Claimant mission IMPOSSIBLE to succeed

Users who are viewing this thread

Anolytic

Recruit
So, I took up arms on behalf of Jarl Thorgil to conquer Danmark in his name.

My game is in normal Sandbox mode.

After several hours of playing I have now succeeded in the task. I have singlehandedly captured every Danish town and imprisoned every Danish Lord defying me. One lord I have, at the very end of my campaign, convinced to join the cause. The rest rot in my prisons in Ribe and Huhelstadt.
The last town that I took was Heidabyr. As with every other town, I advised Jarl Thorgil to give it to me. I did the work, I should get the reward.
The Kingdom of Danmark have 5 Lords, the King, and 0 castles or centers.
Norse Rebels have Me, Jarl Thorgil and 1 former Danish Lord, and all centers and castles in Danmark. All of which are owned and controlled by me. And fully upgraded.

I ask Jarl Thorgil about how the campaign is going, he says it is going splendidly. The Danes are barely holding on, what with their 5 remaining lords supporting the king.

At midnight, this happens:
I get a message that The Kingdom of Danmark is no more, they are defeated. I get a message screen that my revolt has succeeded in taking over Danmark. I get a bonus with the relationship with all the danish lords who are now in the same kingdom as me, Danmark, which is now held by Jarl Thorgil as King.
At the same time however, I get a message not that my quest has succeeded, but that my quest has failed. My quest to help Jarl Thorgil claim the Throne failed, even though clearly it didn't. Moreover my quest "Notes on Eriu" also somehow failed simultaneously.

So, I succeeded in doing as I was supposed to, but I still failed the quest inexplicably.

I have done some minor tweaks to my game. There should however be no way they would affect the outcome here.

I loaded my save on a different computer with a clean and fresh install of M&B (no tweaks) and the same thing happens exactly.

Note: To my surprise, though it is probably correct, the former king of Danmark is turned into a vassal of Jarl Thorgil upon the rebellion prevailing.

Note: This frustrates me immensely. I played my entire campaign aimed at this moment and this mission. It bugging out bugs me a lot.

Note: Is there any way I can circumnavigate this bug? I have kept many earlier saves just in case. But the farther I have to go back the more time and effort was wasted. I was wondering if it had something to do with all the lords being in my prison still. Could I convince them all to join me before taking the last castle. Would that help? Would it help if I didn't take the last captured castle for myself and instead gave it to Jarl Thorgil? Is there any way to fix or circumvent this bug? I don't see how I could have caused this bug with any of my tweaks, but did I?

3) Folder with savegame file can be found here: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AmcvxFAiIDD7krkope-7mPAe4hO_cg Inside is also a folder containing the tweaked txt-files that I have.

7) rgl_config file included in above folder

4) Wind10 64Bit

5) See above

I played this DLC when it first arrived. I had to start over a few times because of bugs and updates. I finally played a campaign all the way to taking up the claim of Jarl Thorgil when I stopped playing because of a combination of bugs and an update which added features that wouldn't work in savegames started before the update. I waited until recently to pick up the game again and was hoping to finally be able to do the campaign I wanted to do back then.

Could someone who has completed a claimant mission before maybe tell me how the mission is ended? It hit me that the bug might be an oversight that the Claimant doesn't realise that the quest is inevitably going to be complete when all the towns are captured. And because the 5 lords still support the king the claimant refuses to end the quest. Thus all I would have to do is go back to before I took the last castle, release the danish lords one by one, and convince them to join the claimant's cause before I take the last castle.
If that is the case then it is an easy workaround, but I don't want to waste my time going back and doing all that if it doesn't fix the issue.

Anolytic said:
Could someone who has completed a claimant mission

you need to destroy the original kingdom, the same system/mechanic for any kingdom you destroy. If it happens to be the one you are supporting on a rebellion, then it goes to the victory menu/dialogs with the pretender/new king.

kalarhan said:
you need to destroy the original kingdom, the same system/mechanic for any kingdom you destroy. If it happens to be the one you are supporting on a rebellion, then it goes to the victory menu/dialogs with the pretender/new king.
I get that. As I said in OP, Kingdom of Danmark is destroyed by not having any territory left. I got the mission from Jarl Thorgil who is the claimant to the Danish throne.
The question is: To complete the mission do you talk to the claimant who is in your party and ask about the progress, or do you just wait for the kingdom to be destroyed by itself when midnight passes and the kingdom doesn't have any fiefs?
In my campaign I took all of Danmark's fiefs and then I talked to the claimant. However he said that the Danish are still (barely) holding on because they have 5 Lords (all imprisoned) and no fiefs.
So then I waited till midnight and the Kingdom of Danmark is then destroyed (because they have no fiefs). But even though all the lords then automatically defect to the new Danish kingdom, including the former king (Horik Gottfredsson), and the Norse Rebels is reformed/renamed into the Kingdom of Danmark under rule of Jarl Thorgil, my mission is failed instead of coming up as mission succeeded. And THAT is my problem.
I did the mission. I want the mission to confirm that I succeeded. And moreover it affects another one of my missions by failing that one too at the same time.

