Chronicles of Talera 2.0 Released! (Patch 2.2 Download HERE)

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the suggestion, Hokie. I think until I can add in different bonuses for different skills, we can consider changing the names back if they're too confusing..etc.

The race tip is helpful, but as Kardio said, we've luckily not had much issues with the current system. I didn't know you could do that though, so thanks.

Nice firearms tip. Thinking about it, its extremely simple but looks pretty good. I'll work on adding particle effects to the projectile (that is possible, right?), too.

PATCH NEWS:

HAving excellent results with the siege modifications I made.  I am converting a little of my messy code to more concise scripts.  In the process, I've located some areas where certain features (such as the druid illusions) were not active when they should be.  Expect an all around better experience.

With progress being good, I just need to make sure I haven't broken something in the process.  I'll be doing some testing tomorrow.  Aside from those things, all I need to do is finalize the gear for the Blighted Plague's new revived troops and give them some helmets.  The LOD version of their head uses the _old version of the texture and with the changes I've made does not look right.  Giving them some sort of helmet resolves this.

I forsee the patch being released late tomorrow my time (it is 11:10pm here now, so this time or later tomorrow I will get the work to Elenmmare for upload).  It will be a full re-release due to the number of changes, and not save game compatible.  Unless  I hit a major roadblock or something crops up between then and now, it should be okay for release.  As always, no promises.  I have pushed back dates before :smile:

That said, I want to get to the release 3 stuff, so I am anxious to get this finished.

Sounds good. I'll be around my computer all of tomorrow, so no delay like last time, I hope :smile:.

Why.so.seriousa? said:
oh by the way, i found a Chronicles of Talera website, i wonder who put  that up?

Ah, that was put up by Kardio. I think he's keeping it for future use, down the road.

Elenmmare said:
Sounds good. I'll be around my computer all of tomorrow, so no delay like last time, I hope :smile:.

Why.so.seriousa? said:
oh by the way, i found a Chronicles of Talera website, i wonder who put  that up?

Ah, that was put up by Kardio. I think he's keeping it for future use, down the road.

Yeah, it's mainly a space holder right now and used for FTP purposes.  I believe Glaehron may help me with the design as it's been a few years since I did web design.  If not, I'll eventually get to it.  I was hoping to get some more screenshots up, but there haven't been a ton posted here yet from the new release.

yeah, using firearms for magic is simple, but works pretty decent in my testing.  Muskets in my mod will be staffs and you hold them pointed at the enemy.  I added some particle effects so that when you 'fire' you have some flames (using the fireball) or other effects that come out of your hand, but I didn't do anything on the flying_ammo itself.  I plan to improve that fireball model by adding a tail and making it semi-transparent, etc.

Also, the main thing I love about the different races is being able to have different sounds for the grunt, yell, die, victory, etc.  So in the next release of my mod it will actually sound like you are fighting a jawa, tusken, wookiee, etc.  :smile:  You could just re-use the existing man_body models for a new Feron race and put their helmet/gloves/armor over it like you are currently doing.  But I think it would be really cool to hear some crazy grunts, snarls, and other noises as you were fighting them and would help gameplay.  Probably find some decent animal sounds online.  :wink:

Anyway, great work!

HokieBT said:
yeah, using firearms for magic is simple, but works pretty decent in my testing.  Muskets in my mod will be staffs and you hold them pointed at the enemy.  I added some particle effects so that when you 'fire' you have some flames (using the fireball) or other effects that come out of your hand, but I didn't do anything on the flying_ammo itself.  I plan to improve that fireball model by adding a tail and making it semi-transparent, etc.

Also, the main thing I love about the different races is being able to have different sounds for the grunt, yell, die, victory, etc.  So in the next release of my mod it will actually sound like you are fighting a jawa, tusken, wookiee, etc.  :smile:  You could just re-use the existing man_body models for a new Feron race and put their helmet/gloves/armor over it like you are currently doing.  But I think it would be really cool to hear some crazy grunts, snarls, and other noises as you were fighting them and would help gameplay.  Probably find some decent animal sounds online.  :wink:

Anyway, great work!

Right now we're not looking to add in a lot of flying projectile type magic, though who knows down the line.  I am going to be adding a lot more magical elements to the next edition, but all the magic I am putting into the game is based on uniqueness and utility more so then eye candy.  Even without too many special effects, it should make for a unique and exciting game experience.  I can't give away too much at this point in development though.  :wink:

Ahh good idea.  I hadn't looked at how the sound effects were generated in battle very closely yet, so I was unaware how time consuming it would be.  It sounds like it won't be too bad.  I'll give that a look for next edition.  Just getting all the unique music tracks in this release took more time away from coding then I wanted, but in the end, I really enjoy the theme that each faction's music sets.

