tried Circles, Squares, shield wall, charged them ahead

in the other hands,
2 handed spears are good to stop cavalry
like Menavliaton infantry

is this intended?
or it will be fix?

LeyJo.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Circles work for me very well, when i have a lot of spears and the enemy a lot of horses. I make circles and in the middle my archers, when i have only a few units and the enemy a lot of riders. It help to place another circle inside the bigger circle

iv found troops in sheild wall get destroyed by charging infantry

Depends. A shield wall is only effective if the have 3 rows of soldiers. If you make a shield wall of just 1 row.. its like a thin twig.. you break it easily.. I found that a 3-4 rows of soldiers stop horses in their tracks. The horses get stuck in the wall of soldiers and are put to rest in no time, however the cavalry that do break the shield wall.. they can wreak havoc on the back so you need a line of defence behind the shield wall to stop the cav that got through.

I usually have archers on a hill for this or myself. The archers on the hill are actually really insane...

Spears need a buff, perhaps a +100% damage bonus against horses. Spears should also damage horses by just holding the spear in the ready position as the horse runs into it.

Spears need a buff, perhaps a +100% damage bonus against horses. Spears should also damage horses by just holding the spear in the ready position as the horse runs into it.

I agree with the damage buff against *unarmored* horses.

Spearman should be able to couch spears, but making them unable to move.. Otherwise you could just walk around with a spear in hand, instantly damaging horses.

Also well armored horses should be able to resist the 100% damage of spear vs horse.

I agree with the damage buff against *unarmored* horses.

Spearman should be able to couch spears, but making them unable to move.. Otherwise you could just walk around with a spear in hand, instantly damaging horses.

Also well armored horses should be able to resist the 100% damage of spear vs horse.

Unable to move but able to turn could work.

Yeah, because they don't attack back properly. Once infantry line engages you need to f1+f3 for them to fight properly
that would break the formation. The whole point of a sheild wall is to hold a hard line of defence that the enemy push against - the infantry are supposed to either strike over the top or do quick stabs between the sheilds (look up Roman/Viking infantry fighting).

A sheild wall should have a significant advantage over troops not in one

I played captain last week and a player had some elite spearmen squat down on the only remaining flag whilst I was cav. I almost couldnt touch him unless I ran past his units and instantly ran out. My AI buddies needed to be guided by the hand to avoid them getting stuck on the spear unit. Or be turned into shishkebab.

I wouldnt call it useless but its been a few days since those matches and spears seem to have gotten a massive nerf. I think thats more the problem to be honest. Against cav while holding a flag (and if the cav has no ranged option) circle is really powerfull.

I always found that f4 (advance to enemy) works better. They keep Formation and try to engage, works decently. But Shieldwalls are a defensive Formation against Charges and Arrows, if you want maximum damage u will need to let the Formation break.

Personly i found Circle formation as weak becouse Horse archers tend too hit soldiers in back as well circle formation is weak against infantry charge

Last edited:
The balance is pretty strange to me it feels like archers counter cavalry and infantry without shields. While shielded infantry counter archers a bit counter intuitive.

Circles are great if it’s not against horse archers. Trap a couple in then charge your troops at them. Reform the circle after you kill the bastards.

If the enemy have alot of cav, I will put my inf in a circle and archers in a smaller circle inside... seems very effective! (After I have killed off their inf)

And I'll use my cav to finish off their archers.

Also I find that once setting my soilders in a circle, tell them to face a direction.

If they are facing the enemy they will keep moving.

Circles work for me very well, when i have a lot of spears and the enemy a lot of horses. I make circles and in the middle my archers, when i have only a few units and the enemy a lot of riders. It help to place another circle inside the bigger circle

I tried this and my archers/xbowmen didn't fire effeceintly. tried it a couple of times in custom battle mode because I was curious, and set up a battle of me being vlandians with about 33/66 xbows/infantry vs khuzait horse archers. My xbow men couldn't fire at all from inside the circle, just a few stray bolts here and there whilst the horse archers fired continuously and slaughter me. Tried again in line and then the xbow men fired as usual and could snipe a few horses here and there. I looked epic having a circle of men with archers in the middle, surrounded by horse archers circling them but it was very, very ineffecient thus no point at all using it.

Back
Top Bottom