Anolytic said:
Kingdom of Danmark is destroyed by not having any territory left

you would think that means a kingdom is destroyed, but Warband is trick, you need to hunt down the lords too (or wait some time. Some modules will kill the lords after some time, others won't, and you need to wait for a luck AI fight to defeat them, or hunt them yourself). When you get the message about the kingdom being destroyed/rebellion is over, then it is destroyed, not when you conquer 100% of the territory.

kalarhan said:
you would think that means a kingdom is destroyed, but Warband is trick, you need to hunt down the lords too (or wait some time. Some modules will kill the lords after some time, others won't, and you need to wait for a luck AI fight to defeat them, or hunt them yourself). When you get the message about the kingdom being destroyed/rebellion is over, then it is destroyed, not when you conquer 100% of the territory.
I don't think that you read my posts.

None of the lords are running about. They are all in my prisons. Every last one of them. In the morning* (*not at midnight as I wrote earlier), I get the message that the kingdom is destroyed. But instead of getting an accompanying note that the mission is successful, I get a message that says my mission failed. And so, inexplicably, did the mission "Notes on Eriu".

I didn't notice this earlier, but in the last times I recreated this bug, I get the message that the mission succeeded when Jarl Thorgil talks to me and tells me he leaves my party, but that is after I got the message that the mission failed, and after "Notes on Eriu" mission failed and it doesn't come back.

Also, even though all the Danish lords join the new Danish faction under Jarl Thorgil, they still remain in my prison and I can go talk to them, torture them, ask them who they will vote for as marshall and I don't even have to release them from prison even though they are on my team now.
And the former king of Danmark, Horik, becomes a vassal of Jarl Thorgil and a lord (not king - but retaining the "Konungr" title) of Danmark. He will only "leave the realm" when I release him from my prison.

Anolytic said:

I am not replying to your bug report, just to your question on how pretender mission works, as you can see by the quotes.

the report will be handled by the devs.

Konungr Horek in my prison after his faction is destroyed and he becomes an ordinary vassal of Danmark:
20180309203426_1.jpg

20180309203139_1.jpg

Quest failed:

20180309203110_1.jpg

My Kingdom (which was never my kingdom):
20180309203107_1.jpg

Danmark eliminated (by me), but quest still fails:
20180309203103_1.jpg

20180309202359_1.jpg

After quest fails, it succeeds...:
20180309202307_1.jpg

"We must keep fighting", even though there's nobody to fight. All 5 lords + the king is in my prisons.
20180309201939_1.jpg

Note: All this can be recreated using the provided savefile. I tested it on a secondary computer to check that the bug could be reproduced.

kalarhan said:
Anolytic said:

I am not replying to your bug report, just to your question on how pretender mission works, as you can see by the quotes.

the report will be handled by the devs.
That is why I made this clarification in my first answer to you, since my first question was not specific enough:
"The question is: To complete the mission do you talk to the claimant who is in your party and ask about the progress, or do you just wait for the kingdom to be destroyed by itself when midnight passes and the kingdom doesn't have any fiefs?"

I do know the obvious stuff. I do know what kingdom to destroy and that all the lords must be dealt with. My question is specifically this:
Do you end the claimant quest by talking to the claimant, so that all I have to do is release a few more lords, approach them and convince them to join my cause, and then talk to my claimant? In other words, could it be that the fact that I let five lords remain supporters of the Danish King is what stops the claimant from realising that I have completed his quest when i ask him about my progress.
If someone could answer me this I could get going on this workaround by loading an earlier save, while I wait for the devs to work on my bug report.

It seems to me, that the problem that causes my bug issue is a checklist that is in the wrong order.
When morning comes, the game first realises that Danmark is no more - because they have no territories and no free lords.
Then it realises that I am Norse Rebels faction, and because Danmark is no more, Norse Rebels are transformed into Danmark.
But since I was norse rebels, it tells me that my kingdom is no more because Norse Rebels was turned into Danmark.
These three things equate that my claimant mission failed, because Norse Rebels have no territory anymore, so it is as if my attempt to take over Danmark was beaten back.
Only after this does the system check and see that I have the claimant in my party and he is made king of Danmark, thus coming to me and telling me he leaves my party. Therefore the mission now succeeded.
"Notes of Eriu" mission seems to be volatile and have a tendency to get failed as collateral damage whenever any other mission fails. At least certain types of missions.