Thanks for the kind words.  Coming from someone like you, who I consider to have one of the best looking and enjoyable mods out there, it means a lot.

Thanks for the comments on my star wars mod, its nice to hear.  :smile:  If you find some sound effects for the Feron and want to get them in game then feel free to send me a PM. I could send you a quick summary and the entire process honestly takes about 10 minutes and minimal changes to your code.  Also, I know quests and other stuff are your main concern, but there's been some interesting things done with unique items before, you may be aware of these, but I'll list them again just in-case...  1) Its possible for items to give skill bonuses when equipped  2) Band of Warriors has a "give_special_loot" code so there is a random chance that a special 'unique' item is dropped after a tough battle  3) KON_Air created diablo-like set items, which I implemented into my mod at one point, but later removed.  Here's some screen shots tho:  http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,40510.msg1215273.html#msg1215273

HokieBT said:
1) Its possible for items to give skill bonuses when equipped 

These are already in-game.  You need to adventure in Talera a bit more.  :grin:  I've even got more advanced bonuses attached to items, such as things that allow you to recruit advanced troops, stay in all faction castles for free, hire twice the normal amount of recruits, and hire recruits for free.  Another item modifies your Necromancy skill so you have a higher chance of raising the dead.

2) Band of Warriors has a "give_special_loot" code so there is a random chance that a special 'unique' item is dropped after a tough battle

I could do this, but I've preferred to have more control over the items so far.  I've implemented an armory for the faction gear so you can earn the right to use it as you go.  This is only implemented for the Feron so far since the other factions don't have new models yet. 

3) KON_Air created diablo-like set items, which I implemented into my mod at one point, but later removed.  Here's some screen shots tho:  http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,40510.msg1215273.html#msg1215273

I know exactly how to do this, the script I have for adding stats could easily be adapted to do this with a few extra try and comparison statements.  So far, I've not implemented anything like that.  It would only require adding probably two or three lines of code to the scripts I have pre-existing though.

I've programmed off and on for a number of years, so just learning the limitations and quirks of the module system has been the hardest part.  Converting the logic from say, C++ to this python based system has been pretty straightforward.  Since I've got quite a bit of that down, I'm of the opinion that almost nothing I want to do is impossible.  It's just a matter of time versus reward.  Some things, of course, are nearly impossible given some of the current hardcoded data.  You will be seeing a lot more effects attached to items going forward, both simple stat increases (which I have a script designed that allows me to attach bonuses to an item in about 30 seconds or less), and other unique bonuses.   

I see Hokie's points about different races and I agree. It would make things much more straightforward for the Feron, and allow you to use open-faced helms on them. Right now you have helms implemented that were really designed to fit the Feron head and don't like exactly right on a human head :wink: But then again, it's not mine to implement and I know you're a busy person. Like they say "if it's not broke, don't fix it." And I suppose it's better to look toward the future instead of the past, since we're moving on from the Feron now.

Is that patch still on track for tonight, or should we all just keep playing our old saves?
(not trying to be pushy, just curious)

MarcusValerius said:
Is that patch still on track for tonight, or should we all just keep playing our old saves?
(not trying to be pushy, just curious)

Good question, been spending some time with the family.  Also, I found myself irritated with the Blighted Plague look tonight, so I just designed some rusty chainmail.  Hopefully will be out tonight.  Worst case it would be early tomorrow morning though.  Expect the Blighted Plague to get a little bit of a facelift with their other additions this patch.

EDIT: Didn't have enough time to complete testing tonight.  I will be up early tomorrow to finish up on it and get it to Elenmmare.  Then whenever he gets a chance to post it it will be online for everyone.  Sorry guys, just a liittle longer.  I'm going to go get some rest.

EDIT2: Currently double checking Feron quest line for any trace of former bugs.

EDIT3: Results were good.  Now testing siege changes once again.

NukularPower said:
Yay!

edit: oops, patch not out yet.. drat

Hehe, Elenmmare usually uploads it, but he may have gone off to bed.  I gave the mod data to him.  I have terrible luck trying to upload to the repository myself.

Yeh.. sorry guys. I got home at midnight, and for some weird reason, the repository didn't like me. It waited for two hours until I collapsed onto my bed from exhaustion :smile:. I'm uploading it again, now.

Thanks for holding in there guys. Download is here:

https://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?cid=7&id=936

Many thanks on the patch guys, I can finally try the Feron quests without cheating.

Also looking forward to the BP changes (my favorite undead faction!  .... wait a second.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom