on a standard. The latest patch saw heraldric squad banners implemented. I for one would not wish to see some clipart coinage or a gilded skull bobbing around on the battlefield. Take it as you will, I mean the man no offence - it's simply that he seems to make no real effort in doing this correctly. If you're not going to do it correctly for a historical mod, why bother in the first place?

I think maybe there's a key misunderstanding here. Frappe's mercs turn up to battles and make up the numbers for other registered groups, it's those groups that generate a standard and carry it around.

Now enough of this pointless arguing and just play the game.

Ej, I think the discussion is relevant. If the tone stays civil then I don't think anyone will get hurt.

TheSlightFeelingOfRegret said:
Eiríkr Rauði said:

I think maybe there's a key misunderstanding here. Frappe's mercs turn up to battles and make up the numbers for other registered groups, it's those groups that generate a standard and carry it around.

Now enough of this pointless arguing and just play the game.

Ej, I think the discussion is relevant. If the tone stays civil then I don't think anyone will get hurt.

I didn't say it wasn't relevant. Just stating that it's starting to sound like an argument.

I personally can see, and agree with, Eirikr's point. Whilst the intention may not be to use it as a standard there is the chance that those who are a part of this 'mercenary' group will use the standard bearer class in public games where the presence of that symbol in its current form would just jar too much. It's a modern metallic depiction of a human skull which would not have been used upon a standard at all - it looks nothing like a symbol that would have been depicted circa c16/c17. A few examples from the English Civil War;

flags_of_the_2nd_english_civil_war_by_edthomasten-d4lxsf6.jpg

Whilst there are a few depicted there which have quite some detail, most are built of block colours that stand out against each other - vitally important in the midst of a battle with powder smoke lingering across the ground whilst confused, scared men look for simple indicators of where their comrades are. Having said that even those with more complicated insignia still have the badge stand out against the field.

As a sidenote does anyone else find skulls to be so terribly cliché or is it just me? No harm intended to Frapp, but skulls are everywhere in everything these days. A simple, unique symbol that stands out against the field, background, will look best.

Haha, that is awesome. Also, Winston Churchill? :grin: And Dalziel.

Also, I recall from one of my books on heraldry that there was some Hungarian who got famous for his skill in gelding. As arms he took a human arm  + holding a hammer over a large penis.  :lol:

Eiríkr Rauði said:
TheSlightFeelingOfRegret said:
Is the devil ****ting out the king supposed to help or hinder your argument?

VQudS.png
Would that kind of thing be bearable to you?

Well, with it being a real banner and all ...  :roll:

I just put it up there as a comparison, what I'm asking you about is the altered skull flag on the right.

In Rainsborough's symbol there is shading on the wings and its really very indistinct. It breaks many rules of Heraldry and is really no less absurd than the suggested skull symbol. Thus I think that your complaints on the grounds that "it looks nothing like a symbol that would have been depicted circa c16/c17" seem quite invalid.

Actually; it is valid. While Colonel Rainsborough seems to use the rules of tincture only to wipe his arse his flag still seems far more fitting than the skull one as that form of skull is a relatively modern way of depicting one,  the shading is relatively modern as well and on the whole it would probably look quite a lot like a grey-brownish smudge in the small above-head circle. The Devil one has more contrast and as such would be more recognizable even as smudge. :razz:

FrisianDude said:
Actually; it is valid.

And not just for the reasons you mentioned. That one -was- designed to be on flags measuring an area greater than 36 square foot. Therefore in the flesh that symbol was big! As in really big so its shading worked because they could use different threads of varying shades for it. Gold/silver thread looks -nothing- like the colours on that modern 'metallic' skull and therefore the same comparison can not be made. Also the use of that much gold/silver thread would cost an absolute fortune, sticking to the assumption that it could end up on a standard. Mercenaries are there to make money, to spend on food, drink, women, weapons, clothing, mundane items - not to waste entirely on a banner that will get ripped, bullet torn, powder stained & faded as it goes through battlefields.

rapier17 said:
FrisianDude said:
Actually; it is valid.

And not just for the reasons you mentioned. That one -was- designed to be on flags measuring an area greater than 36 square foot. Therefore in the flesh that symbol was big! As in really big so its shading worked because they could use different threads of varying shades for it. Gold/silver thread looks -nothing- like the colours on that modern 'metallic' skull and therefore the same comparison can not be made. Also the use of that much gold/silver thread would cost an absolute fortune, sticking to the assumption that it could end up on a standard. Mercenaries are there to make money, to spend on food, drink, women, weapons, clothing, mundane items - not to waste entirely on a banner that will get ripped, bullet torn, powder stained & faded as it goes through battlefields.

Got to admit, if they DID spend it all on a banner it would look, as the plebs say, ''Pimpin''.

Back
Top Bottom