My guess is that I could circumvent this checklist order malfunction if I could trigger the mission to end (and succeed) manually. And what stops me from triggering this is the 5 lords still supporting King Horik being interpreted by the system as if Danmark still has a fighting chance. Remove this factor and when I ask Jarl Thorgil he will tell me that I have succeeded.

This is why I asked if someone has experience completing claimant missions.

Anolytic said:
Do you end the claimant quest by talking to the claimant

destroy kingdom (conquer 100%, destroy lords parties - all of them)
wait for about 1 day (world map, not in a town/tavern/etc)
event is triggered, you get a message about victory, click continue, message about lords switching faction with rebellion win, click continue, dialog with new king (pretender) shows up automagicaly, gets achievement and quest is over.

kalarhan said:
Anolytic said:
Do you end the claimant quest by talking to the claimant

destroy kingdom (conquer 100%, destroy lords parties - all of them)
wait for about 1 day (world map, not in a town/tavern/etc)
event is triggered, you get a message about victory, click continue, message about lords switching faction with rebellion win, click continue, dialog with new king (pretender) shows up automagicaly, gets achievement and quest is over.
Thanks! Then my idea to work around the bug won't help.

Anolytic said:
Thanks! Then my idea to work around the bug won't help.

I didnt check your game or savefiles, but if you want to workaround something the easier way is to check the game code. You can alter it or edit the savegame with the appropriate flags. Remember that is hacking/cheating, and devs cant offer help/support later if you do that.

see menus "notification_faction_defeated", "notification_rebels_switched_to_faction"
dialog with context "tc_rebel_thanks"
and simple trigger for
Code:
  # Check if a faction is defeated every day
  (24,

it shows all conditions (quest value, slot value, global value, etc), easy to bypass any condition.

you can (and should) wait for devs reply for a official word.

Thanks. I will wait for devs to respond as you said before trying any of that.

Your previous response did however point to a possible solution:

I always rest my party in towns/hofs/monasterys. I tried going out into the open world and resting instead and it didn't change anything. It went by exactly the same way as when I rested in towns. Besides, the first time I encountered the bug I was travelling on the map through the night.
However I experimented a bit further, and I tried releasing my prisoners before camping in OW, and that made a difference. Now I didn't immediately encounter the bug. I will test it further. I may have to track down all the lords all over the map (at least one respawned in Northymbre) and net rest in any town for a while, or wait for them to defect, but if it's a viable solution I am happy.

I will test it if it works, but in any case, thank you for your help and for the clear and concise information.

EDIT: Hmm. Unfortunately the workaround of releasing the lords and camping on the map was a one-time thing. I'm unable to recreate it.

EDIT2: I was able to recreate it after all. Releasing all lords except for the king and waiting for them to gradually defect from Danmark until King Horik had 0 fiefs and 0 lords supporting him. Next morning I got the message that Danmark was destroyed, Norse Rebels had lost all land and Thorgil left my party. However the mission to aid Jarl Thorgil was marked as failed (before being re-issued as completed), and so was the 'mission' "Notes on Eriu".

It definitaly is a bug. A similar sort of thing happens when you switch out your minister when you make your own faction. the quests "resolve dispute" and "procure gift"(or something like that) fail even if you don't have them active.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, aslong as the rebellion is sucessful it won't really effect anything. Unless it is the Notes on Eriu quest you are bothered about.

I've done the rebellions once and I hated them, you can't hold off on giving fiefs which means you have to take them for yourself or give them to the claimant if you have no other vassals yet. Which means when the rebellion is successful there are no fiefs to give. So they all will eventually leave anyway.

Hi Anolytic,

After quest fails, it succeeds...
We will check what is happening to work that way.

I have done some minor tweaks to my game. There should however be no way they would affect the outcome here.
Even-though you might be doing no harm to the game, we don't know how deep those tweaks affected the game. Please, try to check every bug you report in vanilla game, from the beginning to the report. An old tweak to the game might affect the nominal running of a current non-tweaked savegame.

CeltiberoCaesar said:
Even-though you might be doing no harm to the game, we don't know how deep those tweaks affected the game. Please, try to check every bug you report in vanilla game, from the beginning to the report. An old tweak to the game might affect the nominal running of a current non-tweaked savegame.

That may be, but I encountered a key symptom of this bug long before I even did any tweaks to my game. When I first took up the cause of the claimant, if I then went to him and told him that I could no longer support his cause, in addition to his mission failing, the mission "Notes on Eriu" would also fail. I've encountered this consistently many times. Only a couple of times, when I had taken only 2 fiefs for the claimant was I able to end my support for him and fail his quest without also failing the Eriu quest. However I figured it wouldn't really affect my campaign as I was planning on succeeding in the quest and defeating Denmark for the claimant. I thought that I would circumvent this bug by succeeding the quest.

CeltiberoCaesar said:
We will check what is happening to work that way.

Thx

Back
Top Bottom