Choosing own noble title when forming kingdom?

Users who are viewing this thread

vito397

Sergeant Knight
So when you form a kingdom and pick a culture, a popup would appear that say "Choose the form of titles for the lords of FACTION NAME", and you would have

Ruler: You would type what a ruler would be called here

Clan head: You would type what heads of clans would be called

So for example if I want to choose imperial culture I can still pick titles such dux, king-bishop, etc., or my lords being called landgraves, counts etd instead of being tied to High King, Grand Prince, Emperor or my lords being tied to being emirs or barons.

I think it would be much needed tool for immersiveness, and very, very simple to add in the base game, as it is entirely text based.

You have to choose between your native culture (rejecting the Empire) or Empire culture (embracing it). Every culture in the game has specific titles associated with it. Sturgian Jarls, Aserai Emirs etc. Makes no sense to have one restriction (only your native or Empire culture) and then implement something like this. (You don't get to rule just because your guys killed all the other guys - your kingdom has to have some form of legitimacy. You won't get that by declaring that all nobles of the realm shall henceforth be known as "Chief Bunny".)

Also - I'd like to encourage you to keep the following in mind whenever you come up with a "very, very simple to add" feature: There is a 99% likelihood that you're wrong, and a 100% likelihood that you have no idea what you're talking about.

You have to choose between your native culture (rejecting the Empire) or Empire culture (embracing it). Every culture in the game has specific titles associated with it. Sturgian Jarls, Aserai Emirs etc. Makes no sense to have one restriction (only your native or Empire culture) and then implement something like this. (You don't get to rule just because your guys killed all the other guys - your kingdom has to have some form of legitimacy. You won't get that by declaring that all nobles of the realm shall henceforth be known as "Chief Bunny".)

Also - I'd like to encourage you to keep the following in mind whenever you come up with a "very, very simple to add" feature: There is a 99% likelihood that you're wrong, and a 100% likelihood that you have no idea what you're talking about.
I have never seen a more arrogant response. Embracing or rejecting the Empire or native cultures is specifically tied to the questline, not some natural process in the game. If you really cared about the medieval statemaking process based on real history, it would also not make sense to then make a Sturgian-based kingdom anywhere in the Aserai lands, or to make a kingdom whatsoever based on cultures other than the Empire. I mean to note, what was the title of Theoderic? He was proclaimed legitimate by Zeno, a patrician and had the loyalty of the Senate. He was a rex? What was the dominion of Syagrius called? Was he an Emperor or was his realm called a regnum? Of course i mean he ruled in the absence of the Emperor as a governor, but until he was defeated by the Franks he ruled a pretty robust proto-state on his own, which fell 10 years after Rome.

Only Julius Nepos held the title of Emperor, but because he held a considerable amount of practical power before being ousted to Dalmatia after Romulus Augustulus, where he was murdered by his comes (then men-at-arms, only later a noble title of count). Despots of Epirus werent emperors. Morea? Serbian rulers werent emperors after Stefan Uroš or Dušan claimed the titles of Emperor of Serbs and Greeks. Their power shifted accordingly with their territory, and they became so the despots of Serbia until the Treaty with Sigismund of Luxembourg and until the disappearance of their state. Even when they were emperors, they were called autokratos, basileus etc. of Romania in the greek-speaking parts, and tsar of the Serbs and Greeks in the Slavic parts. But hey, they eally were close to being emperors not just in a practical sense but also a legal sense. They even adopted the tetragrammic cross of the Palaiologoi. Also interestingly, all of the states surrounding the Latin Empire had different title (Ducatus in the sense of Athens or Neopatras, even Naxos, while Rex Thessalonicae ruled in Thessalonica). Or if you want to be closer to the Bannerlord timeline, none of the Crusader states of the Levant were of the same rank, so County of Tripoli, Principality of Antionch, Kingdom of Jerusalem etc. Not to mention the Lombard duchies of southern Italy. The best example would be that the rulers of Trebizond really were Emperors, but the rulers of the prinicipality of Theodoro were not.

So yes, I do think I need to be a High King or and Emperor when making a state in Bannerlord. If I want to be called Basileus or "Chief Bunny", that is entirely my matter to decide. Bannerlord doesn't have or will never have the depth required for natural progression or use of noble titles or to even consider implementing any form of legitimism and the dichotomy between Empire and Native is not a question of legitimism but of constructed storyline and is there entirely for gameplay reasons. Thats not a problem thats just a limit of the game. Getting to type out the titles ourselves is the best the game can do for immersiveness. Even so, only the ruler and the heads of clans get titles, there's not even a marshal, who in my full right I could name chief bunny x2.

Also, yes. This is a very simple feature to add. Almost every mod in Warband, or most of those who had included Diplomacy, had it in. But it was not a choice to make at the start of a kingdom, but one to make in the camp menu. So I'd like to encourage you to keep the following in mind when replying to threads that you disagree with using snarky remarks: There is a 99% likelihood that you're wrong, and a 100% likelihood that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Last edited:
I have never seen a more arrogant response.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

The actual contents of your post, whilst designed to make you look super intelligent and knowing, really has no bearing whatsoever on the conversation at hand.

Best of luck in the future and I hope you find some enjoyment in your life and within the bounds of the game presented as it is.

As a programmer I can confirm, this would indeed be an incredibly simple feature to add. Create a variable that is linked to a text box, user enters in an alphanumaric response, that value is then put infront of your characters name.

Back
Top Bottom