SP - General Choosing your banner should be a reward for attaining clan tier 1

Users who are viewing this thread

Peanut_Brother

Sergeant
It's always felt strange to me that at the start of a new campaign, as a nobody, my character is parading around with a banner as it doesn't feel warranted yet. It's certainly a small change, but getting to design your banner once your character is a little more established would be a fun celebration. Plus from a role play perspective, the player could design the banner off of an experience they've had while establishing their clan.

I'd be curious if others feel this way or if I'm alone here.

Good suggestion actually!

It could even be later, for example when first forming a mercenary band or joining/creating a faction. Or at will after attained level 1 and before forming a mercenary band or joining/creating a faction.

This way, you can stay "lowborn", play as a bandit or a trader whithout ever creating a banner.

Exactly! I agree, it could be even later / at will. Whatever makes for more of a memorable moment for any given playthrough.

Good points

You're not alone, it seems strange to me. In Warband you chose your banner when you moved from nobody to noble... I don't understand the logic in Bannerlord.

I don't understand the logic in Bannerlord.

Yea, there are a lot of areas in Bannerlord where I get the feeling they just threw something up fast so that could have a public release. Which is fine. Since they'll definitely revisit those areas for the full implementation... right? Any day now.. :neutral:

Have to agree it felt better somehow having it be a reward for attaining rank (or choosing the right background) so would support the idea of having it kick in when your clan hits tier 1.

Yes please, in Warband you could start as the son of an impoverished noble and that option would get you a banner, and lords would even react to that (you being a noble, but from a house nobody knew or remembered), it made total sense. In Bannrlord you're just a farmer that did something with bandits and bam you're already a noble clan with a banner and everything, a quite boring introduction if you ask me

Yep. I really like the distinction between noble and non-noble in WB, and how it reflected the working and prejudices of medieval society. Becoming noble should be a major milestone in the game, not something handed out undeservedly at the beginning. I want my accomplishments to be noticeable and to matter, that's all the fun of a rags to riches story.

Yes please, in Warband you could start as the son of an impoverished noble and that option would get you a banner, and lords would even react to that (you being a noble, but from a house nobody knew or remembered), it made total sense. In Bannrlord you're just a farmer that did something with bandits and bam you're already a noble clan with a banner and everything, a quite boring introduction if you ask me
I would also like to see the banner tied to your parents being the “noble” option of each faction or later unlocked via achievement. You could also unlock more options to create a more complex banner as your clan levels up.

I totally agree.

Banner represents protagonist's character, ambitions, culture, goal, favored faction... I don't know anything about it as I start the game. That was part of the character development from slave trader to a lord... that feeling was great and it's lost in Bannerlord.

I think technically speaking; every clan needs a Banner and when you start the game you have a clan regardless of your position. I guess an easy fix would be just making your banner a plain brown until you reach clan tier 1? Then you can modify it.

I think that's a nice compromise without having to make considerable changes to the game mechanics.

Well... Really, carrying a banner does not make it proper heraldry.

Anyone could create a banner but unless you are noble, it´s a fraud and probably punished with death in most medivial societies. What would a band with a Lvl 1 player and his/her 10 reqruits have been counted as IRL? A mob, bandits or deserters probably - even if they spent all time hunting such parties. Carrying a banner would probably be a lesser crime on the list, where pretending beeing noble alone equals a deathsentence.

Starting with a plain banner - just a backgroundcolor - would suit well.

I´d suggest putting a status to the clan would be great. A Clan could be an Enterprice(traders, artisans etc), Bandits and Noble...(ETC!) Some you can switch at will and some have prerequirements. Noble should require some kind of knighthood. And they should come with pros and cons to support different playthoughs

Back
Top Bottom