SP - General Civil War / Faction Splitting / Faction Resurgence

Users who are viewing this thread

[ Please vote your opinion whatever it might be, agree, disagree or 'meh', even in the unlikely case that this could be another voice for the same idea suggested elsewhere, votes could help bring more attention to it, as this is a very desirable mechanic to have ]

Sort of like in Rome Total War II, if the Faction becomes too large, and over too far an area (or a section of it is cut off and isolated from the rest of its kingdom), and depending on the Clans, they might decide to revolt, or split off.

This would be great, as it would allow for "INFINITE CAMPAIGN" instead of having to start a new game when its down to 2-3 factions (which is only inevitable despite the goodwork that TW has done to address that).

That is one reason why I want the Character import/export option, for when some factions get wiped out, and I can ease the start of a new game (without the gold grind at the beginning).

This would also be another way to utilize the 'Kingdom decision' mechanic, should a vote on the critical issue arise, with enough bad feelings (extremely negative relations) that it might prompt civil war, where-upon the disgruntled parties will either split away or grudgingly remain. If the player is part of the faction when this occurs he will be prompted as to which side he supports (maybe an 'abstain' choice but I don't think that would work...).

Another factor could be based on how spread out a faction is, territory-wise (strained). Additional factor could be cultures of cities and settlements taken being different from the conqueror, introducing loyalty penalties and greater chance for rebellion or something.

Last edited:
Yes! Dynamic civil wars would be cool!

I'd also like more factions at gamestart, far smaller. Maybe as small as 1 town and 2-3 castles for each faction. That would slow down snowballing as you would need your full faction - strenght to siege a town.

Some smaller factions would be neat, but that would likely come far later. Perhaps small fringe nation states, basically trader factions (because they wouldn't have enough power to be a regular faction).

Also, perhaps a 5% chance for a disgruntled or exiled clan, or clan member to either join or form their own mercenary or raider group (depending on the characteristics {cruelty, greed, etc} with the possibility to reintegrate with a kingdom at some point).

All this to aid in it being 'dynamic', for the infinite campaign.

Bannerlord is coming along quite nicely.

We really need a civil war (Coup) option...
This is why:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Has anyone tried killing off Rhagea, for example after marrying Ira, passing Inheritance policy, and enabling death option?

Really curious. Asking for a friend, thats all. Purely hypothetical. Until I frag her on a battlefield, at least.

What really caused this to come up is the series of terrible decisions she and others in the kingdom have made.

First, Khuzait is at war with us. Then maybe an ingame month later, Aserai and Sturgian declare war upon South Empire at same time.
South Empire has strength of about 5k.
Khuzait has 5k.
Aserai has 5k.
Sturgia has 2.5k...

Onira was lost but quickly retaken from Sturgia. Not long after that, a proposal for peace with Khuzait is raised. Reasonable, alright (its gone on for a while, and I don't want to put in effort at trying to destabilize the faction's stability over there).

A few days later, another vote for peace with Aserai....
Why? It just started, sure they took back Husn Fuq, but it was originally theirs (maintain status quo of non-empire factions).
Then 2 days after that, ANOTHER call for peace, now for Sturgia... WTF!?!?!?!

They have 2.3k forces. We have 5k and no longer fighting on two additional fronts. The b***h must now die and any more ridiculously stupid supporters must have their influence reduced through policies.

She and the others seem a bit too eager to start paying out peace tributes!!!

We really need a civil war (Coup) option...
This is why:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Has anyone tried killing off Rhagea, for example after marrying Ira, passing Inheritance policy, and enabling death option?

Really curious. Asking for a friend, thats all. Purely hypothetical. Until I frag her on a battlefield, at least.

What really caused this to come up is the series of terrible decisions she and others in the kingdom have made.

First, Khuzait is at war with us. Then maybe an ingame month later, Aserai and Sturgian declare war upon South Empire at same time.
South Empire has strength of about 5k.
Khuzait has 5k.
Aserai has 5k.
Sturgia has 2.5k...

Onira was lost but quickly retaken from Sturgia. Not long after that, a proposal for peace with Khuzait is raised. Reasonable, alright (its gone on for a while, and I don't want to put in effort at trying to destabilize the faction's stability over there).

A few days later, another vote for peace with Aserai....
Why? It just started, sure they took back Husn Fuq, but it was originally theirs (maintain status quo of non-empire factions).
Then 2 days after that, ANOTHER call for peace, now for Sturgia... WTF!?!?!?!

They have 2.3k forces. We have 5k and no longer fighting on two additional fronts. The b***h must now die and any more ridiculously stupid supporters must have their influence reduced through policies.

She and the others seem a bit too eager to start paying out peace tributes!!!
Are you paying tributes to all 3 of those kingdoms? I would assume that Sturgia is paying you guys, should be able to check who pays who in your kingdom tab.

No. Pretty sure its us paying Sturgia. Just like it was for the other 2. How long do the tribute payments continue for?
No set duration, until war is declared again. When you look at your kingdom tab, who is the faction your kingdom wants to go to war with the most?

I have a feeling its not going to be sturgia and your kingdom felt like it was worth paying to get out of them to likely start whatever war they actually want in due time. Larger kingdoms will pay smaller kingdoms to **** off essentially, until they've decided they are the main target (doesn't seem to be the case in your situation)

Also I'm all for civil wars if they end up being needed. We are still waiting on rebellions to be implemented to see how well they deal with snowballing, if its still a issue then we will probably need civil wars and/or alliances.

I like this idea a lot! Here's why:

Some players mentioned the issue of snowballing kingdoms, and while I think TW balanced it quite well to keep this dynamic under control, you will probably end up in a situation were one or two kingdoms dominate Calradia. I hope Bannerlord won't fall into the common linear game design trap where there is a certain endpoint you have to reach in a playthrough; a dynamic, organic, infinite campaign sounds much better to me!

It would not only make sense gameplaywise, but also in terms of "historical" plausibility and immersion. If a kingdom is small and under threat of invasion, its lords will be loyal to their king because unity is the best protection against outside threats. When a kingdom grows so big that it has no external enemies to fear any more, internal conflicts (e.g. succession crises) should pop up because the lords don't worry about outside interference any more.

Here are some ways how this could be represented in game:
  • Lords/ladies could start voting for decentralisation policies (e.g. repeal sacred majesty)
  • Disgruntled nobles could form factions that secede under a new monarch
  • If a king dies, his family members who don't inherit the kingship could become pretenders, gather support and potentially start a civil war. (ok, full disclosure: I would actually like to see the entire feudalism&succession system from Crusader Kings implemented in Bannerlord, with primogeniture, gavelkind et cetera. But this is perhaps too much to ask :smile: )

I like this idea a lot! Here's why:

Some players mentioned the issue of snowballing kingdoms, and while I think TW balanced it quite well to keep this dynamic under control, you will probably end up in a situation were one or two kingdoms dominate Calradia. I hope Bannerlord won't fall into the common linear game design trap where there is a certain endpoint you have to reach in a playthrough; a dynamic, organic, infinite campaign sounds much better to me!
  • Lords/ladies could start voting for decentralisation policies (e.g. repeal sacred majesty)
  • Disgruntled nobles could form factions that secede under a new monarch
  • If a king dies, his family members who don't inherit the kingship could become pretenders, gather support and potentially start a civil war. (ok, full disclosure: I would actually like to see the entire feudalism&succession system from Crusader Kings implemented in Bannerlord, with primogeniture, gavelkind et cetera. But this is perhaps too much to ask :smile: )

Exactly. As it stands, there is the option ingame to 'Vote to expel clan from faction'. Currently, though, the lords and clans don't have any interaction between them, aside from what happens with the [capture a lord from another faction because disagreement between them]. Of course, this will have to be carefully balanced so that kingdoms aren't constantly ripping themselves to pieces, nor too static as they are currently. Perhaps eventually they will have duels and disagreements.

But I sincerely hope they create a civil war/faction resurgence feature, as it would add value to actually having a family ingame. As it takes ages for children to become active members of a clan, by that time, often several factions are eliminated or barely existing, and if everything has finished, then there is less to work towards. Hence, you might as well start a new game (and this right here is the reason I want a character import/export option, so that if too many factions are rendered impotent or extinct, that I can go back in time with the hope that things remain better balanced between them). Also, I never cared for the prospect of "Huge Empire" (in current game, my Rome has taken over all of North Empire, most of Southern Empire, a third of the former Western Empire territory).

In the game I try to act as a force of balance. Sturgia barely exists (I'm surprised that none of the other factions have really done anything with them for ages ingame, as they have maybe a 1/3 or 1/4 of their starting territories), I try to keep them as they are and try to assist when they declare war against Khuzait (who would quickly wipe the floor with them).

Currently the most concerned with the tenuous survival of the Aserai. They have 1/2 original territory and often at war with Vlandia, South Empire and Khuzait. I would have liked to have an adversarial, annual war with them, but can't do that if they are just hanging in there.

It seems that most of the rest of the clans in my Roman Empire often want war with Aserai, which I must stop each time (influence costly).

I can only hope that I quickly unlock ability to barter settlements (then I can give myself fiefs, before hopefully, giving them back to the original faction they belong with).

Unfortunately, the trade skill takes eternity to level up. Hopefully my character will still live by that time and I can try this idea.

Back
Top Bottom