SP Native Civilians Mod - 0.8 Beta

Users who are viewing this thread

Lav

Sergeant Knight at Arms
This is my first attempt to do something with the way civilians dress and behave in the world of Warband.

At the moment, I did the following:

1. Town walkers no longer dress in the same clothing - instead their outlook depends on town's current prosperity. The richer the town, the more expensively they dress up.
2. Not only Khergit and Sarranid, but other cultures also received a certain "national style" (to a very limited extent - there's simply not enough civilian clothes in the game to provide each nation with it's own distinct set of poor/average/rich clothing).

How it works.

In Native, there are 6 town walker troops total: male and female version for Khergit, Sarranid and the rest. I expanded the list of town walkers, giving 6 walkers to each nation (poor/average/rich version of male and female walker, respectively). This required quite a bit of work digging through the game items and sorting them by their looks and culture. Then I replaced the init_town_walkers script with my own version. The script is also responsible for generating village walkers, which I haven't yet touched, so I left the code as is for villages. For towns, however, the script determines town culture (thus selecting one of six walker sets), and then town prosperity, which determines chances for each type of walker to appear on the streets. The lower the prosperity, the less there are rich walkers and more poor ones (for prosperity 0, 20% of walkers will be average and 80% poor, while for prosperity 100, there will be equal amount of rich and average walkers and no poor ones).

Clothing assignment to walkers is still far from ideal, but at least now townsfolk of different cultures actually looks different.

For those interested, python files can be downloaded from http://www.mediafire.com/?6udh4vn1x85g9hl

Note that this is still a work in progress, though. Don't be surprised if the most wealthy town walker will suddenly ask you for money because he cannot feed his family - I didn't get to modify that part of code yet. :smile:

Current plans (in no particular order):

1. Modify beggar code so only poor town walkers will ask for money. DONE.
2. Expand the mod to include villagers as well. To a limited extent, I just used poor/average townsman clothing for now.
3. Integrate civilian clothing (or any civilian-looking items) from OSP mods. DONE.
4. Bring more life to town streets (increase walker number somewhat, add special walkers like village blacksmith or visiting foreign merchants etc).
5. Dress up merchants, they look really out of place now.
6. Suggestions and ideas are welcome. :smile:

There's one huge problem though, and it's clothing variety. There is simply not enough civilian clothing in the game. At the very least, I need 36 clothing items per type (6 cultures * 3 prosperity levels * 2 genders), and at least twice as much to provide some variety. A lot can be achieved by repainting and retexturing already existing meshes, and to a certain extent that has been done in OSP Items, but OSP Items mostly features male body clothing, while the biggest problems actually are female dresses, footwear and headwear.

So if someone skilled in the arcane arts of modelling and texturing would be interested in dressing up entire cultures, help would be much appreciated.

Download URL #1:
Download URL #2:

Working on adding OSP stuff to enhance clothing selection. Also completely re-done clothes assignment to factions - now there is finally some real national style to each of them. I haven't yet received upload privileges on MB Repository, so will upload a bit later. Also, some screenshots (several contain bugs already fixed).

Whoops... Attempt to add OSP Cloaks failed at first attempt. :smile:

But finally works. Though these cloaks look ugly, so unless this is fixed Rhodoks will need something else for headwear. Dunno what though.

Some swadian civilians on the streets. No problems with Swadians, they were fine from the first attempt.

And a few nords. These too didn't cause any problems.

War has never been so terrible to poor Vaegirs - half of them are missing legs! :smile:

Yeah, poor guys. Luckily, this is already fixed - I mistyped the boots name.

Khergit skinhead girl. Seems the flag "itp_doesnt_cover_hair" is there for a reason! Fixed by now.

Some random sarranid street walker. Or is it khergit? Damn, I forgot.

Vaegirs finally got their legs back!

There's one huge problem though, and it's clothing variety. There is simply not enough civilian clothing in the game. At the very least, I need 36 clothing items per type (6 cultures * 3 prosperity levels * 2 genders), and at least twice as much to provide some variety. A lot can be achieved by repainting and retexturing already existing meshes, and to a certain extent that has been done in OSP Items, but OSP Items mostly features male body clothing, while the biggest problems actually are female dresses, footwear and headwear.

So if someone skilled in the arcane arts of modelling and texturing would be interested in dressing up entire cultures, help would be much appreciated.

In openBRF you can right click on a rigged mesh and add a feminized frame. That will allow you to make male clothes have a feminine touch until you find more osp female. Lol

Well, the problem is, even this approach can't solve all problems - only alleviate them somewhat. Even if we disregard the fact that I specifically do not want to dress civilian females in adapted male clothing. :smile:

Besides, I have managed to solve the dress problem, even though I had to dress rhodok girls according to swadian fashion, and nord girls according to vaegir fashion. But the most serious problem is lack of female-appropriate footwear, and this is something not easily solvable with BrfEdit.

there is also a colorize uniform tool in openBRF, you can use that to make variations...

and you should use openBRF instead of BRFedit

Hmm, I tried it but it doesn't seem to do anything.

Anyway, learning how to change the textures was my next step in case nobody volunteers, so it's probably a moot point. :smile:

And yes, I'm using OpenBRF, just mixed things up a bit (it's late and I've been digging through game objects all day so the head hurts like hell).

Thanks for advice and support everyone! :smile:

Uploaded new version to the MB Repository.

Most important work is done. Many scripts dealing with town walkers have been seriously modified or rewritten from scratch. In fact the entire approach to town walkers have been changed. Instead of having 8 predefined walkers per town, the game generates a random bunch of walkers for every visit. Spies, however, are generated by the old method, so they should have same looks and gender from visit to visit (but they may dress as a different citizen class, well, it's their job after all). As the result the new code only uses 5 slots out of 30 that the original game dedicated to town walkers.

Scripts affected:

script_center_set_walker_to_type. Much simplified, it only detects spy and beggar walker types at the moment.
script_cf_center_get_free_walker. Useless, in the new system there's always a free walker, so it always returns a fixed value.
script_center_remove_walker_type_from_walkers. Same as script_center_set_walker_to_type.
script_init_town_walkers. Rewritten from scratch.
script_init_town_walker_agents. Expanded to detect agent type and store this information into agent slots.
script_agent_get_town_walker_details. Pretty useless now as all information is already in the agent slots.

Other changes.

1. Removed OSP Cloaks from the mod. Rhodoks will wear swadian headgear for now until I finish my own clothing variations.
2. Made villagers nation-specific as well (though they actually use poor/average town clothing at the moment).
3. Arbitrary number of town walkers can wander the streets, but there's code in MS which is assuming that number of town walkers is 8, so that code needs to be identified and fixed first.
4. Beggars are always poorly clothed.

TODO list.

1. Dress up merchants.
2. Make peasants look different from townsfolk of the same culture.
3. Implement special walkers (smith, priest, pilgrim, travelling merchant, minstrel...). Ideally - with their own dialog options.
4. Implement patrolling guards (if it's possible to do without scene editing, otherwise may clash with scene-improving mods).
5. Add clothing variety (and learn GIMP in the process).
6. Additional testing for spy and beggar (both seem to work, but I didn't have time for proper testing).
7. Additional testing for townsfolk dialog.

Version in MB Repository:

http://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?id=3057

Oh no, not simultaneously, just in quick succession. :smile:

Besides, map tool is pretty low priority. First, this is just an experiment for me. Second, there are other people working on the same goal (and doing it better).

Interested?

splitcolourhoods.jpg

Hoods_up.jpg

Hood_colors.jpg

I made them for the Vikingr mod but I think they might do for some peasant wear as well.

Sweet. :smile:

What are disk requirements for these, though? I'm planning to compress the mod somewhat as spending 80 megabytes on civilian clothing feels a bit excessive to me. But these hoods look nice, so unless the textures are 2048*2048 I'll probably be able to squeeze a few.

They're not terribly huge. The texture sheets are 512x512 each.

The models are around 300 vertices, depending on the model.

If you want some differing textures to denote regional variation, let me know and I might make some edits for you.

Ikaguia said:
when it is finished I'll add it to FIMP...
Well you'll have to wait a bit. This mod needs some re-texturing work to be done, and this kind of work takes an awful lot of time and effort from me. :sad:

Back
Top Bottom