Choose a time period you would have wanted to live in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Wolfang

Baron
I've always enjoyed thinking about what other time periods I would have liked to live in and as what.
So, I ask of you to make two choices;

1) One choice of time period based on your ancestors, which means you must choose a timeperiod according to where your ancestors were living at the time.

2) Choose a time period based simply on where when and s what you would have liked to be.

So for me;

1) For the past centuries I know the majority of my family has always lived in Flanders, I know I've got Austrian roots, Spanish roots and definitely some Viking roots (all have owned or attacked Flanders at one point in time) I would personally have loved living in the turmoil of post roman times, as a raiding viking. I like the fact that you are free to do as you please, take what you want, and settle wherever you want and start anew.

2) I also like the colonial period, when European powers owned almost the entire world. I think it would have been interesting to have been a wealthy noble or merchant of any of the western powers with large colonies and started a wealthy and profitable trade/plantations in a colony. I think the clothing in those days was pretty awesome as well, and the order and discipline in the armies must have been crazy high as well in order to make people line up in front of each other and shoot one another.

Other time periods/situations that would have been interesting to live in but are not in my 1) and 2) are WW2 and for some reason I've always been more interested by the german army, Roman Times conquering and mapping the edges of known world.

Live in? Probably no earlier than current time, what about medicine and average life expectancy. I'd love to see some late republican/early imperial Rome though. As well as Greece during the Peloponnesian War. Maybe somewhen during the Viking Age, too. And the second half of the 30's in Germany.
To live in, though, certainly some time in the future. Preferably if-when there is some space exploration going on.

1) The Renaissance for its beauty and investment in arts. I'd love to be a painter or a sculptor, preferably one of Leonardo's apprentices.
2) Definitely during the time of Alexander the Great's campaigns in Persia and India. I would love to be Hephaestion (if you know what I mean :wink:)
3) The far future, where space travel and colonization have been made possible. I would love to be a pirate.

Now you can imagine you're in all those past ages pretty easily, but nobody alive then could have imagined the world would have been anything like it is today or imagine what life in the future is as well as we can imagine what life in the past is.

I would have liked to live in Constantinople during the reign of Justinian and Theodora. Constantinople must have been the jewel of the civilized world(and free bread every morning!).

Back
Top Bottom